Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Paris 2024 Olympics & Paralympics ***Official Match Thread***

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
But a very vocal minority of online trolls, sure but not any sane person.
Don't know what the "Women vs Trans" debates look like in England but here it would certainly have been a lot of people on both sides of the fence.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Don't know what the "Women vs Trans" debates look like in England but here it would certainly have been a lot of people on both sides of the fence.
Yes I’m sure a bunch of screaming nutters on both sides. But better than a woman being beaten by someone with the strength of a man

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
WTF! What's with the black table tennis table and purple lines and net tape? Admittedly, I'm a TT purist but it didn't need jazzing up. The drift from traditional green to blue tables was fine but this is nonsense. We changed the scoring and the ball size which we've adjusted too. What next multi coloured balls so casual fans can appreciate the spin? :(

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
On this Algerian boxer. Just award him or her the gold now. At least nobody will get hurt.

It was a massive cock up (!?!?!) letting this happen. I don't think this was anything to do with the IOC being worried about offending trans people or being seen to be woke, as much as people will tell you it is.

It's about the IOC being too worried about litigation from the Algerian OC. It's partially at least to do with a massive mistake in setting the entry rules incorrectly.

Just like with the nonce. They could have realised with was happening in the weeks and months before the games, banned the individuals, or the entire nations if their OC's were willing to die on the hill and taken the financial hit when they probably lost in the Court of Arbitration for sport.

Instead they've allowed these two colossal PR fiasco's to take place which are looking like they will dominate the discussion over the quite incredible sport we are witnessing. It's a massive shame

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
This is NOT about Trans - it's important to understand that. Some are trying to make it about that - but it isn't.

It's a very complex issue about sexual development. We obviously don't know the confidential medical info for the two boxers in question, but one example is that someone can be born with female sex organs and yet have XY chromosomes.

Some info here... DSD - Differences in sex development

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
My cat, Nigel, cheering Joe on. Big fan

IMG_8754.jpeg

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Imane Khelif, a biological male, being allowed to compete in the women's boxing.

Italian Angela Carini just withdrew herself from the bout in tears. Shame on the Olympic Committee for allowing this to happen.
Imane Khelif is a biological woman, who was born a female. This is not a Trans issue.

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
Imane Khelif is a biological woman, who was born a female. This is not a Trans issue.
From what I can work out from Wikipedia, she'd be living as a bloke if it was allowed in Algeria. Because being trans is banned there she has to live as a woman and therefore can only compete in women's events. It's a complex situation tbh

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
When it comes to combat sports, nowhere.

Is it fair? I'm not sure
But that way no one gets hurt or worse

Perhaps the more fundamental problem here is the 'sport' of boxing. Where two people actively attempt to inflict physical harm on each other?

Humans are wonderfully varied and complex.
Some are born with certain advantages, some are not. Not freakishly tall? Dont bother dreaming about making it as a basketball player. Want to win at horse dancing? Then you damn well better hope you are lucky enough to be born into a posh and wealthy family, cos otherwise you are going to struggle!

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Perhaps the more fundamental problem here is the 'sport' of boxing. Where two people actively attempt to inflict physical harm on each other?

Humans are wonderfully varied and complex.
Some are born with certain advantages, some are not. Not freakishly tall? Dont bother dreaming about making it as a basketball player. Want to win at horse dancing? Then you damn well better hope you are lucky enough to be born into a posh and wealthy family, cos otherwise you are going to struggle!
Indeed. Completely moronic sport, straight up barbarian. And obviously all the fighters are idiots (with the odd, odd exception) or they couldn't punch someone who haven't done shit.

Ban the sport and save a couple of hundred, or maybe thousand, brains per year.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It's an unfortunate case of her being born differently.

There should still be safeguarding for the other females.

Completely different to trans men deciding to beat up females.
Yes, a Trans woman in the boxing would be a completely different kettle of fish and I think nobody could have any serious issues with a ban in that case.

As for the Italian girl, I'm not a boxing expert by any means but having watched the knock out maybe she's just not very good? Leading with the chin feels like a no-no even to someone with only a very vague knowledge of the sport.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here