Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Think you may have strayed a dodgy back pass with that one and let Dougie in.

They finished four points above us.

..... Never let the facts get in the way of a good wind up!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Higher attendances agreed
Better ground Subjective, I would say no
Better squad Subjective, how do you define it?
Better owners Subjective, what makes you think Bloom is better than Parish
Better Strategy Subjective please explain what your strategy is
Unbeaten this season agreed

There was a lot of gloating about Europe last season, and it started well, but came unstuck in Rome. So not quite world beaters but not far off it.

Palace beaters, well the record says you have won more than us over all time, but its only 4 games for now.

Not sure any Palace fan would consider us in your shadow now. At what point do you need to look for new rivals if we are not up to scratch?

Better ground, subjective?
Really?
Our award winning stadium up against your decrepit old ground.
Your owners are trying to finance a new stand, because your ground isn’t up to spec.
Better squad, subjective?
We sold not even our best player for £115 million , you sold your best player for £50 million.
You have 2-3 players that would make our best 15,
Better owner, subjective?
We have an owner who has taken us from the arse end of League 1 to top 6 in the PL and Europe, while building an award winning stadium, and training ground.
Yours, has spent the last 6 years trying to scrape together the cash to build one stand.
And, by the way, Parish isn’t your owner in the way Tony Bloom is ours.
Better strategy, subjective?
Our strategy is to nurture exceptional young talent, and sell it on at exorbitant prices when we are ready, while consitantly finishing in the top 10.
Yours is try to hang on to the PL cash cow for as long as possible so your myriad of owners can make a profit.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We have an owner who has taken us from the arse end of League 1 to top 6 in the PL and Europe, while building an award winning stadium, and training ground.
Yours, has spent the last 6 years TAKING A SIZEABLE SALARY OUT OF THE CLUB
Fixed for you.

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
Higher attendances agreed
Better squad Subjective, how do you define it?
Better owners Subjective, what makes you think Bloom is better than Parish
Better Strategy Subjective please explain what your strategy is
Unbeaten this season agreed

There was a lot of gloating about Europe last season, and it started well, but came unstuck in Rome. So not quite world beaters but not far off it.

Palace beaters, well the record says you have won more than us over all time, but its only 4 games for now.

Not sure any Palace fan would consider us in your shadow now. At what point do you need to look for new rivals if we are not up to scratch?
Ground: Opinion. Subjective in that there’s nothing empirical to substantiate my claim, however you are trying to build a new stand which is almost identical in design to ours - hence upgrading which rather proves my point.

Squad: Fact. See Brand Finance Directory’s and Transfermarkt’s rankings - Brighton above Palace in both.

Owners and strategy: Fact. See The Fair Game Index - Brighton above Palace. Also, we don’t have an owner who would rather own Everton. I mean, imagine that!!!

Another fact: I know Palace fans who think that they’re now in Brighton’s shadow. Similarly, we were in your shadow for years after the Archer/Bellotti fiasco. Not any more though.

We aren’t after a new rival (at least as far as I’m concerned). I enjoy it, especially at the moment.

Last edited:

miffy6

Mar 7, 2009

iu

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
Better ground, subjective?
Really?
Our award winning stadium up against your decrepit old ground.
Your owners are trying to finance a new stand, because your ground isn’t up to spec.
Better squad, subjective?
We sold not even our best player for £115 million , you sold your best player for £50 million.
You have 2-3 players that would make our best 15,
Better owner, subjective?
Yours, has spent the last 6 years trying to scrape together the cash to build one stand.
And, by the way, Parish isn’t your owner in the way Tony Bloom is ours.
Better strategy, subjective?
Our strategy is to nurture exceptional young talent, and sell it on at exorbitant prices when we are ready, while consitantly finishing in the top 10.
Yours is try to hang on to the PL cash cow for as long as possible so your myriad of owners can make a profit.
Ground - its our ground, we own it, and yes it needs a bit of modernisation, but I'd rather that than some soulless bowl on the edge of town
Squad - 2-3 players that would make your best 15 is subjective, as I would say maybe only 2-3 would make our best 15
Owner - Parish is the owner as far as I am concerned. We have 3 others, but SP has the final say, which is why textor wants out. I'd say he is at least as good an owner as Bloom
Strategy - consistently in the top 10, remind me where you finished last season? I dont think you sell when you are ready, you sell when the player has a striop and demands to leave
As I said, different answers depending on who you support, so definitely subjective

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
Ground: Opinion. Subjective in that there’s nothing empirical to substantiate my claim, however you are trying to build a new stand which is almost identical in design to ours - hence upgrading which rather proves my point.

Squad: Fact. See Brand Finance Directory’s and Transfermarkt’s rankings - Brighton above Palace in both.

Owners and strategy: Fact. See The Fair Game Index - Brighton above Palace. Also, we don’t have an owner who would rather own Everton. I mean, imagine that!!!

Another fact: I know Palace fans who think that they’re now in Brighton’s shadow. Similarly, we were in your shadow for years after the Archer/Bellotti fiasco. Not any more though.

We aren’t after a new rival (at least as far as I’m concerned). I enjoy it, especially at the moment.
Squad, subjective, these are rankings based on people's opinions
Owner/Strategy subjective as they are opinions

Fact, I know many fans who dont see us as in your shadow, but waiting for the bubble to burst. 2 points against tinpot Ipswich and Forest must be disappointing. I'm sure you would have expected 6.

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
Owner/Strategy subjective as they are opinions

Fact, I know many fans who dont see us as in your shadow, but waiting for the bubble to burst. 2 points against tinpot Ipswich and Forest must be disappointing. I'm sure you would have expected 6.
Those rankings aren’t based on people’s opinions. They’re based on methodologies. Disagree all you like but you’re arguing opinion v fact which makes you look ridiculous.

Yes, most fans did expect six points from Ipswich and (unbeaten) Forest. But that’s more a statement of how far we’ve come and what our expectations are these days. I suspect most Palace fans would have expected more than three points from your first five games - wasn’t it all about “Ollie’s European Tour”?! And you call Ipswich and Forest “tinpot”? Oh, delicious irony.

As for waiting for our bubble to burst…good luck with that. Not happening any time soon under this owner.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So out of curiosity, does TB take anything out of Brighton, or is it all in? Genuine question
Until last year nothing at all………….not even interest on his loans. Because the club is so well run and achieving it’s aim of being sustainable, it was able to make a modest (relatively speaking) repayment to him last year.

Last edited:

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
Until last year nothing at all………….not even interest on his loans. Because the club is so well run and achieving i’s aim of being sustainable, it was able to make a modest (relatively speaking) repayment to him last year.
a modest repayment from cash we had lying around ... that would pay for the new stand at palace

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Ground - its our ground, we own it, and yes it needs a bit of modernisation, but I'd rather that than some soulless bowl on the edge of town
Squad - 2-3 players that would make your best 15 is subjective, as I would say maybe only 2-3 would make our best 15
Owner - Parish is the owner as far as I am concerned. We have 3 others, but SP has the final say, which is why textor wants out. I'd say he is at least as good an owner as Bloom
Strategy - consistently in the top 10, remind me where you finished last season? I dont think you sell when you are ready, you sell when the player has a striop and demands to leave
As I said, different answers depending on who you support, so definitely subjective
I've generally found eaglesdan to be a reasonable poster on here but I have to say he is seeing with VERY tinted specs if he thinks Selhurst is even remotley close to being equal to the Amex .
We finished one point and one place behind them after they finished playing 3 or 4 teams who weren't only on the beach, but building sandcastles, whist we had half the squad out for a third of the season. Their start to this season is more their actual form than the end to last season was

They may have a strategy of consistent top ten, but they have managed it once, in all the time they have been in the Premier league whereas we have done it twice in about half the time

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Quite how you can compare the two 'owners' is interesting. One is a true owner, doesn't take a salary from the club, brings a model for seeking players and management that is the envy of the rest of the PL and has invested 100's of millions of his own money. The other...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
To be fair to the Palace guy, Selhurst is a better ground than the Amex if you’re absolutely GAGGING for a Sainsbury’s meal deal

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
"Soulless bowl on the edge of town" is the lamest insult I have heard from people who know what our journey has been.

I know quite a few level-headed decent Palace fans.
But all of them have become accustomed to thinking of us as a poor relation over the years.
They have been able to patronise our recent rise, safe in the knowledge that the have done it first and for longer.

The last 2 seasons have changed that perspective.
They have started to become a lot more petty minded about the rivalry (more like me).

A couple of them bit hard on the finishing above us last season.
They also referred to our Europa league exit as "the wheels coming off".

The Glasner appointment and run of results last season, got them a bit excited.
Reaffirmed there idea that the Status quo was about to be restored.....

Let's see.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Transfermarkt's valuations tend towards the low side - (Eze £50m - Pedro £40m)
They have our current squad valued at £100m more than yours.

That does not include players out on loan.

We have the likes of Buanonotte/Sarmiento/Barco out on loan., because we can't guarantee them enough minutes. and are still developing.
You're shipping out Edouard, because he's shit.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
"Soulless bowl on the edge of town" is the lamest insult I have heard from people who know what our journey has been.

I know quite a few level-headed decent Palace fans.
But all of them have become accustomed to thinking of us as a poor relation over the years.
They have been able to patronise our recent rise, safe in the knowledge that the have done it first and for longer.

The last 2 seasons have changed that perspective.
They have started to become a lot more petty minded about the rivalry (more like me).

A couple of them bit hard on the finishing above us last season.
They also referred to our Europa league exit as "the wheels coming off".

The Glasner appointment and run of results last season, got them a bit excited.
Reaffirmed there idea that the Status quo was about to be restored.....

Let's see.
If Roma away was the wheels coming off, Palace are still getting around to inventing the wheel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here