Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace's financial results (waiting, waiting, waiting...)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Set up costs on move to Falmer £3 million
I must have missed this from our accounts - where are they shown, are they part of another expense? That makes a huge difference to how the accounts can be interpreted.

Bridge and Upson recent England internationals?
Yes, but someone's already pointed that out to you.
Vicente may have once been good and fit, Bruno - really? We attracted Edgar Davids, he was also past it.
Davids played for you for 2 1/2 months, playing 7 times. He was too old when he joined you and couldn't cut it, even in a team that finished 20th. Vicente has played 30 times so far, and Bruno has played 28 times, so your comparison is ridiculous.

The training ground doesn't offer any accommodation, look at the plans on Adur's planning website. BHAFC have recently stepped up their search for host families in Lancing because of this.
If the accommodation had to be part of the ground (and I'm not sure it does) and they couldn't get planning permission, the club could simply buy some houses that adjoin the facilities - job done.

John Bostock. This is why we are now attempting to gain Cat 1 status. Will the Brighton Academy go straight in at Cat 1?

But that was Bostock himself who engineered a move to Spurs not Spurs walking in and taking him.

Is he captain of England yet?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Will the Brighton Academy go straight in at Cat 1?
Once it's built and the staff have been employed, it'll have to be checked to see if it meets with the requirements (post 415). If it does, then it will be Cat 1.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Your new facilities - or the artists drawing of some posh new bulidings looks ace and will be a draw, but then our facilities are also excellent and we have the advantage of a proven track record and an excellent reutations with established scouting and coaching which is widely respected throughout the game. It is a selling point that cannot be bought.

This principle that you and others are clinging to, that your 'excellent coaching' is something that 'cannot be bought' is simply ridiculous. Football is like any other industry, and where valuable and skilled personnel are concerned, subject to the very same market forces. Do you really not understand the concept of head-hunting, or just recruitment generally?

Once it's built and the staff have been employed, it'll have to be checked to see if it meets with the requirements (post 415). If it does, then it will be Cat 1.

I'm pretty sure that results will play some part in getting Cat 1 not just having a shiny new building.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm pretty sure that results will play some part in getting Cat 1 not just having a shiny new building.
Ok. Post 415 seems to cover quite a lot and doesn't mention it though. If you create the best facilities in the world, and employ the best staff (who have a track record of producing the best players), you're still not going to have any 'results' for some years. And it would be difficult to define such results - should players have to be in the academy for a few years and then play x number of games at the top level, or should you sell a player for an arbitrary figure?

mcgoldrick

Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Eastbourne
This principle that you and others are clinging to, that your 'excellent coaching' is something that 'cannot be bought' is simply ridiculous. Football is like any other industry, and where valuable and skilled personnel are concerned, subject to the very same market forces. Do you really not understand the concept of head-hunting, or just recruitment generally?

As a package the skills and experience ALONG with the reputation of the academy as being respected in the football World is not something that can be bought. Not syaing your academy will not be great, I'm sure it will. I'm just saying that you can't just buy a great academy that is functioning well and turning out talent from year 1.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As a package the skills and experience ALONG with the reputation of the academy as being respected in the football World is not something that can be bought. Not syaing your academy will not be great, I'm sure it will. I'm just saying that you can't just buy a great academy that is functioning well and turning out talent from year 1.

Well that's clearly obvious. Any talent turned out in year 1 will only have been there for a year, for starters. But just for clarity, what do you think it is, that enjoys this 'respect and reputation in the football world'? Do you think it's the wooden shed and the patch of grass, with the academy sign at the gate, or do you think it's the academy director and his staff? I'd suggest its the latter, and you could lose any one, or all of them overnight, if a club with the means and inclination decided that was what they wanted.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But just for clarity, what do you think it is, that enjoys this 'respect and reputation in the football world'? Do you think it's the wooden shed and the patch of grass, with the academy sign at the gate, or do you think it's the academy director and his staff? I'd suggest its the latter, and you could lose any one, or all of them overnight, if a club with the means and inclination decided that was what they wanted.
Easy HKFC, you're going to make him cry in a minute.

mcgoldrick

Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Eastbourne
Well that's clearly obvious. Any talent turned out in year 1 will only have been there for a year, for starters. But just for clarity, what do you think it is, that enjoys this 'respect and reputation in the football world'? Do you think it's the wooden shed and the patch of grass, with the academy sign at the gate, or do you think it's the academy director and his staff? I'd suggest its the latter, and you could lose any one, or all of them overnight, if a club with the means and inclination decided that was what they wanted.

Have you seen our academy? It would seem not.

Perhaps the quality of player that is turned out for the first team and beyond also helps with the reputation?

I understand the need for BHA to argue oneupmanship against CPFC in every aspect of the football and business, really I do but arguing that something you don't yet have will be better than something we have been running for years with great success smacks of desperation. You lack patience. Wait and see what happens, then argue the toss, it will have a better grounds.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fair enough, but that's a bit like opening a new restaurant and getting a Michelin star before you've produced one plate of food.
But what would the alternative be (for football)? It's not easy to judge the job an academy does in the short/medium term.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Do you think it's the wooden shed and the patch of grass, with the academy sign at the gate, or do you think it's the academy director and his staff?

Perhaps the quality of player that is turned out for the first team and beyond also helps with the reputation?
Jesus are you that stupid? Of course the quality of player that is turned out helps the reputation, but what is it that turns out those players - it's the staff, and if the staff leave then so does the reputation.

I understand the need for BHA to argue oneupmanship against CPFC in every aspect of the football and business, really I do but arguing that something you don't yet have will be better than something we have been running for years with great success smacks of desperation. You lack patience.
:facepalm: People are just saying it looks like it'll be a great academy (for the size of club we are) and you're saying you can't just have a great academy without having a reputation for years, and we're disputing that, that's all.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I understand the need for BHA to argue oneupmanship against CPFC in every aspect of the football and business, really I do but arguing that something you don't yet have will be better than something we have been running for years with great success smacks of desperation. You lack patience. Wait and see what happens, then argue the toss, it will have a better grounds.

You seem a little confused. I haven't once mentioned our academy.

All I'm saying is that the past success of YOURS is no guarantee of future success, because that past success is based on the skills of the personnel involved. Personnel that you could lose, to richer clubs, offering better working conditions and/ or salary packages. You claimed that what you have can't be bought. Clearly it can, or at least the bits that actually matter.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No idea Trig, the whole EPPP thing reeks to me.
Yes, I don't know the details. To steal talent (ie, without any compensation) would be totally wrong, but it's good to have something to encourage clubs to have good facilities. Our facilities will be better due to the rules, and it looks like Palace will improve theirs due to the rules - that's got to be good for the young talent in this country.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

I love all this arguing one up man ship?
So will you and all other Palace fans stop banging on about what you have achieved in the last 25 years, although achieving nothing for the last 8 years, other than helping yourself to other peoples money AGAIN.
Although I do understand this because you are a club living in the past with no plans for going forward.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes, I don't know the details. To steal talent (ie, without any compensation) would be totally wrong, but it's good to have something to encourage clubs to have good facilities. Our facilities will be better due to the rules, and it looks like Palace will improve theirs due to the rules - that's got to be good for the young talent in this country.

Doesn't it also encourage them to push players through the ranks as a kid who has made an appearance for your first team can't just be 'stolen'?

I want to add to the conversation
"There's a difference between not being able to buy something and getting something and not paying for it #administration/*cough*administration*cough*"*

But fear the cost of just wanting to make a tongue in cheek dig at palace's administration would lead to being dagger into a conversation I don't really care about.

*delete as appropriate to make me look cool

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Doesn't it also encourage them to push players through the ranks as a kid who has made an appearance for your first team can't just be 'stolen'?
I don't know what these new Cat 1 rules are. Presumably there's a good idea in there somewhere, that's been hidden by some clever big clubs so they can screw over the little clubs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here