Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace to Brighton REMF fundraising bike ride idea.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
That is a cracking idea Frank. Let me or Woodingdean Gull know if we can help.

fcportaloo

Nov 1, 2009
Yes count me in. Must include riding up Ditchling Beacon as some on this board feel cycles should be banned from this route

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Will do US. I'll bounce this post a few times if thats ok.

Please do Frank. I think it is a brilliant idea. We can do just giving pages for sponsorship and you can count me in as well.

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
Sounds good, have been thinking about cycling to the Amex from london for a while - this would be great

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think Frank has come up with a real gem here. This could be huge.

A few ideas

The rough cycle route distance between the two grounds is 44 miles so how about calling it something like REMF TOUR 44 or REMF TOUR DE 44 ?

Kick off time on the 17th is 12 o'clock which would mean it would be a really early start. If say riders average 9-10 mph thats four and a half hours plus Ditchling Beacon so say 5 hours, we'd have to set off at 6am to get us to Falmer for 11.
So hows about doing the ride on the Saturday ? This would also mean that its open to all abilities and would give the opportunity for say a lunch stop at a decent pub.
If it looks like this could be more than just a couple of us we could ask the club if we could set up a stall on the concourse the day of the game, with riders and bikes and buckets for donations.

US, would you mind sounding out your contacts within the Palace camp and see if any of them are interested.

Ive opened a gmail account REMFtour44@gmail.com if anyone want to contact me that way

I hope we can sort this out, it could be good fun and hopefully raise a bit of cash.

Please feel free to make suggestions.

Adam

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think you're being very generous with the times.
That's not just me saying that cos I'm a 'geek', the L2B average is quicker and you can't pedal for some.

Plus 6am kick off, it will still be dark.

It is essentially down hill, (until Ditchling).
The average speed should comfortably be double figures.

For reference the Gillingham ride will have been much harder.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The rough cycle route distance between the two grounds is 44 miles so how about calling it something like REMF TOUR 44 or REMF TOUR DE 44 ?

Kick off time on the 17th is 12 o'clock which would mean it would be a really early start. If say riders average 9-10 mph thats four and a half hours plus Ditchling Beacon so say 5 hours, we'd have to set off at 6am to get us to Falmer for 11.
So hows about doing the ride on the Saturday ? This would also mean that its open to all abilities and would give the opportunity for say a lunch stop at a decent pub.
If it looks like this could be more than just a couple of us we could ask the club if we could set up a stall on the concourse the day of the game, with riders and bikes and buckets for donations.

US, would you mind sounding out your contacts within the Palace camp and see if any of them are interested.

Ive opened a gmail account REMFtour44@gmail.com if anyone want to contact me that way

I hope we can sort this out, it could be good fun and hopefully raise a bit of cash.

Please feel free to make suggestions.

Adam

Will do.

I think you're being very generous with the times.
That's not just me saying that cos I'm a 'geek', the L2B average is quicker and you can't pedal for some.

Plus 6am kick off, it will still be dark.

It is essentially down hill, (until Ditchling).
The average speed should comfortably be double figures.

For reference the Gillingham ride will have been much harder.

Ah, ok. So what time would say someone of average fitness (uses a bike to commute for example) could do it in ?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Doesn't make sense to go over the Beacon, really, going through Lewes is a better route. I would suggest this:

Selhurst To Falmer via A22 and Lewes

Would need to be a really early start though 6 am allows for a five hour ride and an hour spare before the match. The sun will not even be up at the start, not until 7:05 to be precise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here