Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pascal Groß the raumdeuter - officially leaves for Dortmund :(

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Baleba will (I suspect) play more this season, assuming that we play a 3-4-3 (not a given, but possible) then there’s only space for two central midfielders. Apart from Baleba and WBG, there’s Milner, Moder, Hinshelwood and Buonanotte who are natural in the centre.

That’s six players vying for two positions. I can’t see that we’ll be rushing out to buy two CMs. If we can improve the squad then we might be in for one, but really we need to move at least one of our six on to make room for them, we’re overstocked.

Edit: and I forgot Dahoud - that’s seven.
We’ll be looking down the table rather than up if the main midfield two are WBG and Baleba, we need goal contributions to replace gross and neither of these players have ever scored for us.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
When introduced as a sub in Germany's first game, he bossed the midfield.
Not played since, seems strange, would have been useful against the Swiss.
Keeping his value down.
Watched the match in a German pub in London in my Gross shirt, Nagelsmann was lucky to get away with a draw. Should have brought Fullkrug on earlier (and Gross of course).

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
We’ll be looking down the table rather than up if the main midfield two are WBG and Baleba, we need goal contributions to replace gross and neither of these players have ever scored for us.
It would depend on the tactics. Having two holding players that don't create much is fine if it is balanced by the fullbacks/wide players and other midfielders.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Baleba will (I suspect) play more this season, assuming that we play a 3-4-3 (not a given, but possible) then there’s only space for two central midfielders. Apart from Baleba and WBG, there’s Milner, Moder, Hinshelwood and Buonanotte who are natural in the centre.

That’s six players vying for two positions. I can’t see that we’ll be rushing out to buy two CMs. If we can improve the squad then we might be in for one, but really we need to move at least one of our six on to make room for them, we’re overstocked.

Edit: and I forgot Dahoud - that’s seven.
Buonanotte isn't a CM traditionally, he's an attacking midfielder who likes to play centrally.

Hinshelwood has shone at RWB and if we play 3ATB he'd thrive there this season too.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
KDH, Matt O’Riley, Szmardic, Joey Veerman, just a few names who are realistic, we have £100m in the bank and we are going to recruit from within, for replacing our best player? That seems very unambitious if you ask me. WBG played plenty last year and offered very little in terms of G/A, a good player but not the answer here. If we can’t replace him why on Earth are we selling him? Do we actually want to achieve next season? IF and I emphasise IF we are selling without replacing, then we really have squandered the opportunity to build a good platform for continued success after achieving Europa League and the sales of Caicedo and Mac Allister.

No, we have to buy new players.
Over the last year the club has lost Caiedo, Mac Allister, (neither properly replaced), plus Lallana, and it looks now like Groß will go.
It has to be at least two new midfielders if Groß leaves.

I'm not saying there won't be new midfielders, just don't think Gross in particular will be replaced with a similar player. But I absolutely think a new first team ready defensive midfielder is coming. Probably going to spend good money if needed.

But still, if 3-4-3 is the formation next season then that's Gilmour, Baleba, Milner, Moder, Buonanotte, Hinshelwood and a new midfielder mainly fighting for two positions. And thats not mentioning Dahoud, Leonard and Kozlowski who also wants to play somewhere.

Lots of the midfield for the next two or three seasons is already there. Biggest chunk of money will probably be spent on defenders.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I'm not saying there won't be new midfielders, just don't think Gross in particular will be replaced with a similar player. But I absolutely think a new first team ready defensive midfielder is coming. Probably going to spend good money if needed.

But still, if 3-4-3 is the formation next season then that's Gilmour, Baleba, Milner, Moder, Buonanotte, Hinshelwood and a new midfielder mainly fighting for two positions. And thats not mentioning Dahoud, Leonard and Kozlowski who also wants to play somewhere.

Lots of the midfield for the next two or three seasons is already there. Biggest chunk of money will probably be spent on defenders.
Moder, Dahoud, Leonard, Kozlowski shouldn’t be in the first team equation next season IMO, we should look at moving them all on, Milner should be back up at most, and I really don’t want to see Buonanotte play in a midfield 2. A player who has similar attributes like Wieffer or KDH is paramount. A midfield of Baleba, Gilmour, Hinshelwood, Milner, KDH and Wieffer is serious and not unachievable. Further to add Milner and Hinshelwood can fill in at Fullback/Wingback.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Moder, Dahoud, Leonard, Kozlowski shouldn’t be in the first team equation next season IMO, we should look at moving them all on, Milner should be back up at most, and I really don’t want to see Buonanotte play in a midfield 2. A player who has similar attributes like Wieffer or KDH is paramount. A midfield of Baleba, Gilmour, Hinshelwood, Milner, KDH and Wieffer is serious and not unachievable. Further to add Milner and Hinshelwood can fill in at Fullback/Wingback.

Moder will be in our squad this season, and you will be glad he is. I will cry if Milner plays at Fullback for us ever again.

Dahoud needs to find some passion for playing, or retire. Leonard and Kozlowski might not be good enough yet, and might leave us, but I wouldn't be surprised if either of them became players we would like to have in future.
I like your midfield, but I think only one new first team ready midfielder will come in.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Moder will be in our squad this season, and you will be glad he is. I will cry if Milner plays at Fullback for us ever again.

Dahoud needs to find some passion for playing, or retire. Leonard and Kozlowski might not be good enough yet, and might leave us, but I wouldn't be surprised if either of them became players we would like to have in future.
I like your midfield, but I think only one new first team ready midfielder will come in.
RDZ man management skills are questionable; I’d like to see Dahoud given another chance now he has gone. Milner offered little on the pitch last season, and his much feted off-pitch guidance of the youngsters amounted to snood advice, but I doubt he’ll get moved on. I’m also not convinced about Gilmour, not quick enough and too lightweight, we need an upgrade. I’d like to see how Moder develops over a full season with us.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
The German journo is pretty reliable. So either gross is talking to Dortmund or his agent is making it up to get a better deal with Brighton. Also remember gross has a new agent (one of the slimier ones)

Brighton are trying to push a decision
One way or t'other through the media.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I certainly saw Moran as a possible replacement but it’s a shame he didn’t crack on, on loan. Baleba will be decent this season I think, he’s got great potential, but we can’t be looking at those options at being able to replace Groß’s G/A.
But perhaps Moran will be better off in a different environment, he looked ok when he came in against Everton a couple of seasons ago, I wouldn’t write him off yet.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
RDZ man management skills are questionable; I’d like to see Dahoud given another chance now he has gone. Milner offered little on the pitch last season, and his much feted off-pitch guidance of the youngsters amounted to snood advice, but I doubt he’ll get moved on. I’m also not convinced about Gilmour, not quick enough and too lightweight, we need an upgrade. I’d like to see how Moder develops over a full season with us.
Re Dahoud, I hope so, but I don't think they were impressed with him at Stuttgart either.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Re Dahoud, I hope so, but I don't think they were impressed with him at Stuttgart either.
He played 14 times, coming off the bench. The team were flying high and he was never going to be a first teamer, more there to bolster numbers in their unexpected run for a CL place. I'd like to see him get a decent run next season and then make a judgement.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Buonanotte isn't a CM traditionally, he's an attacking midfielder who likes to play centrally.

Hinshelwood has shone at RWB and if we play 3ATB he'd thrive there this season too.

I agree with both those points, yet in a 3-4-3 we wouldn’t play Buonanotte as our central attacker, so if he plays, it would be as a midfielder, and while he’s played out on the wings to cover, it’s not his natural position.

With Hinshelwood, I honestly believe he can play pretty much anywhere, but I fear “March syndrome” where his flexibility holds him back from developing as far as he could, and he becomes a jack of all trades, but a master of none as he’s simply not played in the same position consistently.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022

I agree that both are a bit goal shy. It does cause us a problem if opposition defences know that our only threat is the front three, and that silencing them nullifies our goal threat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here