Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace v Brighton Memories

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Simster said:
Me too, probably something to do with my age - I'm 34 on Sunday.

In the days of 3 up, 3 down, I remember the 5-1 defeat at Fratton when we were 1-0 up at half time.

Willie f***ing Young. FFS! :angry: :angry: :angry: :censored:

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
AJ's Love Monkey said:
Agreed my boy is only 8 and he isnt too fond of Brighton, Millwall or Charlton! :clap2:
Unlike his old man!!!:lolol: :lolol:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
My first Brighton Palace game was in about '85. We won 2-0 at the Goldstone and had two or three disallowed. Could have been our very own 5-0 :nono:

I've never been to Selhurst, was abroad during 2002 and was to young prior to that, so this year will be memorable...

rospants

off to ronan in the park!
Jul 11, 2005
brighton
tickets arrived today (for myself, crazy cornish girl and virgos haircut), see you all there to watch the seagulls win!!!:clap2: :clap2:

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
El Presidente said:
Easter 1981. Palace (the team of the 80's) had already been relegated from the top division but the Albion were also in the relegation zone and needed to win their last four games to have a chance of staying up.

Huge following from the Albion, after about 20 minutes a long ball from the right came over and John Gregory, supposedly playing at right back, came steaming in from the left wing and we were one up.

A few minutes later we break from defence, and somehow Gregory is there again. 2-0 up at Selhurst at half time and things are looking good. Second half and the Albion are looking good and attacking our end. The elegant Gordon Smith gets a third and we go mental.

Then we win the next three games and stay up, piece of piss!

If I remember right that was the game when they gave us the Holmesdale end. I went with a "mate" who supports palarse and he intended to take me in the palarse end with him. He didn't realise until we were inside that he'd taken me into the Albion end! His face was a picture!

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
Kent Seagull said:
If I remember right that was the game when they gave us the Holmesdale end. I went with a "mate" who supports palarse and he intended to take me in the palarse end with him. He didn't realise until we were inside that he'd taken me into the Albion end! His face was a picture!

Palace have never given the Holmesdale road end to any team fella you must have had one too many Shandy Bass! :lol:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I remember a couple of things about that game with all the penalties. First, I think that the opening three Palace spot-kicks were all really close together - within the space of about 15 minutes? Even stranger, they were all the right decision.

Ours was a joke. Someone running through (Kevin Bremner?) took the dodgiest-looking tumble, and everyone shouted "Penalty!" as a gag. We were laughing even more when Morton the Moron gave it.

It's still the British record for the most penalties in a match and, I think, only one off the world record.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I worked with a Palace fan in Brighton. We went to every Brighton/ Palace game from 1974 until 1980. We had an agreement that whoevers team lost bought the drinks for the evening. In all those seven years Brighton never let me down. This arrangement only ended when Palace got relegated. (With an embarrasing 19 points from 46 games)

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
dougdeep said:
I worked with a Palace fan in Brighton. We went to every Brighton/ Palace game from 1974 until 1980. We had an agreement that whoevers team lost bought the drinks for the evening. In all those seven years Brighton never let me down. This arrangement only ended when Palace got relegated. (With an embarrasing 19 points from 46 games)

Good old Doug never misses a chance to have a pop! :clap2:

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
AJ's Love Monkey said:
Palace have never given the Holmesdale road end to any team fella you must have had one too many Shandy Bass! :lol:

You are wrong I'm afraid, the game I'm thinking of we definately had the whole of the Holmesdale end. Maybe the Palace ran away (again)! Other times we have had the Blackhorse lane end and the Arthur Waite stand. Surely there must be someone else old enough to remember?

26-10-02

FFS MURRAY!!!!!!!!
Apr 22, 2004
purley
Kent Seagull said:
You are wrong I'm afraid, the game I'm thinking of we definately had the whole of the Holmesdale end. Maybe the Palace ran away (again)! Other times we have had the Blackhorse lane end and the Arthur Waite stand. Surely there must be someone else old enough to remember?
Get your dunces hat on both of you.
Kent seagull -brighton have never had the whole end the most they have been given is one section plus some seats.The same as all other away teams apart from some london clubs who got two .
A.J. get your dunces hat on:dunce:
Pompey in 1988 or 9 were given it at the end of the season when they had to get one point from two games to go up.We scored in the last minute and I may be wrong but I think they failed.I remember it well as I was one moved along the pitch into the arthur waite when they realised how many were coming.I think they had about 10000 out of 18000

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
26-10-02 said:
Get your dunces hat on both of you.
Kent seagull -brighton have never had the whole end the most they have been given is one section plus some seats.The same as all other away teams apart from some london clubs who got two .
A.J. get your dunces hat on:dunce:
Pompey in 1988 or 9 were given it at the end of the season when they had to get one point from two games to go up.We scored in the last minute and I may be wrong but I think they failed.I remember it well as I was one moved along the pitch into the arthur waite when they realised how many were coming.I think they had about 10000 out of 18000

Sorry to piss on your parade

When we played in 1977, we had the whole of the end now where the sainsbury's is, I got in late and Barry Butlin who was on loan from Forest scored after 2 minutes and we missed the goal. We won 1-0

About 2 years later I think it was, we again had the whole end behind the goal, again where the Sainsbury's is. Nice sunny day...funnies thing was a bunch of palace skins came in thinking they were in the palace end, they were chased down the bottom where they tried to get on the pitch, the police kept chucking them back...it was very funny at the time, but I assume they had headaches for a while after.

It then moved to the other end where the new stand is and we had the corner and underneath the stand.

First game I saw albion play was Palace at home in 1975, where we won 1-0 ( Ricky marlowe?) Best performance was indeed the Danny Wilson goal game...superb.

Used to reemember Palace had a volkski beetle that was fitted with rollers...used to roll up and down the wings at half time, where peter taylor would weave his magic. Best Palace player I have seen ( Vince Hilaire wasn't half bad either)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Surprised you could get it up and had enough lead in your pencil.

Apparantly some palace players are in Beckenham at the moment. Bunch of tossers.

Hey steady I was born in Beckenham. Mind you my parents had the decency to move to civilisation when I was five.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Whatever happened to Rachid Harkouk the money printer, is he still inside?

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
the night before my first Brighton/Palace game I managed to persuade my girlfriend at the time to drop 'em
after nearly 15 years of nothing , 12 fannys in 2 days !

Last edited:

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
:wave:

26-10-02

FFS MURRAY!!!!!!!!
Apr 22, 2004
purley
dave the gaffer said:
Sorry to piss on your parade

When we played in 1977, we had the whole of the end now where the sainsbury's is, I got in late and Barry Butlin who was on loan from Forest scored after 2 minutes and we missed the goal. We won 1-0

About 2 years later I think it was, we again had the whole end behind the goal, again where the Sainsbury's is. Nice sunny day...funnies thing was a bunch of palace skins came in thinking they were in the palace end, they were chased down the bottom where they tried to get on the pitch, the police kept chucking them back...it was very funny at the time, but I assume they had headaches for a while after.

It then moved to the other end where the new stand is and we had the corner and underneath the stand.

First game I saw albion play was Palace at home in 1975, where we won 1-0 ( Ricky marlowe?) Best performance was indeed the Danny Wilson goal game...superb.

Used to reemember Palace had a volkski beetle that was fitted with rollers...used to roll up and down the wings at half time, where peter taylor would weave his magic. Best Palace player I have seen ( Vince Hilaire wasn't half bad either)
We were talking about the holmesdale end not thewhitehorse end.So no pissing on my parade there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here