Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paralympics?

nause

Aug 26, 2008
What is the point?

If the name of the game is to be the best, there is a distinct irony in that they are by no means anywhere near the best!!

If you can't compete at the top level (Olympics) then you shouldn't be competing in a worldwide event at all!!

They are milking olympic funds for something that no one gives a toss about!!

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
well, someone had to do it...

special_olympics.jpg

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What is the point?

If the name of the game is to be the best, there is a distinct irony in that they are by no means anywhere near the best!!

If you can't compete at the top level (Olympics) then you shouldn't be competing in a worldwide event at all!!

A bit like our entire Olympic 100m men's squad then, none of whom could even make the final?

Should they bother?

I hope you're just fishing with that comment.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
What is the point?

Many do care about it though, you are wrong.

nause

Aug 26, 2008
A bit like our entire Olympic 100m men's squad then, none of whom could even make the final?

Should they bother?

I hope you're just fishing with that comment.

Well they are within the "Elite" of the world, and therefore could potentially make the top 8, one did make the semi final and is therefore one of the fastest 16 in the world.

Wheras someone who wins a Paralympic medal may take three times as long to complete the same discipline!!

The point i'm making is not about GB!!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Wheras someone who wins a Paralympic medal may take three times as long to complete the same discipline!!

Oscar Pistorius ran his heat of the 100m in 11.17 seconds, hardly "three times as long" and fast enough to beat a fair few of the runners in the Olympic 100m.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
But is it not more important that somebody who may have suffered a catastrophic event in their life, such as losing a limb, or being paralysed or blinded, has something to strive for?

Let's be honest, disabled people often have a pretty shit time of it in everyday life, for trivial reasons that you probably don't even consider, and the Paralympics just might be a chance to show the world what they are capable of, rather than what they aren't, for once?

Nobody's suggesting that a 100m runner with cerebral palsy, for example, is the fastest man on earth, but I suspect if you asked one of the competitors, that's not what it's about.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The 100 metres for people with no sense of direction was amazing.

Getting bored with the 400 metres for the death though.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
But is it not more important that somebody who may have suffered a catastrophic event in their life, such as losing a limb, or being paralysed or blinded, has something to strive for?

Let's be honest, disabled people often have a pretty shit time of it in everyday life, for trivial reasons that you probably don't even consider, and the Paralympics just might be a chance to show the world what they are capable of, rather than what they aren't, for once?

Nobody's suggesting that a 100m runner with cerebral palsy, for example, is the fastest man on earth, but I suspect if you asked one of the competitors, that's not what it's about.

Is it all worthwhile for the competitors ? ... Of course it is.

Is it worth televising so much of it ? ... I dont think so.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Basically I support the Paralympics but I have to be honest and say I won't bother watching it.

I suppose part of it is that most of the athletes are TOO good, and make the (largely) able-bodied viewing audience feel shit about themselves.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
But your contribution towards the thread was nothing, please do supply me with your thoughts about the paralympics, I am interested.

that wasn't what you asked me. i was just answering your question.

Tell me, do you really think that is appropriate ? and if you do, please give me your reasons why.

and i don't believe you truly are interested in my thoughts about the paralympics. you are just being an arse.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
I don't think you have any sensible thoughts on the paralympics, but that was why i was asking you.

so, because i post what i believe to be a mildly amusing picture which is appropriate to contents of the thread, i have no sensible thoughts on this (and i would guess you feel any) subject? yes, nice theory.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Is it all worthwhile for the competitors ? ... Of course it is.

Is it worth televising so much of it ? ... I dont think so.

I know where you're coming from, but it's a matter of individual taste isn't it?

If it were down to me, I'd say it wasn't worth televising so much (if any at all) horse racing, darts, Jeremy Kyle, Loose Women, Bargain Hunt, My Family and Last Of The Summer Wine, but somebody out there must be watching.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here