Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Owen to Brighton 5/6 on Skybet

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I agree it's very unlikely - but, there MIGHT be one posssible reason. Mnay footballers, as well as loving the money, love playing football, and the more intelligent ones realise that one day they ain't gonna be playing any more. If Michael Owen realises he's not going to be able to play in the Prem any longer (he's not getting any quicker!), he MIGHT just decide that another couple of seasons at a lower level is better than just stopping playing. £6.5K a week isn't going to kill him - I'm sure he could rub along on that.

Having said that, I still don't think it's very likely he'll come down here.

Have to say I am rather non plus on this whole Michael Owen thing... however isn't Robbie Fowler the second or third richest footballer still playing and yet he has played for Cardiff and gone to Oz, as far as I know to play a bit of footie? I could be wrong so don't shoot me down. But if Mr Fowler can step down, play for less and still coin it in from his property and horsie businesses, why can't Mr Owen? Just wondered like?

Barber man

Feb 20, 2011
What if he fancied his chances and took on the mighty lizard in a game of poker. The stakes were high and each of them thought they had the upper hand. Owen puts in three queens. Tony bloom slams down four aces and history is made. Michael Owen has lost everything. The housed, the horses, the cars and the bars. Tony says come play for us and I'll forget the wager. Michael feels this is the only way forward, so joins the Gus bus. Well how else do you explain it..

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Wherever he goes he doesn't need the money - so why not come down and be part of something potentially special in a great city to live in for a couple of years?

There's got to be worse ways to spend the twilight of a successful career - better than warming an admittedly posh Recaro-seated bench at Old Trafford while the precious last few months of your potential playing career ebb away?

That said, I'll believe it when I see it!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
when he could sit on his arse and earn 4 times as much in interest alone.......

He would still be earning that interest though. You don't forego it because you have signed for Brighton.

Btw, I'm not saying it'll happen, I think it's a ludicrous rumour, but I honestly don't think the money is the reason, as - like someone has said about Fowler - Owen doesn't need to earn more money from playing.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I am perplexed by why the odds are so short - I mean, really, WHO would put money on Brighton signing Michael Owen? And for the odds to be this short and to have stayed this short for a couple of weeks now can't just be explained by a few loons lumping on because they read something on here. I still think it's unlikely, but I'm beginning to think there may be some substance to it all.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
It does seem like a fantasy football signing. But, could a deal have been offered whereby Owen is on a 'reasonable' wage and a 'massive' bonus if his contribution on the field gets us to the promised land?

Also a top class signing could convince others that we are not here to make up the numbers, but are going to be a real force in the Championship.

He's sending out signals that he would like to stay at Man U, but if Fergie gives him the shove then who knows :shrug:

If he has a friendship with Tony Bloom that can only help us.

Having said all that, it's probably all just bullshit! :lol:

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
All the time it was odds against, it was a nice dream but unlikely to happen. The fact that it's now odds on makes it likely that someone in the know has lumped on and it's a stronger possibility.

The wages quoted earlier in this thread of £6.5k pw are probably irrelevant in this case. If MO came in at, say £10k or £20k per week, I can't imagine Barnes or Bennett, etc kicking off as they'd understand his worth to the team and how much would Barnes improve by learning off him?

I'd be interested to hear Mr Burns' views on this as, if I recall, he was in the know back in Jan when we nearly got Robbie Keane/Andros Townsend(?). I believe that was going to be funded separately from Gus' budget by a third party (ie, Norman Cook) and the chances are the funds that were available then are still there now. If so, wages will be less of an issue if there's third party 'sponsorship' and may not have any bearing on the budget TB has set Gus.

To those who still bang on about us not being able to afford Glenn Money's demands so we won't be able to afford MO, we could but chose not to as Gus and TB had set a limit on what they thought he was worth. 3rd party sponsorship of MO would mean we could pay MO whatever he wanted.

If the skybet thing is to be believed, 5/4 to 5/6 is a hefty move and would indicate that something is about to happen fairly soon. Reckon we'll know one way or the other by this time next week.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
"The only reason Michael Owen will be coming to Brighton is if he's looking after my racehorses". - Tony Bloom. (Quote I've heard)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Official update:

I've been told by my sanity that you're all fuckwits.
Are people still thinking this is just a silly rumour. This is seriously on the cards. If Owen leaves Manure then there is a massive chance of seeing him in the stripes next season. Owen wants it, Bloom wants it. Question is....does Gus??
I take it you're just fishing?

Tony (feeling incredibly smug at coup of the century) 'So Gus, we're moving into the Championship without a proven goalscorer at that level - how would you like Michael Owen, 4th highest goalscorer of all time?'
(waits for overjoyed Gus to dance)
Gus 'Well ees complicated. Michael has never played in the Championship'

We have a lovely new stadium that must be quite attractive to some Championship level players, but not to people any where near Owen's ability. It's bad enough that some of you think there's any truth in this joke of a rumour, but that some of you have actually put money on it - oh dear.
Because some idiots keep lumping on. Fool and his money, eh.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Official update:

I've been told by my sanity that you're all fuckwits.
I take it you're just fishing?

Tony (feeling incredibly smug at coup of the century) 'So Gus, we're moving into the Championship without a proven goalscorer at that level - how would you like Michael Owen, 4th highest goalscorer of all time?'
(waits for overjoyed Gus to dance)
Gus 'Well ees complicated. Michael has never played in the Championship'

We have a lovely new stadium that must be quite attractive to some Championship level players, but not to people any where near Owen's ability. It's bad enough that some of you think there's any truth in this joke of a rumour, but that some of you have actually put money on it - oh dear.

As much as I think it's still a very long shot indeed, wouldn't it be funny if it happened, and then smug posts like this could be bounced ad infinitum.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As much as I think it's still a very long shot indeed, wouldn't it be funny if it happened, and then smug posts like this could be bounced in finitum.
I'd be fine with that, I'd even put it in my signature. It's not something I'll ever regret saying. It's like me saying you're an idiot if you think I've got the winning lottery ticket.

D

Deleted User X18H

"The only reason Michael Owen will be coming to Brighton is if he's looking after my racehorses". - Tony Bloom. (Quote I've heard)

Two things, one, why would Owen look after Blooms horses , he's not a head lad. Two, Tony Bloom is unlikely to have many runners at Brighton, bigger fish and all that.

Oh yeah 3 , this type of intense rumour happened with Adam Virgo a few years ago!!

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And for the odds to be this short and to have stayed this short for a couple of weeks now can't just be explained by a few loons lumping on because they read something on here.

yes it can. once the bets are made they arent unmade, if no one is betting on other options the book wont shift away.

12/1 for him to go to Villa could be worth a cheeky fiver.

this is very good value and highlights how stupid the book looks. Leicester and QPR at 9/1 this morning seem far better options too. Owen wants to play at the top level and have a chance (if only that) of playing for England again. i cant see how we would be ahead of half the Premiership.

i dont know how to drive Betfair to see whats happening on this market there, but im inclinded to believe this is a setup with some one putting some £50, £100 bets on the high street then laying like mad on betfair. right now we dont even know if he's even leaving ManU...

Last edited:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Am I right in thinking that the bookies have now stopped taking bets on Owen joining us?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here