Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace's financial results (waiting, waiting, waiting...)

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Have you seen our academy? It would seem not.

Perhaps the quality of player that is turned out for the first team and beyond also helps with the reputation?

I understand the need for BHA to argue oneupmanship against CPFC in every aspect of the football and business, really I do but arguing that something you don't yet have will be better than something we have been running for years with great success smacks of desperation. You lack patience. Wait and see what happens, then argue the toss, it will have a better grounds.

We had patience and now we do have a better ground thanks.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Cheers BoF. If only I knew how to work google (that's not a euphemism).

It says:
A fixed tariff for transfers of players under 18 – The proposed tariff is
aged 9–11 £3,000
aged 12–16 £12,500 - £40,000 depending on academy category

so it doesn't say what price for those aged 17.

What seems odd to me is how the price goes up so much per 1st team appearance, because a buying (stealing club) will just act fast and get in after a player has had a few appearances, thus saving themselves a fortune. And that means the club with the young prospect would be best off not playing them (and highlighting their ability), but signing them on a long term contract instead.

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Doesn't it also encourage them to push players through the ranks as a kid who has made an appearance for your first team can't just be 'stolen'?

I can forsee clubs using minor cup competitions or meaningless end of season games to fill their bench with youth players, and get 3 of them on for 10 minutes, just to get them pro status, and safe from poaching.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can forsee clubs using minor cup competitions or meaningless end of season games to fill their bench with youth players, and get 3 of them on for 10 minutes, just to get them pro status, and safe from poaching.
Looking at the link it suggests that playing for the first team doesn't stop them being taken. It just ups the fee a little bit.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Looking at the link it suggests that playing for the first team doesn't stop them being taken. It just ups the fee a little bit.

Oh ok. My statement should read

I can forsee clubs using minor cup competitions or meaningless end of season games to fill their bench with youth players, and get 3 of them on for 10 minutes, just to get them pro status, and up the fee payable should they be poached.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

A 16 or 17 year old who has made a 1st team appearance in a senior competitive game and is poached by a "big club" will still leave for peanuts. If we achieve Cat 1 status there is nothing to stop us cherry picking potential future stars from other academies with Cat 2 status.

A 16 or 17 year old who has made a 1st team appearance in a senior competitive game and is poached by a "big club" will still leave for peanuts. If we achieve Cat 1 status there is nothing to stop us cherry picking potential future stars from other academies with Cat 2 status.

Which would really annoy the crap out of me, it would make us just as bad as the elite clubs that I despise.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Which would really annoy the crap out of me, it would make us just as bad as the elite clubs that I despise.

I was just making a point that mcgoldrick can't quite grasp about academies which might be clicking over on past reputations who will see all their talent poached in the future by academies with Cat 1 status.

mcgoldrick

Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Eastbourne
I was just making a point that mcgoldrick can't quite grasp about academies which might be clicking over on past reputations who will see all their talent poached in the future by academies with Cat 1 status.

Of course I can grasp that as it is exactly the sort of thing that happened to us - quite publicly with Mr Bostock. One of the main reasons why both clubs are trying to get Cat 1 status.

Of course I can grasp that as it is exactly the sort of thing that happened to us - quite publicly with Mr Bostock. One of the main reasons why both clubs are trying to get Cat 1 status.

Spurs didn't poach Bostock though, Bostocks father engineered the move. And lets be honest here, he's hardly set the football world alight has he.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A 16 or 17 year old who has made a 1st team appearance in a senior competitive game and is poached by a "big club" will still leave for peanuts.
Indeed, which is why I speculated that a club might prefer to hide some prospects until they're 18, rather than play them and watch a big club take them.

That's just the way it's going to work, there's no point getting upset about it - you can't be the only club that doesn't bother taking young players. Presumably all clubs will get used to it, and the smaller ones will take that into account when spending money finding players and bringing them on. We're going to have good players taken from us too.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
It looks like we are going for cat 1 status again.
Sussex based businessman and Palace fan Mark Smith, as agreed to sponsor the academy for 4 years, so now the finances are in place for Palace to try again.
Most south London youngster now want to come to Palace, as opposed to the BIG clubs, because they know that if they are good enough, they will progress to the 1st team and play regularly.
Some of you are in cloud cuckoo land if you think that you'll automatically get cat 1 status as soon as TB opens his wallet.It will take years for you to get your academy up to cat 1 level. We coach kids from 5/6 years of age, and some have come up through all the levels to play for the 1st team, So don't believe you can just go around poaching the best talent .
You'll have to put in the hard graft, and bring the kids through slowly, it's more satisfying that way .
Anyway in the meantime, you'll have to keep raiding the Spanish league for talent !

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
It looks like we are going for cat 1 status again.
Sussex based businessman and Palace fan Mark Smith, as agreed to sponsor the academy for 4 years, so now the finances are in place for Palace to try again.
Most south London youngster now want to come to Palace, as opposed to the BIG clubs, because they know that if they are good enough, they will progress to the 1st team and play regularly.
Some of you are in cloud cuckoo land if you think that you'll automatically get cat 1 status as soon as TB opens his wallet.It will take years for you to get your academy up to cat 1 level. We coach kids from 5/6 years of age, and some have come up through all the levels to play for the 1st team, So don't believe you can just go around poaching the best talent .
You'll have to put in the hard graft, and bring the kids through slowly, it's more satisfying that way .
Anyway in the meantime, you'll have to keep raiding the Spanish league for talent !

Yep that is great that you now have a mini TB who is going to sponsor the academy and I also have read the story about this guy.
Plenty of talk about him putting money in but nothing I can find that states that the aim is CAT1 with this 4 year sponsorship.
Perhaps you can post a link that backs up what you are saying, thanks

mcgoldrick

Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Eastbourne
Yep that is great that you now have a mini TB who is going to sponsor the academy and I also have read the story about this guy.
Plenty of talk about him putting money in but nothing I can find that states that the aim is CAT1 with this 4 year sponsorship.
Perhaps you can post a link that backs up what you are saying, thanks

Not a direct statement but certainly the aim is to support the Academy Objectives that as have been stated is to achieve Cat 1 status.
CPFC Announce New Academy Partner

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Having read this whole thread it seems the only thing palace are really able to spout off about is their academy, great well done there's not a fan of any club in the country who really gives a toss come Saturday afternoons. Some of them are literally frothing at the mouth about it and getting very precious, bless. They have a good academy, we will have one too in due course, it's of no real consequence or importance to the majority of fans and it really doesn't make one club better than the other. All that matters is the last result, it mattered when palace beat us 3-1 at the Amex last season and they had a years good value out if it, it matters now after we battered them 3-0 when they bottled it and didn't turn up, it may matter again in a few weeks time if we are unlucky enough to draw their scummy arses in the playoffs.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Not a direct statement but certainly the aim is to support the Academy Objectives that as have been stated is to achieve Cat 1 status.
CPFC Announce New Academy Partner

I suspect you will find most of don't give a shit really.

Bottom line is we are as a club are going forward, stage by stage, and if we haven't already (which I would argue we have) we will have surpassed you by a long way very soon.

The biggest problem Palace have is fan base. Without turning that around (which seems to be purely based on reaching the premiership) there is no hope of you keeping up with us.

The best you can ever be is a Stoke, Wigan type club. We are aiming a little higher.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here