Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pardew Sacked [merged]

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Didn't Norwich sack Gunn after they'd won 4-1 at Exeter? Worked out OK for them though.

4-0 at Yeovil ... but in the cup. And after a 7-1 (home?) defeat

I'll rephrase it: has any team sacked a manager after a 4-0 away league win?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sven? That could be interesting. He'd want another £20M to spend though.

Oh please let it be that twat with the roaming eye and negative tactics :thumbsup:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Think he's too tainted by failures by now. He's no hot property.

I'd like a wild card in the mix, how about Matthew Le Tissier? I bet a few of their fans have suggested it :lolol:

the new board were quite scathing of Le Tiss. There was some sort of power struggle and Le Tiss was fronting a different consortium.

I was feeling a bit glum this morning, but news that Pardew is without a job has given me some cheer. I dearly hope they appoint the wrong man and it all goes pear shaped. :clap2:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Saints fans think he was sacked for asking to talk to Aston Villa.

I just hope Villa have more sense than to talk to him

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The idea that Villa would be interested in Pardew is almost as funny as the fact he's been fired in the first place.

They are even more deluded than I thought. It's been on the cards that he'd be given the push since the middle of last season, either there's a personality clash with the board, or they're simply after a marquee name, but don't try and tell me that he was headhunted by a Premier League side :lolol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Pardew's records at Southampton was P64 W34 D17 L13, so pretty good considering he achieved it in a rebuilding year.

It should also be remembered that Southampton won their first trophy since 1976 under his tenure. OK, it was the Football Legaue Trophy but those fans will remember that day out forever.

You have to wonder what Pardew's done. He'd be mad to have touted himself for other jobs when Saints are in a great position to kick on. If Blackpool and Hull can get out of League 1 and into the Prem then there's no reason why Southampton can't too.

As for jobs like Villa, who the hell would want that job after O'Neill? They can't go any higher than 6th, they're out of Europe and a selling club.

The managerial merry-go-round has already started even before the closure of the transfer window. It's madness.

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
Pardew's records at Southampton was P64 W34 D17 L13, so pretty good considering he achieved it in a rebuilding year.

It should also be remembered that Southampton won their first trophy since 1976 under his tenure. OK, it was the Football Legaue Trophy but those fans will remember that day out forever.

You have to wonder what Pardew's done. He'd be mad to have touted himself for other jobs when Saints are in a great position to kick on. If Blackpool and Hull can get out of League 1 and into the Prem then there's no reason why Southampton can't too.

As for jobs like Villa, who the hell would want that job after O'Neill? They can't go any higher than 6th, they're out of Europe and a selling club.

The managerial merry-go-round has already started even before the closure of the transfer window. It's madness.

Although Pardew did manage Saints through a rebuilding year at St. Marys, it should also be considered that he was given what was in effect, in terms of League 1, a blank chequebook to sign whoever he thought would want to join the club.

The question is now how will Markus Liebherr's legacy be maintained by his trustees, and how will the fans be able to manage expectations of what may amount to faceless stewardship of the club.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Leeds are a bigger club than Southampton but they took 3 years to get out of this division. Yes, Southampton have more money but to expect to bounce back after one season with a team to rebuild and a 10-point deduction to contend with is unrealistic.

A lot of people underestimate how competitive League 1 is. The 3 teams that got promoted last season (Leeds, Millwall, Norwich) are all presently in the Top 7 of the Championship, and this on the back of the success of Blackpool and Hull to go from League 1 to the Prem in 3 years.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Leeds are a bigger club than Southampton but they took 3 years to get out of this division. Yes, Southampton have more money but to expect to bounce back after one season with a team to rebuild and a 10-point deduction to contend with is unrealistic.

A lot of people underestimate how competitive League 1 is. The 3 teams that got promoted last season (Leeds, Millwall, Norwich) are all presently in the Top 7 of the Championship, and this on the back of the success of Blackpool and Hull to go from League 1 to the Prem in 3 years.

good post. league 1 is a tough league. i think saints ignorantly assumed they'd stroll through it last season, even with a 10 point deduction. they didn't and won't this year either.

i hate pardew. he is a grade A numpty. however it looked like he was doing a reasonable job down there. can't see a new manager being the answer to their problem.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
They can have Zola, he isn't the most experienced on offer, they'd be better off with Curbushley if he was interested.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I bet Calde is glad now he didn't sign for Scumhampton.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Maybe he's been shagging on his own doorstep again. There were very strong rumours last season that he was almost sacked despite a pretty good season, so he obviously grated someone's shit there (what a surprise).

Having said all that, and even though the bloke has an ego the size of the Isle of Wight, I honestly don't think they're going to do much better. With the players and expectations they have, they need a man with a very high opinion of himself to manage it all.

This chief exec at Saints does seem to be a total lunatic with no football knowledge, not the ideal bloke to have at the helm. I imagine the Sun are going to have some fun with this.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here