Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our rivalry with Palace; it's a bit odd, apparently!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't bother much about the Albion Palace rivalry myself. It wasn't even on the radar before 1979, when it was largely blown up by the tabloid press, particularly the S*n - bit like the mods and rockers thing was the decade before. Of course, it was enthusiastically taken up by the young chavs (known as skinheads in those days, of course) on both sides, but it still feels like a rather contrived rivalry to me.
If we beat Palace, good, that's three points; that's all it is for me.
I'd far rather beat the only two teams we've never beaten in the league (apart from a few new teams in League 2 we've never played yet) - that'll be Yeovil today, please, and Chelsea on the opening day at Falmer!

I dont think it was/is contrived. I have watching Brighton from 77 onwards and recall the rivalry. My take on it is that we are geographically close, we seemed to be in the same divisions a lot and we played each other on the traditional bank holiday derby days i.e. Boxing Day and Easter. Some games were classic and we also we were often vying for promotion together. All this compounded to create the rivalry. This is a little boy's version of the events.

I do feel the rivalry has dicipated over the years though. I dont tend to hear as many anti-Palace songs at games. I guess I prefer it if they loose but until I started working with a Palace fan I rarely looked for their results. Not playing each other for long periods combined with new generation(s) of supporters has clearly affected this. But, as was proved a few years back the minute we next play each other the tin hats will be needed.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
indeed my first away game was Palace in about 1974/75 (can't remember the exact year but it was just before the Mullery era) and there were hardly any Brighton fans there. We won 1-0 BTW.

Lets get it right. It was 75/76. There were a good number of Albion fans at the game but this was before away fans were penned together. I remember that there was an altercation after the game.

The needle between BHA and them probably started on the first day of the previous season when the Albion beat Croydon 1-0 in front of 26,000.

Jamon Jamon

Mar 25, 2008
what's wrong with using the term 'hate'? I hate palace, i hate their ground I hate their Kit I hate their badge I hate them winning I hate hearing them sing I hate their name, however one of my best friends supports 'the scum' and he's one of the nicest people i've ever met, he's friends who also support the scum are also good lads who really know their football. It's a rivalry, that's all, all good clubs should have one. For those who don't see palace as a rival, who do you see? Southend? Crawley? Worthing?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here