Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our mentality's all wrong - even the supporters

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I'm too quick, on many fronts, mate ;)

I know you were talking about the fans, but you were also commenting on the players' mentality.

I commented on Huddersfield because I listened to it on the radio and I was picking out positives about the way the team were playing. Was there in a virtual kind of way.

If you read my last post, I DO rate you as a top Albion fan who supports the club through thick and thin, no matter what the results. And I always will, mate.

But my rose-tinted will always be rose-tinted, I'm afraid. You'll just have to put up with it :ascarf:

No you've gone to far this time ELS. You've never lent me your famous rose tinted glasses, despite my requests. So you're wrong. And I'm not. :tantrum:

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Yes the mentality is wrong, you only have to look at this website pre season when it was full of threads about walking the league and how long before we are bigger than palace threads.

Yes but they were probably from people with the opposite extreme view about sacking the Manager now. Some fans had their feet on the ground then and still have now. We were never going to walk the league and we won't get relegated, probably a mid table finish.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
My analysis is not flawed.
Winning the World Cup did not save Sir Alf Ramsey from the chop.
Nine :eek:clubs have already changed their managers since the start of the season.
9. Crewe Alexandra
8. Darlington
7. Rotherham United
6. Northampton Town
5. Lincoln City
4. Barnsley
3. Colchester United
2. Norwich City
1. Southampton

ferguson it is generally agreed that he was one game away from the sack and that had mark Robbins not scored a late equalier in a league cup game at oxford utd, he would have been sacked.

I SAVED FERGUSON FROM SACK; Now Robins has to rescue his own career.(Sport)
The People (London, England) | January 4, 1998| Bates, Steve | COPYRIGHT 1998 MGN LTD. This material is published under license from the publisher through the Gale Group, Farmington Hills, Michigan. All inquiries regarding rights should be directed to the Gale Group. (Hide copyright information) Copyright

Wenger - has not won a trophy since 2004-5.

So what are you saying ....

That Wenger should now and Ferguson should of then got the sack ???

My point was that at what stage should you gauge a managers ability by results ?

You seem more considered now than your earlier point.

And yes your analysis is not only flawed, it is contridictory too !!!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
If it wasnt for Slade we would already be in league 2. Some people have short memories.

My memory is so short i will just have to look at the table again quick, to remind myself where we are in league and think of our two great cup runs, so far this season!!!!!!!!Last season is ancient history ffs, why do people keep going on about last season, Slade got rid of half the players that had that amazing run, its gone, history, move on!!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I content myself by reflecting on the facts:

- We're a considerably better side than last year;
- There have been some massive changes in the squad, and it's taking time for the team to gel;
- We're playing better football than last season;
- we've been pretty unlucky in some games;
- We've got an owner who has some money (at long last);
- We have a 22,500 seater stadium being built before our very eyes.

It would be nice to have a few more points, but I'm not that depressed.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fairly indifferent now.

Think loss of mojo may be directly linked to the Albion's survival as a funded club now being assured, so far as any of us can see. There was a massive off-field fight to be won there, and it was won. Reckon most on here played some part in that.

Now its just down to grumbling about on-field matters. Same as every other club really. Seems we now have a level playing field. OK, we're not very good, but heigh-ho, we'll come good again with a suitable injection of cash.

The biggest battle has been won.

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
My memory is so short i will just have to look at the table again quick, to remind myself where we are in league and think of our two great cup runs, so far this season!!!!!!!!Last season is ancient history ffs, why do people keep going on about last season, Slade got rid of half the players that had that amazing run, its gone, history, move on!!

Still in league one though and not league two arent we. TEN games into the season for christ's sake. God help us if Slade is given another ten games to turn things round or some people are going to kill themselves by the sounds of it

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Think the problem is that deep down we can't really risk getting rid of Slade. If he went. Got in another manager that turn out to be shit then what.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
15,000/16,000 gates at Falmer, are you having a laugh? with a team in Div1,possibly Div2 and unable to win a home game and of course increased ticket prices.
Think about it!

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Can't be bothered to start new threads when old ones still seem appropriate So....:bounce:

I still think Slade has time to pull it around but I sincerely hope some of those who were so quick to criticise/abuse those expressing concerns are starting to appreciate where we were coming from. Or are we still gelling, refs being unfair after another defeat and another red card?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have not been to a game therefore am not in a position to comment.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Can't be bothered to start new threads when old ones still seem appropriate So....:bounce:

I still think Slade has time to pull it around but I sincerely hope some of those who were so quick to criticise/abuse those expressing concerns are starting to appreciate where we were coming from. Or are we still gelling, refs being unfair after another defeat and another red card?

Bouncing your own threads, Portly?! :bigwave:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I have not been to a game therefore am not in a position to comment.

Funny how those that do have suddenly stopped giving you grief eh US? Wonder if any will have the balls to apologise

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Bouncing your own threads, Portly?! :bigwave:

Indeed, as said, pointless starting new ones when it's ground-hog day and I've just got back from w/e away. Though there seems to be a lot less abuse towards anyone raising doubts about our team's progress....it was a crime to do so a fortnight ago remember. That or some of us had legitimate concerns perhaps?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Funny how those that do have suddenly stopped giving you grief eh US? Wonder if any will have the balls to apologise

We won't ever know if getting rid of slade is the right decision, given that we've played some good football, showing that he can get th team playing.

If we fire him at christmas there will always be that "What if he had the january transfer window to finish building his team?"

Despite MA's struggles, you'll find people saying Knight was right to fire Dean Wilkins. We survived in league one when people, rightly or wrongly, were concerned McGhee wouldn't keep us in league 1, yet US still argues we should have stuck by him and he would have got us promoted.

We can't know what the other path leads to. With MA we got progressively worse. With Slade, we're pretty stable, maybe marginally improving. So, there will be a lot of people who will maintain that getting rid of slade is a mistake, even if his replacement succeeds. ("So what if DW got us to 7th, McGhee would have got us higher!" "If the board backed McGhee, he would have kept us up!").

Bloom firing slade doesn't prove the anti-slade brigade right, even if his replacement succeeds (many people credit mourinho's early successes at chelsea with claudio ranieri's squad building), so I'm not sure they'd have anything to apologise for. Other than being rude to someone for simply having a different opinion.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Indeed, as said, pointless starting new ones when it's ground-hog day and I've just got back from w/e away. Though there seems to be a lot less abuse towards anyone raising doubts about our team's progress....it was a crime to do so a fortnight ago remember. That or some of us had legitimate concerns perhaps?

It's still a crime to do so, now, you numpty :p

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

bhamanandboy

Feb 17, 2008
I content myself by reflecting on the facts:

- We're a considerably better side than last year; League position suggest not!
- There have been some massive changes in the squad, and it's taking time for the team to gel; Load of bollocks! just not good enough!
- We're playing better football than last season; 3 wins from 13. Yeah great effort
- we've been pretty unlucky in some games; Surely the refs gang up on us every week dont they? unlucky my arse!
- We've got an owner who has some money (at long last); At last agreed!!!
- We have a 22,500 seater stadium being built before our very eyes.

It would be nice to have a few more points, but I'm not that depressed.

Please see red above

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here