Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pascal Groß the raumdeuter - officially leaves for Dortmund :(

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Got to do everything possible to keep him. We can’t have a new manager start by losing a player he has explicitly said he wants to keep.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
What a coincidence, yesterday rumours that we're negotiating a new contract, today a big team shows interest.

This is from page one of the agent's playbook.

Its the game which gets played all the time before a new contract is agreed.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
Plettigoal is a good source for German football. Personally, if we pushed the top end of that estimation at say £10m it would be worth considering. I absolutely love Gross but that would be ok business for me, providing the funds directly contributed to a replacement
if we want to replace groß’s output, it’s going to be 35/40 million. simple as. none of this nonsense about moder or hinshelwood replacing him. we’re going to need to get back roughly 15 goal contributions a season. and that’s before you even consider the leadership and experience he provides

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
if we want to replace groß’s output, it’s going to be 35/40 million. simple as. none of this nonsense about moder or hinshelwood replacing him. we’re going to need to get back roughly 15 goal contributions a season. and that’s before you even consider the leadership and experience he provides
I agree! But we’ll have to do it next year anyway. My opinion is save ourselves 10 of those 35/40 million you mention and sell now. Buy a player in their mid twenties, like a Dewsbury-Hall or similar, who’s ready to go. Next year everyone will know we need a player in that position and will bump up the price. I’d try to co-ordinate a replacement at the same time as the sale

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Got to do everything possible to keep him. We can’t have a new manager start by losing a player he has explicitly said he wants to keep.
What if the player wants to go because of an ‘agreement’ he made last contract agreement ?

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I hope we keep him. One of the best EVER PL signings. Would like him not to play every minute of every game from centre midfield though!

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
I agree! But we’ll have to do it next year anyway. My opinion is save ourselves 10 of those 35/40 million you mention and sell now. Buy a player in their mid twenties, like a Dewsbury-Hall or similar, who’s ready to go. Next year everyone will know we need a player in that position and will bump up the price. I’d try to co-ordinate a replacement at the same time as the sale
i certainly get where you’re coming from, i just think holding onto him for an extra year would be better, my reasons being
1) we’ve got that guaranteed output from him next year. whoever we buy, they might not work out (case in point being most of our previous ‘big buys’), so it’s better to hold on to someone who we KNOW can produce for as long as possible
2) we’re massively playing catch up from an awful window last summer. this summer we need one midfielder, one right winger, one right back and probably a couple of centre backs if hürzeler wants to play a back three. it would work out better on our ‘per annum’ accounts if we got this summer right and then next year just had to spend on a groß replacement, replace whoever leaves and whatever kids we want to buy. we’d have much more flexibility than this summer, where we’ve found ourselves needing quite a few reinforcements

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
If he will stay, we'd have to be crazy not to make it happen. None of this 'What return could we get now?' emotionless nonsense, let's keep it going for as long as Pascal will stay. We signed him at 26 for €3m, he's played 7 seasons and become our record EPL scorer and assist maker playing in virtually every position bar head chef. He's contracted only until 2025 and yet the transfer fees being talked about are incredibly at 33, at least twice what we paid for him. He's been with us all the way on the journey from struggling for every point to playing in Europe. On that basis, if we keep him until he's 40 we'll have won the ECL and still be making £20m when we do sell.

It's his choice and if he wants to go home, of course I'd be one of thousands who would drive him there myself, for the exact opposite reasons that fans usually say that. History may well see him as the single best value signing that Brighton ever made. He owes us nothing and yet so many of us will be completely bereft when he calls time. However, he is being picked for Germany because we gave him a place to shine. He is of interest to clubs in his homeland because we knew his value when others paid no attention. Whether it be this summer, next or whenever, I'll probably shed a tear when he goes. Whatever he chooses, wherever he goes and whatever he does he will always be 'Brighton's Pascal Gross' and whatever future superstars might come and go through our system, I can think of no higher praise to bestow on a player.

Yes, I've had a drink.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
A year of having a player around who might not really want to be here? Yeah, great move!

I figured he'd go this summer - and good luck to him, if it plays out that way. Gutted, because he's my favourite-ever Albion player, but he's more than earned the right to do what he wants. IMO, like.

Worked out pretty well with Stephens and Dunk.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Also - we can’t deny him Champions League football in his own country. Dan Burn all over again. Annoyingly, he has the game to play well into his late 30’s so we could have had another 3 years+ of him.

If he has the game to play into his late 30s then we don't need to accept 7-10m euros. We may not deny him the chance to play CL football, but they'd have to make a fair offer.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What a coincidence, yesterday rumours that we're negotiating a new contract, today a big team shows interest.

This is from page one of the agent's playbook.

Its the game which gets played all the time before a new contract is agreed.
Whilst that is true, have Dortmund contacted Brighton direct and made an offer? I'm assuming the agent can't fake that, and if they haven't, then there's nothing to discuss.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
If he has the game to play into his late 30s then we don't need to accept 7-10m euros. We may not deny him the chance to play CL football, but they'd have to make a fair offer.
As much as we love pascal. And I would 10000x rather keep him. 10m for a 33 year with one year left on the contract is a hell of a lot.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If you look at PL players with his assist numbers all of them are £50m players. I really hope we have a replacement lined up as we need someone to produce those numbers. Gibbs White would be a decent option although an expensive one.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
I can't imagine the fees being thrown around would come anywhere close to what we would take. He is worth way more than that to us.

hughfromalice

Sep 8, 2022
Is Fati coming back next season?

Doesn't look like it! Shame things didn't work out. Would have been v interesting if he'd stayed one more year.

As for Pascal Gross, I really hope we can tempt him to stay, for one more season. But - sad to say - it's more likely he'll go. If he does, let's hope we can invite him to attend our first PL league match next season for a standing ovation!!

Last edited:

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Going need a lot of cash to replace Pascal. He needs a new three year deal and big pay rise.as someone else said previously it"s going to cost 50 mill to replace him.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Worked out pretty well with Stephens and Dunk.
Two players who were playing in their home country. There's a big difference, as PG has alluded to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here