Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Owen to Brighton 5/6 on Skybet

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
The odds are pretty indicative that this could well happen. I am sure Michael could get better financial offers but the club is on the up with a new stadium. I also feel the important factor is that Gus likes the team to play passing, on the ground football which is the style to which one would think Michael is most suited. Michael does not have many years left now and this is perhaps one last chance for him to become involved with a success story.

Michael comes over as articulate and modest. Personality wise he would seem to be Gus's style of player.

It all makes for interesting times. I am sure though there are better bets at those odds..

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I am perplexed by why the odds are so short - I mean, really, WHO would put money on Brighton signing Michael Owen? And for the odds to be this short and to have stayed this short for a couple of weeks now can't just be explained by a few loons lumping on because they read something on here. I still think it's unlikely, but I'm beginning to think there may be some substance to it all.

My thoughts entirely. However unlikely it may seem, someone, somewhere simply must be putting fairly large wedges on him signing or surely the odds would not have come that short. I don't personally think he'll sign, but there's a definite nagging feeling.......

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Because some idiots keep lumping on. Fool and his money, eh.

Do you not understand how bookies work? If it was just "fools keeping lumping on" and the experts think it's never gonna happen, they UP the odds to rake in cash from more idiots (simple maths, higher odds mean more people bet).

For the odds to be THAT low they're actively trying to discourage betting on it, that means THEY think it's high risk for them.

Personally, I STILL can't see it, but let's not be so naive as to think bookies are daft. They's be skint if they were.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
I agree it's very unlikely - but, there MIGHT be one posssible reason. Mnay footballers, as well as loving the money, love playing football, and the more intelligent ones realise that one day they ain't gonna be playing any more. If Michael Owen realises he's not going to be able to play in the Prem any longer (he's not getting any quicker!), he MIGHT just decide that another couple of seasons at a lower level is better than just stopping playing. £6.5K a week isn't going to kill him - I'm sure he could rub along on that.

Having said that, I still don't think it's very likely he'll come down here.

...and of course a lot of retired footballers who love the game move on to management afterwards. If he's looking to that, then working under Gus, who is doing things diffrerently to most other people could be a valuable experience.

Ees complicated.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
My thoughts entirely. However unlikely it may seem, someone, somewhere simply must be putting fairly large wedges on him signing or surely the odds would not have come that short. I don't personally think he'll sign, but there's a definite nagging feeling.......

I agree. It was a bit of a joke at first but someone must have put a fair amount of money on it at some point so who knows. Would be incredible if true but realistically I still can't see it happen. Imagine what NSC would be like if he did sign!

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
What if he fancied his chances and took on the mighty lizard in a game of poker. The stakes were high and each of them thought they had the upper hand. Owen puts in three queens. Tony bloom slams down four aces and history is made. Michael Owen has lost everything. The housed, the horses, the cars and the bars. Tony says come play for us and I'll forget the wager. Michael feels this is the only way forward, so joins the Gus bus. Well how else do you explain it..

Now THAT made me LOL. Be great if it were true...

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
i think there is a little more in this than you people think, I mean Tony Bloom and Owen are really good friends from the gambling business they were 100% at the Grand that last time and tbh i would not be shocked if it happened.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I would imagine betting odds are like shares in that the less activity there is the bigger effect trades make to prices. I would think only a handful of bets have been made in Owen going anywhere and therefore two or three bets on him coming here is likely to skew the odds. Let's face betting on Owens next club us hardly going to be a big market.

I'm tempted to offer bets myself as anyone who thinks this will happen is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Do you not understand how bookies work? If it was just "fools keeping lumping on" and the experts think it's never gonna happen, they UP the odds to rake in cash from more idiots (simple maths, higher odds mean more people bet).

For the odds to be THAT low they're actively trying to discourage betting on it, that means THEY think it's high risk for them.
That's not how bookies work. Bookies shorten odds when there's money on, they arrange their odds so they win no matter what the result. Their experts may feel confident it's never going to happen, but they don't take the risk on any bets like these (ie, those bets where their can be people 'in the know', rather than bets that depend on a sporting result).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
i think there is a little more in this than you people think, I mean Tony Bloom and Owen are really good friends from the gambling business they were 100% at the Grand that last time and tbh i would not be shocked if it happened.
If Bloom and Owen were not friends and they were at the Grand together, then we'd have to ask what were they doing, so a deal could be on. But the fact they are friends suggests that they were at the Grand together because.. (wait for it) they're firends!

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
If Bloom and Owen were not friends and they were at the Grand together, then we'd have to ask what were they doing, so a deal could be on. But the fact they are friends suggests that they were at the Grand together because.. (wait for it) they're firends!

but you dont think theres a little more in it? if they were just friends they could pick up a phone, hes not gonna drive down 3 - 4 hours from Manchester for a coffee is he? surely you have to think there is a little more in it, maybe not about us maybe it could have been there business but it would not just be friends.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain

Personally, I STILL can't see it, but let's not be so naive as to think bookies are daft. They's be skint if they were.

Thats my take on it, but it will still have some influence from money being put on, as Triggaaar explains below.

That's not how bookies work. Bookies shorten odds when there's money on, they arrange their odds so they win no matter what the result. Their experts may feel confident it's never going to happen, but they don't take the risk on any bets like these (ie, those bets where their can be people 'in the know', rather than bets that depend on a sporting result).

However, for them to be offering such derisery odds on Owen to Brighton, then offer in comparison HUGE odds for everyone else does suggest that someone knows something, otherwise they are leaving themselves open to a small arse kicking when a few people stick a couple of hundred each on him signing for Villa or whoever at 10-1. I know if their is a rush on Villa for example then they will tighten the odds sharpish, but it wont be immediate so like i say they are leaving themselves wide open.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
However, for them to be offering such derisery odds on Owen to Brighton, then offer in comparison HUGE odds for everyone else does suggest that someone knows something, otherwise they are leaving themselves open to a small arse kicking when a few people stick a couple of hundred each on him signing for Villa or whoever at 10-1. I know if their is a rush on Villa for example then they will tighten the odds sharpish, but it wont be immediate so like i say they are leaving themselves wide open.

That might be true, but bookies are not stupid and the maximum bet allowed on Villa is currently £20!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I would imagine betting odds are like shares in that the less activity there is the bigger effect trades make to prices. I would think only a handful of bets have been made in Owen going anywhere and therefore two or three bets on him coming here is likely to skew the odds. Let's face betting on Owens next club us hardly going to be a big market.

I'm tempted to offer bets myself as anyone who thinks this will happen is living in cloud cuckoo land.

This is the correct answer. There won't be much going on this so even a small amount of money will skew the odds.

Bookies don't like having a large liability on these type of markets because anyone with some insider knowledge can just walk in and rape them

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I agree it's very unlikely - but, there MIGHT be one posssible reason. Mnay footballers, as well as loving the money, love playing football, and the more intelligent ones realise that one day they ain't gonna be playing any more. If Michael Owen realises he's not going to be able to play in the Prem any longer (he's not getting any quicker!), he MIGHT just decide that another couple of seasons at a lower level is better than just stopping playing. £6.5K a week isn't going to kill him - I'm sure he could rub along on that.

Having said that, I still don't think it's very likely he'll come down here.

Having watched Steve Claridge make a complete tool of himself playing for Brentford a few seasons ago in his "farewell tour" of the lower leagues, I hope Owen makes a better fist of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here