Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Another river of gold today?

Serious chances in...

Women's sprint (Pendleton)
Men's Keirin (Hoy)
Women's Omnium (Trott)
Men's triathlon (both Brownlee brothers)
Team dressage (first going into the final day today)

...and medal shouts in...

Men's high jump (Grabarz)
Men's discus (Okoye)
Men's windsurfing (Dempsey - second going into the final day today)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Men's discus (Okoye)
It was superb being in the stadium yesterday watching him qualify. He had looked absolutely gash in all his previous attempts. Then the women's shot put qualifiers finished, then all the track events, leaving the discus the centre of attention. With some people leaving the stadium thinking the session was pretty much done, he was suddenly centre of attention for the 65,000 still in the stadium, fed off the roar of the crowd and LUZZED an absolute MONSTER and then went balistic. It turns out he's put his law degree on hold for a year and lived a meagre existence just to train for this, and it all came down to that throw.

I'd LOVE it if he managed to snatch a medal.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It was superb being in the stadium yesterday watching him qualify. He had looked absolutely gash in all his previous attempts. Then the women's shot put qualifiers finished, then all the track events, leaving the discus the centre of attention.

I'm still dubious about the winner.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Another 3 boxers with a chance to guarantee themselves with at least a bronze tonight as well, to go with the other 4 we have with at least a bronze. All going well in the boxing ring.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
come on the two yorkshire lads in the tri-athlon...but I fear 5th and 7th

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Another 3 boxers with a chance to guarantee themselves with at least a bronze tonight as well, to go with the other 4 we have with at least a bronze. All going well in the boxing ring.

Ooh this sounds good.

Out of interest, how many medals overall do people think we'll get? Is my £10 at 3/1 for over 70 now looking good?!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
70 is looking a long way off....but can be done

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
yes they said the same about our girlies...I am a pessimist..LOL

I'd disagree on that. Firstly it wasn't 'girlies' it was 'girl' - Helen Jenkins. She was fancied for a medal, but wasn't seen as red hot favourite.

The Brownlee brothers are both considered to be ahead of the rest of the field and the fact there's two of them, gives us double the chance. That said, they train together so if one has got the training wrong, it's likely the other has too.

The triathlon has a few uncontrollables that can come into play, but you'd need some pretty bad luck for both Brownlees to suffer.

(Feel free to call me a twat again.)

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Really?

They were talking about Gold and Silver this morning.

They are favourites but the triathlon is so unpredictable and a relatively unknown always pops up to win it.

Idowu will not be a medal hope tomorrow after failing to qualify from the heats

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Phillips Idowu has crashed out, failing to qualify for the final. Looks like strolling off and doing his own thing has backfired horrendously. Predictably. (sadly)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'll go for 57, a round TEN more than Beijing.

21st at the end of day 4 seems a ruddy long time ago now.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'll go for 57, a round TEN more than Beijing.

21st at the end of day 4 seems a ruddy long time ago now.

I'd say closer to 55 than 50. We're effectively on 44 already with 4 boxing medals already guaranteed and we could pick up 6-8 more today.

No,

55 at best, closer to 50 in reality.

70 is looking a long way off....but can be done

Oh I thought it was gonna be very close to 70! If the Olympics finishes on Sunday I'm thinking 5 a day will see us over 70 and is do-able the rate we're going? WHill had it at 3/1 'advanced odds' from 2/1 before the Olympics started and we've definately exceeded expectations soI thought we'd be close. I also read some article from Guardian or somewhere predicting 90 odd medals based on form / results etc!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Oh I thought it was gonna be very close to 70! If the Olympics finishes on Sunday I'm thinking 5 a day will see us over 70 and is do-able the rate we're going? WHill had it at 3/1 'advanced odds' from 2/1 before the Olympics started and we've definately exceeded expectations soI thought we'd be close. I also read some article from Guardian or somewhere predicting 90 odd medals based on form / results etc!
All sorts of bollocks is written in the press though. I've seen two articles talking about 90 medals, headed "Can we *really* get 90 medals?" or similar, but it was always nonsense. The fact is that we were very competitive in Beijing and even then "only" snaffled 47 medals (19 gold)

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
40 now

Im going for 5 in the boxing

The remaining 3 in the velodrome

1 in the BMX

2 in the horsy dancing

1 in the sailing

1 in the canoeing

And who knows maybe a couple of surprises in the track and field.

55-57 is a reasonable target.

Should we have done better since its a home Olympics? Not sure, but the medal spread across a range of events is pleasing. If our swimmers had done slightly better we may have hit 60+

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here