Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our rivalry with Palace; it's a bit odd, apparently!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Did you not go to the 1-0 at Selhurst US? If you did, how can you not see that the rivalry is still there (in spades). If you didn't, then believe me it still exists.

Football is a tribal, Palace are the enemy....probably sad, but true.

brightonbluenose

May 6, 2006
It is not possible to apply logic and rationality to something as subjectively emotionally charged as love/hatred. Defining it is impossible. It exists within the hearts and minds of both club's supporters and even the players themselves will be aware of the rivalry. For some of us the passing of East Croyden station en route to and from Victoria in the 1980's meant 'running the gaunlet' of the Palace/Spurs crew who used to be on the platform waiting and this would result in 'fight or flight'. So it did not matter that the two teams were not playing each other that frequently as 'clashes' occured in other environments; railway carriages, Victoria station and even other matches (see Spurs v Man United)

London teams like Orient, South Coast rivals such as Pompey and the odd curve ball such as Chesterfield/Swindon will ebb and flow with various degress of intensity, but the palace v albion one is forever etched and will run and run ad infinitum. And quite right too!!!!!

Well said Timothy!

More to the point there have still been occasions where it has kicked off at Victoria etc when Palarse have been waiting for BHA and vice versa, in fact (I understand!) BHA were waiting for them at Paddington recently when we came back from Swindon and they were returning from Bristol City!!

A few will remember The Crescent pub in EC just a few seasons ago when the story of the violence was splashed across the front page of The Arsegas - vivid testimony to the fact that a bitter hatred still exists!!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Its difficult to have a rivalry with a team who have been consistantly better and bigger than us for about 19 seasons out of the last 20. A rivalry with a game once every 5 years. I think not. Infact its all a bit embarrassing quite frankly now. The mid / late 70's fair enough we were on an unstoppable march to the top division with 30000 plus crowds, now as we on an unstoppable march to the 4th division meaning CPFC will be 2 leagues above us we should just shut up frankly and not embarrass ourselves.

CPFC call us Seaweed and at the moment thats exactly what we are.

This is frankly embarrassing, but i agree with US 100% on this one.
For a change he speaks rationally.

For albion supporters to bang on how they hate palace etc etc is pathetic.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Did you not go to the 1-0 at Selhurst US? If you did, how can you not see that the rivalry is still there (in spades). If you didn't, then believe me it still exists.

Football is a tribal, Palace are the enemy....probably sad, but true.

yes i agree there was a more than just a few old bill on duty that night, and if i recall a pub got turned over,and when we scored palace scum ran onto the pitch towards us..... we walked past older palace fans on the way out with there kids being held back by the old bill,and there was pure hate directed towards us........mind you we did just win in there manor....Oh sooo good.:yahoo:

Maybe after the work on the REMF where without CPFC fans we would not have raised over £ 55000 I have a different opinion of them.
But you weren't at Selhurst Park for the Palace v Norwich City game when half a dozen of us went up there (in the stripes) to promote an early REMF game.

Sure, we were welcomed by the Seagulleater and his chums in the Woolpack and the Club gave us free tickets, but the sound of the entire Holmesdale End chanting abuse at just six fans from Brighton will live with me forever. The rivalry is special. It's a genuine football "hatred". Long may it live.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
There is one line in that article which I 100% agree with, and it's this one:

Every true football fan hates Leeds United

As for Palace, I'm probably not old enough to appreciate the true meaning of the rivalry, and to an extent I "hate" Palace because that's what I, as a Brighton fan, am 'supposed' to do. That didn't make it hurt any less when they beat us 5-0, and it didn't mean I celebrated any less when McShane scored at Selhurst.

As others have said, it's nice to have a rival, and it's also nice to have a rivalry that has done some good in the name of football in the shape of the annual REMF games.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Have you just edited your avatar that said '' 'We hate Palace' has a ring to it''??

If so you are the biggest bullshitter on here!!

If not I unresevedly apologise!

Apologies accepted.

tim warneford

Mar 3, 2009
Lancaster
Are you suggesting rivalry is dependent on divisional staus? Love and hatred endure beyond such obstacles. Passion whether productive or negative does not simply die, it may be inert for a while but until another team take on the mantle palace will remain the team we love to hate. It is incommensuarble to evaluate emotions with rationality. The animosity that exists will endure despite playing in different leagues. We both have different feelings/emotions but neither can render the other's feeling/emotions invalid as it is just the way you and me actually subjectively feel about a given subject. My theory is that BHA/Palace rivalry will live on, yours that it will and is eroding. only time will tell.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I don't really give a f*** what the new generation of right on Brighton followers think.
I f***ing hate Palace; always have done, always will do. You can call me immature, pathetic, whatever you want really. You had to be there in the 70's & 80's to understand it.
Also, I couldn't really give a toss what Palace think of us.

tim warneford

Mar 3, 2009
Lancaster
I don't really give a f*** what the new generation of right on Brighton followers think.
I f***ing hate Palace; always have done, always will do. You can call me immature, pathetic, whatever you want really. You had to be there in the 70's & 80's to understand it.

Exactly, it is a fact that we detest each other full stop. no apologies no regret and no fuggin surrender either!!! Whilst those of us have a breath in our bodies will pass on down our hatred to our sons and daughters and they in turn will ensure the legacy continues!!! If that is embarrassing to some then tough and if you sport a 'sex pistols handle' then you should be well versed in embarrassing incidents.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Rivalry is not about how often you play eachother thats a fact and i think our rivalry with palace can match any in this country.Our derby has much more passion and atmosphere than most tripe at other derbys.Its not about being 40 0dd miles away because many palace fans live in sussex anyway.

Although its ashame we will be 2 divisions apart next season:mad:

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
My wife's boss is a Palace fan. She asked for a pay rise. He said that he could not give her a pay rise knowing that a Brighton fan might gain pleasure from it :lol:

She did get one in the end

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
But you weren't at Selhurst Park for the Palace v Norwich City game when half a dozen of us went up there (in the stripes) to promote an early REMF game.

Sure, we were welcomed by the Seagulleater and his chums in the Woolpack and the Club gave us free tickets, but the sound of the entire Holmesdale End chanting abuse at just six fans from Brighton will live with me forever. The rivalry is special. It's a genuine football "hatred". Long may it live.

I agree with that 100%.

Football would be a very poor spectacle without rivalries.

All the big clubs have a close rival to gee them up and keep them progressing.

Palace is, geographically, our nearest rival.

Anyone who was at Selhurst for the 1-0 should understand.

Long may it continue.

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
This seems to be a subject being discussed in both camps. I was talking with a Palace fan the other day who when I revealed my colours wondered why the rivalry started in the 70's and that there was nothing before.He had been reading up about their team of the seventies Sansom Cannon Taylor Hinshelwood etc.. I happily filled him in about the Ron Challis episode and the cup games in the seventies and the fact that it was at a palace game that the seagulls chant in the north stand was born retorting the palace fans eagles chant in the north east corner of the goldstone.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

I was there in the 70 & 80's and i don't understand it.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't bother much about the Albion Palace rivalry myself. It wasn't even on the radar before 1979, when it was largely blown up by the tabloid press, particularly the S*n - bit like the mods and rockers thing was the decade before. Of course, it was enthusiastically taken up by the young chavs (known as skinheads in those days, of course) on both sides, but it still feels like a rather contrived rivalry to me.
If we beat Palace, good, that's three points; that's all it is for me.
I'd far rather beat the only two teams we've never beaten in the league (apart from a few new teams in League 2 we've never played yet) - that'll be Yeovil today, please, and Chelsea on the opening day at Falmer!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here