Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace v Brighton Memories

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Goring Gull said:
The old timers exactly a forgotten era, no self respecting palace chav would be intrested in Brighton now, it's all Charlton and Millwall, understandable really as Croydon is as good as London anyway.

Smacks of us desperatley trying to stoke up a rivalry that has long since had it's day.
#

I wouldnt go that far just coz we havent met regularly over the last few years.

Not all teams play their derby each year, and dont say that as it gives Twatty O ammunition coz he somehow thinks we are their rivals. Yeah right.

Jul 20, 2003
...losing a bet with a Palace supporting mate and being in the away end for a ZDS game at The Goldstone, 0-2 Wright and Bright in extra time I think

Northstand sang 'Johnny Crumplin Football genius' solidly for about half an hour

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Thats coz they believed their rivals were Wimbledon or Millwall or some other shit.

The old timers like CB know its Brighton
Too right. Only one rival. It`s true what people say, some younger fans hate Millwall and Charlton more these days.

No doubt it will all be back to normal.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Croydonbloke said:
To be fair I have only been to the Goldstone once back in 85 and can`t recall much about the game other than we lost. My only memories are the 5-0 win and our win back in the Penalty game I went tomour victory at Selhurst in 1979 but too young to remeber it today. Had Brighton not gone into the lower regions of football I may of had many more memories.
1-0 - Gary OReilly header for us before he went to the dark side. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
#

I wouldnt go that far just coz we havent met regularly over the last few years.

Not all teams play their derby each year, and dont say that as it gives Twatty O ammunition coz he somehow thinks we are their rivals. Yeah right.

I just remeber as a kid when first started watching albion 88/89 approx it was always teh game sagainst Pompey i used to love, even though Southampton were their rivals i always considered Portsmouth the big game rather than Palace.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The 5 pens are obviously a big memory. Did he not also send off Mike Trusson in that game? Mike Trusson. FFS.

My real abiding memory of Selhurst, the one I will take to my grave, is of the Palace fans cheering as Gerry Ryan was stretchered away with his leg broken in three places. I will never forgive.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
hans kraay fan club said:
The 5 pens are obviously a big memory. Did he not also send off Mike Trusson in that game? Mike Trusson. FFS.

My real abiding memory of Selhurst, the one I will take to my grave, is of the Palace fans cheering as Gerry Ryan was stretchered away with his leg broken in three places. I will never forgive.
What about your broken heart in 2002!!! I wouldn`t expect most fans new at the time he broke his leg in 3 places nasty all the same.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
pevenseagull said:
...losing a bet with a Palace supporting mate and being in the away end for a ZDS game at The Goldstone, 0-2 Wright and Bright in extra time I think

Northstand sang 'Johnny Crumplin Football genius' solidly for about half an hour

I think you mean Geeeeeenius! :lolol:

26-10-02

FFS MURRAY!!!!!!!!
Apr 22, 2004
purley
Goring Gull said:
5-0 STUFFING LAST TIME AT SELHURST - ALL THE BUILD UP THE EXPECTATION AND A 5-0 THUMPING - AND THE PALACE FANS NOT REALLY GIVING A STUFF- RIVALRY...PAH MAYBE FROM SOME ON OUR SIDE BUT THEY DIDN'T SEEM TO GIVE A STUFF.
You are joking.More than one paper quoted on the atmosphere putting most so called big derby games to shame.As for the rivalry being one way :nono:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Croydonbloke said:
What about your broken heart in 2002!!! I wouldn`t expect most fans new at the time he broke his leg in 3 places nasty all the same.

It was plainly obvious straight away that it was very serious. Your fans also proceeded to cheer Henry Hughton every time he touched the ball.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
It was plainly obvious straight away that it was very serious. Your fans also proceeded to cheer Henry Hughton every time he touched the ball.
In fairness the same would have happened on the other side. Hope he has made a speedy recovery.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I remember screaming a torent of abuse at Paul Brooker for being light weight, lazy, generally shit, and a disgrace to the shirt that scared the mate I was with who'd never seen me go so mental before.
Brooker to his credit took note of my comments and proceeded to track back and put a tackle in. Unfortunatly he gave away a penalty and got red carded. Twat.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004

Yes, that is true. Also remember someone cutting Codner in two at the Goldstone, Andy Gray I think.

Saw three Palace defeats at the Goldstone (83, 84 and 89 I think) and probably three wins and a draw at Selhurst. Did the Houghton/Ryan game end 1-1?

m.c.hamster

Jul 9, 2003
August 1975 aged 18 working at the Top Rank Suite. Left about 12 noon to meet up with friends and go to the game. First game of the season very hot day.
Walking up West Street I couldn't help noticing that half of South London was in Brighton for game (3rd Division after Palace had been relegated). The only colours on display were red and blue stripes.
Got to the North Stand which by the time I got there was full of Palace fans. Took up my position on the left side and suffered abuse from Palace fans until our side filled up.
27,000 people at the game. We managed to shut them up with a 1-0 win (Ian Mellor).

Also went to Selhurst for an evening game, when Palace were unbeaten and we were poor. Scored early on (Barry Butlin) and we were in the wrong stand. Celebrated a lot and took lots of abuse. We won 1-0 that day as well.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have lots of great memories but they are all eclipsed by the PATHETIC performance of Steve Coppell's Brighton on 26-10-02.

Was there an Albion player who looked like he had a clue what this game meant to us ?:censored:

We were like lambs to the slaughter from the kick off and the prematch atmosphere that I thought was building pretty well died as the munutes ticked by to the most embarrasing performance I think I've ever seen from the Albion.

Please tell me that the team are up for it this time Race :lolol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Nasty game that one. I remember fights all over the shop and then being showered with coins at half time. :nono:

And the attendance? 8,005! We were bigger than them in those days. FACT.

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
Went to my first Palace v Brighton game in 1978 3-1 to us and been many times since and the rivalry was intense believe me. With respect the rivalry is alien to the younger Palace fans as i am sure it is among the Younger Brighton ones but to us older boys there is nothing like it. Bring it on!! :clap: :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here