Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pascal Groß the raumdeuter - officially leaves for Dortmund :(

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not sure we would pay £6M plus wages for a player that would leave for free in 12 months.
Ansu Fati on loan would be fairly equivalent to having done that, and we got burnt. I think that was all De Zerbi demanding and Barber trying to keep him happy, it won't happen again.
I hadn’t anticipated you misunderstanding my points quite this much.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Wouldn't it be huge risk for him.to run contract down and leave on a free? What if he got an injury? I don't know much on these things but I'd think their agents would likely advise to negotiate contracts wherever possible?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Wouldn't it be huge risk for him.to run contract down and leave on a free? What if he got an injury? I don't know much on these things but I'd think their agents would likely advise to negotiate contracts wherever possible?
A years extension with an agreement to leave at a nominal fee to a German club in 12 months seems good to me.
We get the final year, he gets to go where he wants, if he's injured he's got a paid year and our facilities to rehab.

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
Fairly certain he will be making contacts during the EURO's.
At the end of the day we can hope all we like but it will be down to Pascal, if he wants to leave then he will and we should all wish him well and thank him for his tremendous service.
I hope he stays though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I am willing to try and understand, if you are willing to try and explain where I have missed your point.
Basically you stated that Paul Barber would rather get £3m for him than let him go on a free. I then said if you bought a player for £30m they cost you £6m per year so keeping a player to the end of their contract is worth way more than getting £3m or so before their contract ends (unless the player wants to go). You then bring Fati into this discussion and would you buy a player for £6m for 1 year - completely missing the point we’d be keeping a player we’ve had for 7 years. You don’t seem to be placing any value on the year we’d get from Pascal if he did stay - and it would be worth a lot more than £3m to us.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Basically you stated that Paul Barber would rather get £3m for him than let him go on a free. I then said if you bought a player for £30m they cost you £6m per year so keeping a player to the end of their contract is worth way more than getting £3m or so before their contract ends (unless the player wants to go). You then bring Fati into this discussion and would you buy a player for £6m for 1 year - completely missing the point we’d be keeping a player we’ve had for 7 years. You don’t seem to be placing any value on the year we’d get from Pascal if he did stay - and it would be worth a lot more than £3m to us.
I think it's you that has misunderstood me then.
It doesn't matter how long Pascal has been here, he has a cash value today that will evaporate over the next 12 months.

I value Gross, and want him to stay until he can't play anymore. I worry that Barber would rather sell this window, than lose all transfer value on him by next summer.

The question really is, at what level would we sell Pascal, with just year of contract left and the belief that he will not renew.

The point about Fati was to highlight that your £30M player over 5 years being worth £6m a year, doesn't factor in that we as a club would not usually spend £30M plus wages on a player that we couldn't sell before his contract expired. We try and make money player trading.
The Fati deal was analogous to having a player for one year at that sort of expense, with no possibility to recoup any of the outlay, it was a bad deal, and it won't happen again.
Apologies if I am still missing something, I don't think we are in big disagreement though. We both want him to stay, I just think there is a lower cash value placed on him by the club than you do, but you would agree that there is a price where he would be sold, wouldn't you?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well, I have a completely different view of this. If Pascal wants to go this summer, he'll go; if he wants to stay for one more season, then he'll either do something along the lines @jackanada suggests or just run his contract down.
All players are not bargaining chips for the club to maximise their value. Pascal has been such a stunning servant for the club that the club will be willing to facilitate whatever Pascal decides to do, eg allow to leave for a small fee, so he can get a decent (and probably final) contract.
PB doesn't dictate transfer policy, the key figure is TB.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
Not directly Gross-related, but Callum Styles -- Barnsley's English-born Hungary international -- is similarly insanely versatile. Positional flexibility that made me think of our man.

1718027453941.png

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Well, I have a completely different view of this. If Pascal wants to go this summer, he'll go; if he wants to stay for one more season, then he'll either do something along the lines @jackanada suggests or just run his contract down.
All players are not bargaining chips for the club to maximise their value. Pascal has been such a stunning servant for the club that the club will be willing to facilitate whatever Pascal decides to do, eg allow to leave for a small fee, so he can get a decent (and probably final) contract.
PB doesn't dictate transfer policy, the key figure is TB.
According to PBOBE, TBMBE let's him make all the decisions except the appointment of the manager, which is totally in TBMBE's wheelhouse.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think it's you that has misunderstood me then.
It doesn't matter how long Pascal has been here, he has a cash value today that will evaporate over the next 12 months.

I value Gross, and want him to stay until he can't play anymore. I worry that Barber would rather sell this window, than lose all transfer value on him by next summer.

The question really is, at what level would we sell Pascal, with just year of contract left and the belief that he will not renew.

The point about Fati was to highlight that your £30M player over 5 years being worth £6m a year, doesn't factor in that we as a club would not usually spend £30M plus wages on a player that we couldn't sell before his contract expired. We try and make money player trading.
The Fati deal was analogous to having a player for one year at that sort of expense, with no possibility to recoup any of the outlay, it was a bad deal, and it won't happen again.
Apologies if I am still missing something, I don't think we are in big disagreement though. We both want him to stay, I just think there is a lower cash value placed on him by the club than you do, but you would agree that there is a price where he would be sold, wouldn't you?
We sign players to play for us. We sometimes sell players for a vast profit. Pascal on the pitch is worth far more to us than the £3 million we might get if we sell him now.

If it was about cashing in ASAP we'd be better off bulldozing the AMEX and selling the site for flats.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
We sign players to play for us. We sometimes sell players for a vast profit. Pascal on the pitch is worth far more to us than the £3 million we might get if we sell him now.

If it was about cashing in ASAP we'd be better off bulldozing the AMEX and selling the site for flats.
I think so too, just not sure PBOBE does. Maybe at £3M PB wouldn't sell either, but I don't think it would take a lot more, unless Fab Hurzeler made big objections.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

No way in the world we’d let him go for £3m.……….even with one year left on his contract it’d be comfortably in 8 figures.

Like most I hope all the talk is irrelevant anyway and Fabi desperately wants to keep him. New contract for him please PBOBE.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here