Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Panic at the Pumps.

D

Deleted member 18477

I can buy the idea that people are filling up earlier but what about all the feckless fatheads filling up as many jerry cans as they can fit in the back of their Chelsea Tractor?

Regardless of that, just the massive increase in short term demand has caused shortages, a panic mentality and an opportunity for unscrupulous traders to fleece punters. So much for the "keep calm and carry on" mantra.

Sure, the government may not have engineered this but are they complaining about the extra tax revenue and the deflection away from a number of issues such criticsm over the budget? Not likely.

:lolol:

westy1983

Feb 28, 2005
Hove
I did yesterday morning on the way back from the school run at the garage on the edge of Shoreham Beach - no problems. Just been to Sainsburys to get some shopping and the queue for fuel is just stupid !

Nipped out to the Shoreham one, there were small queues, much more than you'd expect for a Thur lunchtime. Now hearing people saying it is closed though!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Nipped out to the Shoreham one, there were small queues, much more than you'd expect for a Thur lunchtime. Now hearing people saying it is closed though!

My god - run out !!!! I only put a little in because I was on red. There would appear to be quite a number of twonks out there !!!!!!!!!!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
So has anyone actually bought fuel without queuing yet? I've just hit the red zone on my car and even if it means going out at 2am...

Went out yesterday and filled the van up without a queue, then popped out again in the evening to fill the wife's up (going to Somerset on Saturday) so have some to get down there but sure about coming back !
No queues at all in Brighton yesterday.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Stupid queues at Lottbridge Drove Tesco causing tailbacks onto Seaside Road at various parts of the day. Asda petrol station closed at the Marina Eastbourne.

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
No problem filling up, thankfully, so will make it down and back on Saturday fingers crossed can get fuel for rest of the games this season.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
I filled up last Saturday and today,still have 1/2 tank of go go juice. If I drive super carefully, I'll not have to fill up again until next Tuesday at the earliest. Hopefully by then, the panic will be over !

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
But there won't be extra revenue in the long run I wouldn't have thought. They are just collecting it early. I doubt very much if people that have filled up will choose to drive extra distances now they have lots of fuel - possibly the exact opposite.

True - they are collecting it early to a point and people may conserve more which means the long term revenue gain may balance out. But they are getting extra from the number of people filling up jerry cans not to mention where the price has gone up.

It's still got to be a bonus for them that all the lemmings are distracted and causing a problem that didn't exist.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I agree it is on its knees, but that is not due to a bunch of tanker drivers though. The industry which brought the country to its knees has just had its tax rate cut from 50% to 45%.
You do realise that it's not just bankers that earn big money?many high earners earn this money and bloody deserve it,also these high earners are taxed well in salarys and bonuses,so contribute a bloody lot.

Would you prefer it if all our high performers fu-ked off abroad?

The only case you may have is politicians ???

D

Deleted member 22389

I feel sorry for the poor people who need to go and visit relatives who are in hospital, and are now unable to buy any fuel because of this panic.
This is a crazy situation now. Its gone from relative calm to an absolute shambles.

D

Deleted member 22389

Stupid queues at Lottbridge Drove Tesco causing tailbacks onto Seaside Road at various parts of the day. Asda petrol station closed at the Marina Eastbourne.

Telscombe garage dry, Peacehaven Shell a long wait, will soon be dry.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
To be honest, its you and the tanker drivers that are missing the wider point.

The country's economy is on its knees. Had that passed you by? This type of action, will cause many millions of pounds of further harm to that fragile economy, causing thousands more job losses in all sectors. Thousands of the people who you want to show SUPPORT for these drivers.

To be quite frank I care no more of what you think of the tanker drivers or myself than I believe this government when they say were all in it together, whilst cutting taxes for 300,000 millionaires and increasing taxes for 4 million pensioners.

I don't normally come to this site to spout off about my view of the world. I leave that to you. You seem to have done a fair bit of it.

I am too busy fighting every day to defend Unite members in the health service from the devastating cuts brought about by our greedy millionaire led government. To help workers who have spent all their lives serving the public work out why their jobs are being cut when they've contributed a lot to this society by looking after peoples health and paying taxes. Taxes that are spent on providing tax cuts to the rich, bailing out bankers that drove their companies to the verge of bankruptcy, and fighting a war that benefits no one but large corporations, politicians and religious fanatics.

As I said I don't normally spout off, realising it will only give someone with a pc and a badly informed opinion an opportunity to come back at me. However I am quite comfortable with my contribution to making our society a better more caring one. I'd like to say I'm sorry you think differently, but i'm not.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Is it me or is this panic buying mental, the tanker drivers have said they will give a weeks notice to strike, they intend to hold talks on a monday so the likely hood of the strike being before Easter weekend is highly unlikely, also there really is no need for it all to go mental, the government need to shut up on this until a strike is announced its like they want them to go on strike by forcing there hand.

Also is this another money scheme buy the government by them saying we must fill our tanks at the moment alot of money is going into the country with people panic buying right now.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
just been to tesco's london rd burgess hill people round here must think coz haywards heath is runnung out of fuel they have to come over here and empty these pumps dry

Just wasted a tenners worth of diesel driving up and down London Road Burgess Hill looking for Tesco but couldnt find one so gave up. Went through Burgess Hill this morning pulled straight into the Shell in London Rd and put my usual £20 diesel in.

gully07

Sep 26, 2010
hassocks
Just wasted a tenners worth of diesel driving up and down London Road Burgess Hill looking for Tesco but couldnt find one so gave up. Went through Burgess Hill this morning pulled straight into the Shell in London Rd and put my usual £20 diesel in.

after i wrote it and shot off to the prh i realised that i put tesco's and not shell thats what having a baby being born overnight does to your brain

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here