Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

HyperTony

May 20, 2023
VAR offside decisions at Palace do seem strange. They never seem to have a camera directly in line with the incident on freeze frame. It is always about 15 yards up the pitch making drawing a line somewhat impossible considering the precise nature needed. Other clubs don't have this problem. Is Palace lagging behind in the technology game ?

Leicester seem to have evidence that he was offside. If that's the case, this to add to the terrible offside we had at Selhurst, until they have camera's at the right angle how can they operate it?

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Leicester seem to have evidence that he was offside. If that's the case, this to add to the terrible offside we had at Selhurst, until they have camera's at the right angle how can they operate it?
Not so sure I’ve looked at this a few times, some angles he looks off some he looks on, so for me it’s a goal , the game is about goals so let’s give the attacker the benefit, its swings and roundabouts might make up for Ezes goal that was disallowed for a non foul.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Not so sure I’ve looked at this a few times, some angles he looks off some he looks on, so for me it’s a goal , the game is about goals so let’s give the attacker the benefit, its swings and roundabouts might make up for Ezes goal that was disallowed for a non foul.
the problem, as we all know, with VAR offside goals is that the technology is behind the accuracy required when you are making decisions based on millimeters. Video is about 26 frames per second. given the speed of player and ball, then there is too much movement between frames for it to be accurate-even if the cameras are directly in line with the player.
Add into that the (what appears) to be dodgy-lines, and then sometimes inexplicable use of wrong players, wrong body parts measured from, and just simply wrong decisions, he whole thing is open to at best bad misinterpretation, and at worst blatant bias (the tottenham -brighton game springs to mind for us-although every club has their own)

Level should be the body trunk, and toes, knees etc should not count. It would bring more goals, be less contentious and restore some of the enjoyment

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Surely every player as a GPS down the rear of his shirt, just below his neck, make that the point of offside, instant decisions and no need for angles, perceptions etc.

seagull_si

Jul 8, 2011
Peacehaven
Surely every player as a GPS down the rear of his shirt, just below his neck, make that the point of offside, instant decisions and no need for angles, perceptions etc.
I have thought this for a while. there must be a way of putting a sensor in the ball to know the exact moment the ball was kicked and then use the GPS tracker as the reference point for offside. All GPS tracker must be located in the same place on each player.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I have thought this for a while. there must be a way of putting a sensor in the ball to know the exact moment the ball was kicked and then use the GPS tracker as the reference point for offside. All GPS tracker must be located in the same place on each player.
I suspect that this technology may not be as precise as would be required, for measuring offsides.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Seems so logical to me, every kit can be spec'd as to how the GPS is worn, we have the tech to capture exact moment of contact on the ball and hey presto, instant decisions

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Anyway, back to the real reason for the thread, Palace crapping themselves that we're becoming, or have become, a far better club in every way. At least they can close the gap by three points today, facing a team we've already beaten.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here