Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our new academy , waste of money?

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
While eating lunch this afternoon I was pondering our new academy and thinking about some top young players coming of our new production line just like Southampton, Arsenal, Everton and Man Utd and Palace just to name a few .

But then do we really need to spunk £15 million on one and never play our youngsters? We should just spend the money on strengthening the squad to push for the premier and worry about this so called academy at a later date because Gus will never play our talent unless it’s a cup game which he/we know we’ll never win.

The reason I ask is Gus is excited by our new academy being built but our youngsters haven’t a cat in hell of breaking into the first team. Ok Dunk has but only because of elphick and el-abd are injured otherwise Dunk would be like Jake forster caskey being left in the wilderness.

It get’s my back up when you see other teams bedding their youngsters into their first team, ok, 20 minutes here or there but it’s good experience but we don’t, ok dunk only as we’ve no defensive cover. What does it take for our youngsters to get a run out? All midfield injured or our entire first team going down with a bug.

Thoughts please?

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
It's not just an academy, it's our own training facilities - state of the art facilities at that. It's not all about getting promoted to the prem as fast as possible, it's got plenty to do with consolidating what we have ie a solid championship club looking to improve year on year. With the greatest of respect Bigbelly thank god Tony Bloom is in charge and not you.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Thought this for a while. People will say gus knows when JFC is ready, but how will he know if he wont give him a run out. He cant do any worse than our current midfield. I hate to say it but Palace have gone about it in the right way, they give their youngsters the opportunities. We don't. Gus don't like taking risks

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It's not just an academy, it's our own training facilities - state of the art facilities at that. It's not all about getting promoted to the prem as fast as possible, it's got plenty to do with consolidating what we have ie a solid championship club looking to improve year on year. With the greatest of respect Bigbelly thank god Tony Bloom is in charge and not you.

Much sense spoken-any real Brighton fan will be prepared (after 14 years of hell) to wait a little while longer and give things a chance to develop

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
. What does it take for our youngsters to get a run out? ?

When Gus considers that the youngster are ready he will give them the chance as he did with Dunk. He could have easily gone out and signed an old experienced central defender. Having the academy will bring these and many more youngsters on quicker.

Will we have the academy built, as according to a recent rich list TB only has £50m so can he afford to spend £15m of it on the academy:lol:

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
An academy with top class facilities will attract a new breed of youngster.

So having state of the art training facilities will attract top youngsters? Can see it now, I'll go to Brighton’s academy as the grass is nice and lush and has an ice bath unlike Arsenal where they have a top coach.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Palace? Their last 3 best prospects

Ben Watson- Wigan
Victor Moses- Wigan
John Bostock - Spurs reserves (been on loan at Brentford)

Other then that they haven't really produced any wonder kids have they?!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
i can't wait - that big juicy catchment area brimming with potential. and top facilities to realise it

good things come to those that wait,things can be snatched earlier,but don't have the same value-you are to impatient and will not learn

images

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
come back and askt he question in 10 years. how can anyone say youngster wont get a change of breaking into the first team when we have consistantly had youth breaking through and we dont know what will happen with next year or the year after etc.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
You have completely missed the point. The academy will attract the best youngsters in Sussex and possibly parts of Kent and Surrey as well and will make them even better. We don't have that at the moment hence the reason so few youngsters make the grade.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I think the OP is a new wind up merchant

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
come back and askt he question in 10 years. how can anyone say youngster wont get a change of breaking into the first team when we have consistantly had youth breaking through and we dont know what will happen with next year or the year after etc.

Barry-Hammond-Virgo-Harding

ok not wonder kids

& still playing at league level,whilst produced at Gillingham & Withdean

All four had combined fee/compensation nearing £3 million pounds....yep it's a waste of money this long term thinking.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Palace? Their last 3 best prospects

Ben Watson- Wigan
Victor Moses- Wigan
John Bostock - Spurs reserves (been on loan at Brentford)

Other then that they haven't really produced any wonder kids have they?!

To their credit they have 3 youngsters coming through and playing for the first team at the moment so a little too early to say anything negative about their academy.

If we had an academy would Barry and Standing have been allowed to leave?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
So having state of the art training facilities will attract top youngsters? Can see it now, I'll go to Brighton’s academy as the grass is nice and lush and has an ice bath unlike Arsenal where they have a top coach.

Well, then you employ better coaches?

Not exactly rocket science.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
To their credit they have 3 youngsters coming through and playing for the first team at the moment so a little too early to say anything negative about their academy.

Standing! of course,forgot him

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
Thought this for a while. People will say gus knows when JFC is ready, but how will he know if he wont give him a run out. He cant do any worse than our current midfield. I hate to say it but Palace have gone about it in the right way, they give their youngsters the opportunities. We don't. Gus don't like taking risks

Gus took the risk with him at stoke last season and jake didn't look out of place and thought he held his own very well and by reports that I've read he's done especially well for England's under 17's. Most clubs would play their their youngsters more if they are performing at international level but not Gus.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A

Fair comment, I think that Zaha will flop personally.

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
You have completely missed the point. The academy will attract the best youngsters in Sussex and possibly parts of Kent and Surrey as well and will make them even better. We don't have that at the moment hence the reason so few youngsters make the grade.

What with Chelsea Spurs and Arsenal making inroads into Sussex schools to tap up the local talent. Who would the youngster choose, us or them?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here