Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our rivalry with Palace; it's a bit odd, apparently!

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I don't really give a f*** what the new generation of right on Brighton followers think.
I f***ing hate Palace; always have done, always will do. You can call me immature, pathetic, whatever you want really. You had to be there in the 70's & 80's to understand it.
Also, I couldn't really give a toss what Palace think of us.

Spot on, we may not have played palace often over the last 20 years but once the new ground is up we'll be on a level playing field & will soon resume beating the wankers regularly.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I an genuinely surprised by some of the posts on here, surely you can't be a Brighton supporter and not loathe Palace? I regard myself as a very placid, level headed and reasonably responsible person but I can't abide anything to do with their club.

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
Do I hate Palace, yes and no. Yes in the sense that I want them to lose every match, see Simon Jordan in the NOTW in a tryst with Dale Winton and Judith Chalmers, and would LOVE IT ((c) k.keegan) if they were relegated. I hate Palace the institution, just as they do (and should do) hate us.

On an individual fan base they're fine, I have far more respect for a Palace fan such as Brighton Rock, Paulie and the others who support their local team, know the history of the club and rivalry and would happily spend a few hours in the pub with them reminiscing about the good (bad) old days. They are proper football fans, not the plastic Premiershite armchair wannabes who have no connection with community, locality and everything a football team should represent.

An Albion win today and Palace being turned over would give me a semi....at least.

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
This seems to be a subject being discussed in both camps. I was talking with a Palace fan the other day who when I revealed my colours wondered why the rivalry started in the 70's and that there was nothing before.He had been reading up about their team of the seventies Sansom Cannon Taylor Hinshelwood etc.. I happily filled him in about the Ron Challis episode and the cup games in the seventies and the fact that it was at a palace game that the seagulls chant in the north stand was born retorting the palace fans eagles chant in the north east corner of the goldstone.

The creation of the chant " seagulls " has popularly been attributed to Lee Philips, in a West Street pub, on Christmas Eve 1975. ( source : SEAGULLS! The Story of Brighton & Hove Albion F.C. by Tim Carder and Roger Harris )
They go on to say that it rapidly caught on with other supporters, coming into its own at the big clash with Palace on 24/2/76 ( won 2-0...crowd 33,300 )
In 1977, the club badge was officially changed and the " Dolphins " became the " Seagulls "
p.s If Lee Philips is a contributor to NSC or anyone knows him...how about getting the story straight from the ' horses mouth ' ( no offence Lee ! ) and setting history right.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Do I hate Palace, yes and no. Yes in the sense that I want them to lose every match, see Simon Jordan in the NOTW in a tryst with Dale Winton and Judith Chalmers, and would LOVE IT ((c) k.keegan) if they were relegated. I hate Palace the institution, just as they do (and should do) hate us.

On an individual fan base they're fine, I have far more respect for a Palace fan such as Brighton Rock, Paulie and the others who support their local team, know the history of the club and rivalry and would happily spend a few hours in the pub with them reminiscing about the good (bad) old days. They are proper football fans, not the plastic Premiershite armchair wannabes who have no connection with community, locality and everything a football team should represent.

An Albion win today and Palace being turned over would give me a semi....at least.

Wise words. :clap:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I an genuinely surprised by some of the posts on here, surely you can't be a Brighton supporter and not loathe Palace? I regard myself as a very placid, level headed and reasonably responsible person but I can't abide anything to do with their club.

Yes you can, Been a Brighton supporter since birth through the 70'80' and on till current day.
And i do not hate Palace. As said on many many threads of this same topic.
I see them as a footballing rival, and being the closest than want to beat them more than same a team 'up north'. but hate is a very powerful emotion.
If they win i don't i dont get downbeat, nor if they lose i dont get elated.

Ae where your genuinely surprised by some of the posts on here for supporter not hating Palace,

I'm genuinely surprised by some of the posts on here showing this hated for them, i don't get it.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
iv been brighton since i was about 9 and so missed the 70's rivalry etc but the sheer intensity in and outside the ground when we lost 5-0 and then the celebrations when we won 1-0 was something special and so i think the rivalry will continue long into the future! as for some of the meeting in london their always fun:D

Joe Nobody

Dec 27, 2008
Hove
The rivalry started between the fans in 1974. Palace had dropped from the first div to the third & after years of being bullied by London clubs obviously thought Brighton was a push-over. A few hundred went in the North Stand about one o'clock. By 3 the crowd was 26,000 and I have never seen such a hostile Brighton crowd. ThE Palace fans were under constant attack during the game and by 5 o'clock they had melted away completely. This game started the rivalry and they never tried going in the North Stand again.

Over the next few years the rivalry developed on the pitch and we witnessed some fantastic games.

From Brighton's point of view it is a great rivalry. We play them as underdogs. Any defeat (5-0) is not unexpected and any Victory is so sweet.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I find myself in total agreement with the sentiments expressed above:thumbsup:

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
There was plenty of empirical evidence of the blind hatred that is in rude health when last we played up at Selhurst. The tales are passed down in a form of oral history via the songs/web sites/car stickers etc and so the discourse is repeated.

They would like to think of themselves as above and beyond us but the truth is both teams supporters attach such strong loathing that it is still seems to me to be pretty well undiluted (Charlton do also have a GENUINE hatred of them too).

I take your point that if the Albion continue in free fall and we remain at least one division apart then unless we draw one another in the cup it is unlikely we will be playing them too often and thus the opportunity to actually engage the enemy will be at a premium. However, can you imagine the types coming out of the woodwork once we did once again play them. The simmering/repressed loathing would need very little encouragement to display itself and the longer it took to come to the fore would make it that more explosive.

We are reminded of the swine every time we journey to Victoria, we pass their station we sight there ground and we may even see them scutttling around Victoria station itself. They are part of our mental geography and as such under our skin.

Top post Tim.....and as well written as that Daily Mail journo's wasn't!!! Very poetically put fella. :thumbsup::clap:

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea

:clap:

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
i think the palace thing is great -

the other week at work they put a who's who up on our intranet system for the 130 people at my place of work.

everybody has a picture and a little blurb about what they do, literally 2 sentences.

turns out everybody just wrote about their boring jobs, i of course put some self-depracating albion comment on mine and low and behold it turns out there's one more football fan in the building - a bloke had written a similar comment about his rubbish football team, except replaced brighton with palace!

i had no idea, but it was great to meet him and we often catch up for a bit of abuse about our teams inadaquecies.

oh, i work in manchester by the way - so the chances of having a palace fan colleague are slim to say the least.

he has bought his boy up palace, even though he's born and raised manc, and has - like all fathers should - in built a healthy hatred of the seaweed.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm not sure how you can be a Brighton fan and like Man United although some on here would beg to differ.

I think its great being considered rivals with palace at this moment, they can say how crap we are down here and we can say how crap they are up there with a nice big gap inbetween us, builds up the hatred and longing to murder eachover at football at the next given opportunity.

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008
Well said Timothy!

More to the point there have still been occasions where it has kicked off at Victoria etc when Palarse have been waiting for BHA and vice versa, in fact (I understand!) BHA were waiting for them at Paddington recently when we came back from Swindon and they were returning from Bristol City!!

A few will remember The Crescent pub in EC just a few seasons ago when the story of the violence was splashed across the front page of The Arsegas - vivid testimony to the fact that a bitter hatred still exists!!
palace never showed up at paddington i can assure you that bluenose, but apparantly a few of their lads travelled down in cars to bristol :lolol:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Will it though. When a team has been superior to the other for 2 decades the old supporters who remembred the rivalry will die off and the new fans, well the handful of new fans will not know the rivalry even existed if we never play them so it will die off in time and is doing so already. Infact its only us who keep the rivalry going to CPFC we are an irrelevance hence the fact its all rather pathetic and cringeworthy on our part now as we are NO rival to CPFC.
Don't agree with you there , I know quite a few palace fans and they get pissed off with charlton trying to create a rivalry that doesn't really exist, for them the rivalry between brighton and palace is alive and well, what tends to get overlooked is the way the catchment areas overlap in mid sussex, perhaps we could have some input from sj love monkey ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here