Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Paris 2024 Olympics & Paralympics ***Official Match Thread***

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Tough for Joe Clarke who lost it at the beginning and ended in 5th.

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
Indeed. Completely moronic sport, straight up barbarian. And obviously all the fighters are idiots (with the odd, odd exception) or they couldn't punch someone who haven't done shit.

Ban the sport and save a couple of hundred, or maybe thousand, brains per year.
If you ban boxing - for starters it would probably go underground without the medical checks etc - but many more young lads would probably end up in prison. Well run boxing clubs are great for local communities and offer a way out for young lads going down the road of criminality.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
If you ban boxing - for starters it would probably go underground without the medical checks etc - but many more young lads would probably end up in prison. Well run boxing clubs are great for local communities and offer a way out for young lads going down the road of criminality.
I'm somewhat torn on boxing clubs. They can provide good stuff to a community but (at least here) a lot of them are shaaady. Professional boxing is banned in Sweden because the idea of making money from beating people up isn't accepted - it gives young people ideas that are arguably equally likely to get them into prison as keeping them out. "Hurt people, get money, get glory".

Understand that views and reality can be different in less pacifism-oriented cultures than the Scandinavian but I'm pretty happy about it. My experiences abroad with fanatics of boxing or MMA etc haven't been to pleasant, lots of testosterone and attitude, though I'm sure this is obviously not the case for everyone.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Yes, I'm with you here. My father had the chance to box during his National Service years. Done well, it's the noble art.

Picasso, Hemingway, T.S.Eliot...all fans of boxing. More films have been made about the sport than any other, Raging Bull a seminal masterpiece.

At a time when masculinity is under the spotlight, good role models that teach discipline, hard work, camaraderie and respect should be welcomed.

And of course, the opportunity for girls to box should be there as well. GB's done very well here in the past with Nicola Adams.

Like martial arts, there's the opportunity for many different weight categories that should bring fairness and increased inclusivity for all sizes.

Thanks to @Leekbrookgull who started a thread specifically on Carini v Khalif and what's been discussed on here earlier today.

That's probably the best place to talk about those particular issues as the potential consequences are bigger than just these Olympics.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Yes, I'm with you here. My father had the chance to box during his National Service years. Done well, it's the noble art.

Picasso, Hemingway, T.S.Eliot...all fans of boxing. More films have been made about the sport than any other, Raging Bull a seminal masterpiece.

At a time when masculinity is under the spotlight, good role models that teach discipline, hard work, camaraderie and respect should be welcomed.

And of course, the opportunity for girls to box should be there as well. GB's done very well here in the past with Nicola Adams.

Like martial arts, there's the opportunity for many different weight categories that should bring fairness and increased inclusivity for all sizes.

Thanks to @Leekbrookgull who started a thread specifically on Carini v Khalif and what's been discussed on here earlier today.

That's probably the best place to talk about those particular issues as the potential consequences are bigger than just these Olympics.
Completely random but my wife’s uncle was a Horse Guard and boxed Idi Amin when they were both in the British Army. He knocked him out and told me that he wished he’d killed him! Old school I know….

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Does anybody know why the BBC keep switching the Olympics from BBC 1 to BBC 2 and vice versa? f***ing annoying!
The News, I believe there’s a requirement to broadcast it on BBC One except in exceptional circumstances

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Then just put the Olympics on BBC 2?
You’d assume that would be the obvious choice but I guess they don’t want to

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Murray and Evans just getting started

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Hopefully Truls Möregårdh can channel his inner Jan Ove Waldner tonight.

This is what I wanna see:

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I dunno, not sure it reflects very well on society when the best support we can offer young men in danger of going astray is 'fight each other for our entertainment'. Seems a bit hunger games to me. Must be better ways to solve urban deprivation that doesn't involve brain damage. Surely? Reckon Sweden might be a step or two ahead on this one.

I appreciate I'm in a minority right now, but I'm fairly certain people in the future will.look back at footage of boxing and think 'wtf''.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Corrected for you, sad to see the deterioration in Murray :down:
Done a lot better than I expected. But then again I thought he retired five years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here