Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our mentality's all wrong - even the supporters

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Last season, Adams kept assuring us that results were not matching performances, and that it was only a matter of time before we got the results we deserved. The desired results never came. So far, this season has been a replay of last, including the comments from the manager.

Also best not forget we are still GELLING god knows how long that takes...most other teams manage that in pre-season...maybe after 40-games we might just hit the nail on the head...

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Last season, Adams kept assuring us that results were not matching performances, and that it was only a matter of time before we got the results we deserved. The desired results never came. So far, this season has been a replay of last, including the comments from the manager.

Not wanting to slag Harty off but all he kept saying was 1 good win and we would turn the corner and despite beating the league leaders and thrashing Millwall it was soon business as usual. It's the same this season and even after 12 games we are in a worse position than last season but still the same 'it's just round the corner' comments are here.
At least last season we had the Carling Cup and JPT runs to disguise the leaue form but we haven't even got that now so excuses must be over and results must start happening starting at Yeovil.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If we lose at Yeovil I will start to worry.

Even if performances have been better than last year (they have been, marginally, from the sounds of it - having been to SOME games from each season) losing game after game will breed a losing mentality so we could go from losing despite playing well to losing AND playing badly.

bhamanandboy

Feb 17, 2008
Also best not forget we are still GELLING god knows how long that takes...most other teams manage that in pre-season...maybe after 40-games we might just hit the nail on the head...

Thats just redherring giving a manager a way out of the shit that he gets when his teams not winning.

Lets face it, if you put good players together you'll win against the shit in this league.
It just so happens that good players are hard to come by and cost bigger money therefore the attraction of playing for Brighton is zero.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
By the end of October we will know the truth. Still in relegation zone then Slade's position will surely be untenable. 9 points minimum I would say for Slade to keep his job. That will not be easy especially with Hartlepool coming to Withdean.They seem to be a jinx team for as at the moment.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
All I expect from the Slade is a messiah crowd is to be told to f*** off, go and support another team or the wanker sign but if anyone could explain why everyone is so happy with us in the relegation zone and out of both cup competitions at the first hurdle I would be interested to know.

Because of several reasons.

1) We're playing some good football, and we HAVE been unlucky not to win, Slade can't help it if some total disgrace of a lino gives a throw in that is blatently ours away, and they hit us on the break as we charge up to attack thinking its our throw.

2) We have the makings of a good team, Tunny, Bennet, Murray if he gets his head down, Smith was meant to be class, Jimmy Mac, Davis (arron) Forster still has a season or two left in him (i expect we'll be saying that this time in two years time!), if dickinson stops being a total muppet he could be a class act, theres the other dick, Dicker - mark my words he'll be big, he'll either stay with us through to the end of his carrer (or more likely) get sold to a big team for lots of cash and win the top level torphies.

3) Bloom said championship in TWO YEARS, had we been garanteed 1 year sucsess, then id be raving mad, but this is a Two year plan, so i'm more willing to wait.

4) Since the opening day of the season, our football's drasticly improved and were still getting better.

12/13th this season, 3/4th next.

Your wrong.

My point is when does any number of games reflect the managers ability, weekly, monthly, half a season a full season ???

At what point did Ferguson become a good manager from nearly being sacked by United ??

So your analysis remains flawed.

Would Ferguson, Wenger deliver success under the constraints of managing a lower league club, maybe not, but I don't think that would mean that they are bad manager's.

I know its a results game in terms of tenure and the managers know it too, I think the average lifespan of a league one manager has gone from 18 months to 12 months.

I am questioning those that celebrated his appointment only weeks ago that now feel comfortable to slag the guy off, without acknowledgement of their own bad judgement in the first instance.

My analysis is not flawed.
Winning the World Cup did not save Sir Alf Ramsey from the chop.
Nine :eek:clubs have already changed their managers since the start of the season.
9. Crewe Alexandra
8. Darlington
7. Rotherham United
6. Northampton Town
5. Lincoln City
4. Barnsley
3. Colchester United
2. Norwich City
1. Southampton

ferguson it is generally agreed that he was one game away from the sack and that had mark Robbins not scored a late equalier in a league cup game at oxford utd, he would have been sacked.

I SAVED FERGUSON FROM SACK; Now Robins has to rescue his own career.(Sport)
The People (London, England) | January 4, 1998| Bates, Steve | COPYRIGHT 1998 MGN LTD. This material is published under license from the publisher through the Gale Group, Farmington Hills, Michigan. All inquiries regarding rights should be directed to the Gale Group. (Hide copyright information) Copyright

Wenger - has not won a trophy since 2004-5.

and we still won't be gelling when we start next season in League 2

bhamanandboy

Feb 17, 2008

1) We're playing some good football,Your f***ing dreaming! and we HAVE been unlucky always are!!:nono:not to win, Slade can't help it if some total disgrace of a lino gives a throw in that is blatently ours away, and they hit us on the break as we charge up to attack thinking its our throw.

always someone elses fault!!!

2) We have the makings of a good team, Tunny, Bennet, Murray if he gets his head down, Smith was meant to be class, Jimmy Mac, Davis (arron) Forster still has a season or two left in him (i expect we'll be saying that this time in two years time!), if dickinson stops being a total muppet he could be a class act, theres the other dick, Dicker - mark my words he'll be big, he'll either stay with us through to the end of his carrer (or more likely) get sold to a big team for lots of cash and win the top level torphies.

3) Bloom said championship in TWO YEARS, had we been garanteed 1 year sucsess, then id be raving mad, but this is a Two year plan, so i'm more willing to wait.

4) Since the opening day of the season, our football's drasticly improved and were still getting better.

Your in dreamland mate!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The thing that worries me is we're starting to hear some lame excuses. I didn't go to MK Dons, but apparently they scored from a corner - and apparently the corner shouldn't have been given because the Dons were offside! I'm sorry but that is a shit excuse; it's like saying we should have had a throw-in ten minutes before that, the lineo's a disgrace, etc etc.

(If they DIDN'T score from a corner then please ignore this as, like most people who don't go to games, I'm talking out of my arse.)

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
I happen to be a Slade fan (there are lots of examples of good Managers that have not played professional football, not to mention lots of really good players that make awful Managers). The team is better in terms of the way we are playing this season, however, it is inevitable that if results don't improve Slade will get sacked because that is what happens.

The bottom line is that whatever we say here will not matter. US can keep hawling out the same set of stats thread after thread but in the end if the team gets a couple of wins Slade will be safe and if they don't he won't.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

1) We're playing some good football, and we HAVE been unlucky not to win, Slade can't help it if some total disgrace of a lino gives a throw in that is blatently ours away, and they hit us on the break as we charge up to attack thinking its our throw.

I accept it was not in the script to have to go up this season but why is it the play offs next season is the goal. Even you said it 3rd or 4th next season, thats the play off and a 1 in 4 chance of promotion or a 3 in 4 chance of starting at Falmer in the 3rd division. Automatic promotion is surely the objective next season. What is it with all this play off talk now ?.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The thing that worries me is we're starting to hear some lame excuses. I didn't go to MK Dons, but apparently they scored from a corner - and apparently the corner shouldn't have been given because the Dons were offside! I'm sorry but that is a shit excuse; it's like saying we should have had a throw-in ten minutes before that, the lineo's a disgrace, etc etc.

If they DIDN'T score from a corner then please ignore this as, like most people who don't go to games, I'm talking out of my arse.
You're right about that, but you will get that after ANY game. There are always people who will blame any little thing the officials do as being responsible for a defeat.

The MK Dons game is actually something that's giving me a bit of encouragement still about this season. We genuinely did play quite well, and with 11 men I think we'd have won. I know this sounds like the same old cop out but it's really not, there have been games when we've been poor this season, or at least poor in some aspects, and Slade has made mistakes as well. I think the next five games could be make or break for him.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

:laugh::p:wozza:

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
This time last year, I believed (wrongly, as events proved) Adams's continued protestations that results would improve. Now I find myself trying hard to believe Slade when he tells us the same.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Not really. We are not getting the results, but the football is better then served up under Adams. Bottom line in the end of course will be results, but I believe they will come.

Lets hope so. But we "hoped" for a long time last season, almost until the final month of the season. Which is why I'm alarmed by the passive acceptance of our result by many supporters last night. As someone said earlier, it's ground-hog day so far this season - and that undermines the credibility of all those serving to find an excuse for last nights result. We lost, again. We didn't score, again. If we all started to roar like a lion at withdean for example rather than accept our fate like lambs to the slaughter then it might improve player performances. But for that to happen, we've got to stop searching for justifications as to why we lose too many. And score too few.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yes the mentality is wrong, you only have to look at this website pre season when it was full of threads about walking the league and how long before we are bigger than palace threads.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here