Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pascal Groß the raumdeuter - officially leaves for Dortmund :(

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Barber is going to be thinking we can get a few quid for him if we sell this window, especially if he does that sort of thing in the tournament. We really need him next season though, Hinshelwood needs to study him, and Hurzeler needs his intelligence and leadership on the pitch. Play well and come back Pascal.
I have been following the election coverage quite a bit, and I don't think even Rishi Sunak would make as silly a comment as that.
Barber is going to be thinking I need to do everything I can to keep Pascal at the Albion for one more season. However if he has a good tournament and a good German side come in with an offer, so be it. Gross has made no secret he wants to end his career back home for personal reasons. He will go with Tony's blessing and the thanks of every single Albion fan for what he has done for our club

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I have been following the election coverage quite a bit, and I don't think even Rishi Sunak would make as silly a comment as that.
Barber is going to be thinking I need to do everything I can to keep Pascal at the Albion for one more season. However if he has a good tournament and a good German side come in with an offer, so be it. Gross has made no secret he wants to end his career back home for personal reasons. He will go with Tony's blessing and the thanks of every single Albion fan for what he has done for our club
You think Barber would prefer to let him go next year for free, over £XM this window? You might be right, but it isn't silly to think otherwise, it's his job to maximise returns. You say yourself if a good offer comes he will go, I say you are right, because Barber will want the money that won't be on the table in a years time, and Pascal is unlikely to extend because we know he would like to finish his career in Germany.
Barber might be hoping to extend Pascals contract, but I doubt if keeping him to the end if his contract so he can leave for free is Barbers preferred position. In fact, given Pascal's age, even extending is probably not in Barbers thoughts.

Edit. TLDR. I am as serious as Starmer, when I say Pascal gets sold by Barber.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You think Barber would prefer to let him go next year for free, over £XM this window? You might be right, but it isn't silly to think otherwise, it's his job to maximise returns. You say yourself if a good offer comes he will go, I say you are right, because Barber will want the money that won't be on the table in a years time, and Pascal is unlikely to extend because we know he would like to finish his career in Germany.
Barber might be hoping to extend Pascals contract, but I doubt if keeping him to the end if his contract so he can leave for free is Barbers preferred position. In fact, given Pascal's age, even extending is probably not in Barbers thoughts.
I don’t think he’d look at it quite like that. Another year of PG playing at the top of his game is worth £X to this football club.

What sort of value do you think he’s going to attract, he’s 33 next week?

My thoughts are is that if he wants to go we’ll let him and it will be a sensible fee to allow that to happen (likely a bargain for the club PG wants to go).

If he’s happy to stay then no way we’re selling him, and given our record of keeping experienced players on our books, I dare say we would extend his contract - he’s still going to be a very good player at 36+

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021

Edit. TLDR. I am as serious as Starmer, when I say Pascal gets sold by Barber.
I think there is a good chance Pascal will go back to Germany and we will sell him for a nominal fee if any. I don't think the profit motive will be part of Barber's thinking (otherwise we would probably try and flog him to Chelsea for £25 million).
I am sure (at least I hope) we are saying to Pascal, please stay one more year and then leave on a free.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I don’t think he’d look at it quite like that. Another year of PG playing at the top of his game is worth £X to this football club.

What sort of value do you think he’s going to attract, he’s 33 next week?

My thoughts are is that if he wants to go we’ll let him and it will be a sensible fee to allow that to happen (likely a bargain for the club PG wants to go).

If he’s happy to stay then no way we’re selling him, and given our record of keeping experienced players on our books, I dare say we would extend his contract - he’s still going to be a very good player at 36+
I hope you are right and we try to extend his contract, but we have sold players before when approaching the end of their contract, if they are indicating they are not going to extend. As Pascal has said he would like to finish in Germany, it seems likely he won't, I believe he would be happy to see out his contract though. I just feel that if Barber has something over £3M on the table, he will want to take it, rather than lose it.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I think there is a good chance Pascal will go back to Germany and we will sell him for a nominal fee if any. I don't think the profit motive will be part of Barber's thinking (otherwise we would probably try and flog him to Chelsea for £25 million).
I am sure (at least I hope) we are saying to Pascal, please stay one more year and then leave on a free.
That’s my suspicion there were rumours of him going last summer and would not be surprised if some sort of gentlemen’s contract that extension would keep Pascal for another year and would move this summer recouping a small fee for him to go wherever he wants.

Hope I am wrong but am expecting him to move on this summer with a return to Germany

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think that the promise of a free next year may be just the thing to convince him to stay. A year for the youngsters to progress and then for him to negotiate a lucrative deal in Germany. Win / win.

This is what I'm hoping :thumbsup:

But if he does want to go this year, we have to let him with a nominal fee :down:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I hope you are right and we try to extend his contract, but we have sold players before when approaching the end of their contract, if they are indicating they are not going to extend. As Pascal has said he would like to finish in Germany, it seems likely he won't, I believe he would be happy to see out his contract though. I just feel that if Barber has something over £3M on the table, he will want to take it, rather than lose it.
£3m would never cover the cost of hos loss to us next season, both in terms of how we play and where we end up in the league.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I think that the promise of a free next year may be just the thing to convince him to stay. A year for the youngsters to progress and then for him to negotiate a lucrative deal in Germany. Win / win.
I thought his contract runs out at the end of next season, so he would be able to do whatever he wanted.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If Pascal wants to see out his contract, then he is worth way more than £3m for the year we’d get out of him, so I don’t think there is any chance he’d go for £3m unless he wanted to go.

Put it this way, buy a high quality midfielder for £30m on a 5 year deal and that is £6m per year plus their salary. So right away I’d value his final year to us as above £6m, so I’d rather he went for free the following year than take that kind of money. He’s only going for that if he requests to go.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I feel like one more year of Pascal is worth more to us than however much we can get for him this summer.

However if he’d prefer to go, he deserves our respect in letting him leave
Indeed.

If he smashes the Euros, he’ll be hot property in Germany. I could see a Champions League team paying the sort of fee that we got off Newcastle for Burn.

I desperately want him to stay but it’s his choice and I’ll back him in whatever he wants to do. He has so much credit in the Albion bank!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
With a euro winner's medal in his pocket.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Indeed.

If he smashes the Euros, he’ll be hot property in Germany. I could see a Champions League team paying the sort of fee that we got off Newcastle for Burn.

I desperately want him to stay but it’s his choice and I’ll back him in whatever he wants to do. He has so much credit in the Albion bank!
No chance of that. As others have said, what Pascal wants to do will be key -- and TB and PB will respect that. Doubt we'll see him signing a new contract, although it's not impossible. We might have him for another year, which would be the best for us. We might sell him for a low fee, so that he can get a bigger wage from his new club this season, which he'll also get through seeing out his contract with us.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If Frankfurt or whoever offer a four year deal he will leave I would for four more years of security.
If he stays another year and gets injured then what? he will take the deal with the longest contract length and that won’t be us.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
£3m would never cover the cost of hos loss to us next season, both in terms of how we play and where we end up in the league.
That's what I think too, not sure Barber does though, maybe it will take £5M, or more, but there is a number at which we will sell, and the number gets smaller when the alternative is leaving for free 38 games later, or less if he gets injured.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Pascal will also be on a pretty hefty wedge here I imagine. When he signed that contract, his stock was high and he could easily demand to be one of our top earners. It’s the sort of money that most German clubs might struggle to match.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If Pascal wants to see out his contract, then he is worth way more than £3m for the year we’d get out of him, so I don’t think there is any chance he’d go for £3m unless he wanted to go.

Put it this way, buy a high quality midfielder for £30m on a 5 year deal and that is £6m per year plus their salary. So right away I’d value his final year to us as above £6m, so I’d rather he went for free the following year than take that kind of money. He’s only going for that if he requests to go.
Not sure we would pay £6M plus wages for a player that would leave for free in 12 months.
Ansu Fati on loan would be fairly equivalent to having done that, and we got burnt. I think that was all De Zerbi demanding and Barber trying to keep him happy, it won't happen again.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I honestly believe Pascal will run his contract down with us. Then he’ll get a nice fat signing on fee when he moves on a free next summer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here