Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pascal Groß the raumdeuter - officially leaves for Dortmund :(

Super Sub

Aug 13, 2016
Going to need a quality replacement.
I actually think we have him in our squad already Tom.

Pascal has been Mr reliable since he joined us and played in multiple positions with great effect. Last season he was of course employed as a central midfielder. I believe his best position though is as a 10 or someone who sits a little higher up the pitch to link play. With that in mind and imho opinion, it is Enciso that will step up to fill the gap.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

Pascal has been Mr reliable since he joined us and played in multiple positions with great effect. Last season he was of course employed as a central midfielder. I believe his best position though is as a 10 or someone who sits a little higher up the pitch to link play. With that in mind and imho opinion, it is Enciso that will step up to fill the gap.
It's not his position, it's his contribution. We are losing one of the most creative players in world football. We need to at least attempt to replace that.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
It's not his position, it's his contribution. We are losing one of the most creative players in world football. We need to at least attempt to replace that.
Great though he’s been for us, I am struggling to name him as World Class which he would have to be to be what you suggest

Reactions: cjd

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

100% agree. Different players in different positions, but I think Enciso will be a massive player for us and provide the creativity that Pasc suppled in a central position I think he will do a deep forward / attacking midfield type job like MacAllister did for us. His understudy will be Buonanotte, who I think is a year behind him in his development.

In terms of creativity and forward passing from a deep lying central midfield position, it will be Gilmour. Again a different player, but he's still young and in years to come, I think can reach the levels Gross reached

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

In the less attacking sense, it's also Jack Hinshelwood. Who, injury aside, has been able to learn from Pascal on and off the pitch.

We've got a tactically flexible, wise beyond his years, home grown star in Jack and whilst we'll all feel Pascal's departure, I've got no doubt that he'll grasp the opportunity.

Last edited:

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Sorry for coming to the party a bit late, is this a done deal now then?…

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Sorry for coming to the party a bit late, is this a done deal now then?…
Not confirmed but seems inevitable.
We are not a club to hold a great servant against his will.
Fee will be relatively low (£6-9m reportedly) and nowhere near his value to us but at 33 and just a year left on his contract it is what it is

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Felt sorry for him last season, expected to play every minute of every game even when at times he needed a rest. Often played in the wrong position and that made him ineffective. Feel it was a wasted season for him.

He ran, albeit slowly, more than any other player in the EPL. It's that lack of pace that allowed us to enjoy him for so long.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Of all the players we've lost in recent years, this one I'm saddest about. But I understand and it was always going to happen one day.

He'll leave on good terms with the club and the fans, after signing a contract that brings something to the club in return, which he didn't have to do. It may be below his 'value' to us, but that isn't how it works.

It's also not what this club is about. Some people (see twitter comments) think because we regularly do good business, that we're a 'selling club', or our main priority is to make as much profit as possible. It isn't. The main thing is always the club and its DNA.

A sustainable business model is part of that, absolutely. So is the football, so is our history, so is our community work, so is keeping the fans happy(ish), so is looking after, respecting and rewarding the people who contribute to the club's successes, top to bottom. Groß has contributed so much, it wouldn't matter to me whether he left for twice that amount or for nothing. He deserves to go where he wants*, with our blessing.

And with head rather than heart, 1) it's better business than a free, and 2) the way we treat our loyal professionals, both while they're here and how they leave, is absolutely how to be sustainable - it's one of the reasons good players still come to a low-ish wages, mid table team with an empty trophy cabinet, some way from London.

I know most people on here get this already.

I will miss him massively, be grateful for what he's done for us, and wish him every happiness.

(*except Chelsea, obvs)
Phenomenal post and summary. Bravo.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
It's clear that not only do you not understand football or British humour, you also don't understand semantics or expressing yourself.

You said "IF we get a price for him that allows us to replace him, yes he can go with our best wishes."

That's specific to price and not value. They're two different things.
If it makes you feel big and better about yourself then sure.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Love Pascal but we have had him for his best years. He will decline soon enough.

What sort fo price tag do we put on him?
Why will be decline soon enough? His game has never been about pace and I’d say he has actually got better as he gets more experienced

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Why will be decline soon enough? His game has never been about pace and I’d say he has actually got better as he gets more experienced
Do I have to state the obvious. Because he is 33. I don’t think he’ll be as effective in 2-3 years.

Reactions: cjd

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
It's clear that not only do you not understand football or British humour, you also don't understand semantics or expressing yourself.

You said "IF we get a price for him that allows us to replace him, yes he can go with our best wishes."

That's specific to price and not value. They're two different things.
Such a shame I can't put you on Ignore. You are a poor Mod sometimes, I dislike having to see your posts. Leave the Yank alone.

edited after eating ;)

Last edited:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Do I have to state the obvious. Because he is 33. I don’t think he’ll be as effective in 2-3 years.
So your ‘soon enough’ is 2-3 years? Quite a while then

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here