Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace's financial results (waiting, waiting, waiting...)

Currently Cat 2 now applying for Cat 1.

Which you won't get without massive investment into the existing facilities.
There is no disputing the quality of your Academy system, the coaches therein and (god damn you) the players produced but unfortunately the FA or whoever it is decides such things like to see shiny doors polished tables clean carpets.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Currently Cat 2 now applying for Cat 1.

You have only in the last few months been refused CAT 1 status and I understand there were some costly changes needed for you to ever become CAT 1.

It is like many things at Palace time has caught up with you and big money is needed to be spent on the academy, training ground and Selhurst.

Interesting make or brake few years in front of you.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
You have only in the last few months been refused CAT 1 status and I understand there were some costly changes needed for you to ever become CAT 1.

Plus only get re-assessed every 2 years so won't be at least till 2014......in which time Chelsea, Arsenal etc... will have nicked all your talent!

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Which you won't get without massive investment into the existing facilities.
There is no disputing the quality of your Academy system, the coaches therein and (god damn you) the players produced but unfortunately the FA or whoever it is decides such things like to see shiny doors polished tables clean carpets.

Really , Could you enlighten me as to exactly what Palace need to do to gain CAT1?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Really , Could you enlighten me as to exactly what Palace need to do to gain CAT1?

Something like this
brighton-ntg-planning.jpg

Rather than this
training.jpg

Be honest if you are a young future international player, where would you choose?

No, last time I enlightened a palace poster on here with direct quotes from The Chairman of CPFC2010 (the fat one) he basically argued against what was written and twisted your own chairmans words. It was quite amusing to see him argue against CPFC2010.

But, if you look really, really closely you may see that my post was actually a compliment to your academy rather than an attack.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

The criteria on which categorisation is based is fairly broad from what I can see - for instance Brighton wouldn't get cat 2 based on its current training facilities, but did based on the new complex at Lancing being in the pipeline.

Category 1 means you need to have good facilities, a budget of about £2.35m, 18 full time staff, and a lot more time spent with the players.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bridge and Upson recent England internationals? Vicente may have once been good and fit, Bruno - really? We attracted Edgar Davids, he was also past it.

Well yes. Upson played in the most recent WORLD CUP. In fact he's the last English player to score at one. Bridge stopped playing a couple of years sooner, but purely of his own choosing, for well-documented non football reasons.

Comparing a 30 year old Vicente, with a 37 year old Davids is clutching at straws. Not remotely comparable. David's was utterly finished. Vicente is brittle, but still very, very capable when fit.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
In all honesty, at the moment I would choose Palace. Settled academey with top class coaching and a track record for pushing talent into the senior teams. It's not all about flashy buildings (that aren't even built yet)

But in a year's time that won't be the case. You take a young kid on a tour of the AMEX and then the training facilities, show them the sea and the downs, and then ask of they enjoyed their tour of Selhurst and South London. Hmm, bit of a no brainer I would say.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

FA rules state that a club with Category 1 status must have several full time employees. Among the roles are sports scientist, coach developer, strength and conditioning coach, 2 full time performance analysts, a psychologist and head of education.

In a Category 1 training session there has to be at least one coach for every eight players.

A Category 1 Academy should spend £2.3m per year

Under Category 1, Under-11 players have eight hours coaching a week for 46 weeks a year, meaning those players receive an annual total of at least 368 hours of tuition.

a) A sufficient number of grass pitches of the appropriate sizes (as required by the Rules relating to Games Programmes and with goals sized as required by the Rules relating to Games Programmes) to enable the Club to play all its matches in the Games Programmes and fulfil its commitments under these Rules as regards coaching. Rule I.26 shall apply to Academy pitches. Without prejudice to the generality of the Rule, each Club shall ensure that the quality of its pitches used for matches in the Games Programmes is not adversely
affected by coaching taking place on them. Clubs may accordingly need to have a greater number of pitches than the bare minimum necessary to fulfil matches in the Games programme.

b) One floodlit grass pitch enclosed with perimeter fencing and with designated areas for spectator attendance (save that if a Club is unable to obtain planning permission for floodlighting then the requirement for floodlighting shall be waived);
c) A designated area (on grass) for the coaching of goalkeepers.

One floodlit outdoor Artificial Surface pitch
One indoor pitch measuring a minimum of 60 yards by 40 yards which shall be owned by the Club (or alternatively the Club must have a legally enforceable agreement with the owner of the facility for its use by the Club, expiring not earlier than the end of the current Season) and which shall be for the exclusive use of the Academy at all times. (Note: an indoor pitch which complies with the size requirements set out in Rule I.21 is recommended).

A minimum of three classrooms which shall each:
• contain sufficient desks for 20 students;
• contain 20 computers with access to the internet;
• conform in all respects with any requirements for classrooms issued by the Department for Education and Skills.

provide dedicated housing, house parents and a secure environment in which to live and work whilst staying with the club. This will need to apply to all players who live outside a short commute from their club’s training ground.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
In all honesty, at the moment I would choose Palace. Settled academey with top class coaching and a track record for pushing talent into the senior teams. It's not all about flashy buildings (that aren't even built yet)

But it is not just a case of flashy buildings, it is case of the facilities within those buildings, which I understand the grading states have to be in one area and not spread all over the town/city.
The comment about not being built yet is true, but it is now under construction and will be ready for the next time CAT 1 is reviewed.
And as for the top coaches, well that goes along the same lines as the young player, what facilities would you rather be coaching in, don't you think?
Again this look at what we have done over the last 25 years attitude that Palace fans use for everything, your club has to climb and build for the future, not rest on past glories, or it will just fade away in my opinion.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
But in a year's time that won't be the case. You take a young kid on a tour of the AMEX and then the training facilities, show them the sea and the downs, and then ask of they enjoyed their tour of Selhurst and South London. Hmm, bit of a no brainer I would say.

To be fair, remember that the kid in question might be FROM South London.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011

Your new facility looks great, Fair play. I wish we had something as swanky in the pipeline. But kids and more importantly parents like to see results and top class coaching within academies, Something which can't always be bought off the peg.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
No, last time I enlightened a palace poster on here with direct quotes from The Chairman of CPFC2010 (the fat one) he basically argued against what was written and twisted your own chairmans words. It was quite amusing to see him argue against CPFC2010.

But, if you look really, really closely you may see that my post was actually a compliment to your academy rather than an attack.

Got the compliments Hilly. I was purely asking you what we needed to do as you had posted this- Which you won't get without massive investment into the existing facilities.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here