Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our defence is crap

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
We are always scoring the first goal and not learning to keep these leads, so I dont need to be a brain surgeon to work this out and say that our defence is shit

If we could have held on the at least half of these leads we would be in the top half. We are not relegation material we are a match for any team in this division.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Yes our defence is shit. End of. Last year if we scored two at home there was not many times we drew/lost. I hate to say it and as much as i dont like harding, we really miss him.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think it's because last year all we did was pretty much defend. On the flipside, if we ever went a goal down, that was pretty muvh game over. At least now we have some attacking threat and know we can come back into a game. Unfortunately the attacking threat has diluted our defensive strength and we can never hold onto the bloody lead. It's all about balance. And a striker that can score regulalry. Put a decent striker next to Leon and we'll score plenty. I reckon leon's strike rate wqould improve considerably too.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
a striker as a right back
a midfielder as a left back

Can't get away with that week in week out in the championship.

Would drop Butters and try

Mayo McShane Dodd Reid

Doesn't look that good on paper but the amount of goals we are shipping it's time we made some changes.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
garry nelsons left foot said:
I think it's because last year all we did was pretty much defend. On the flipside, if we ever went a goal down, that was pretty muvh game over. At least now we have some attacking threat and know we can come back into a game. Unfortunately the attacking threat has diluted our defensive strength and we can never hold onto the bloody lead. It's all about balance. And a striker that can score regulalry. Put a decent striker next to Leon and we'll score plenty. I reckon leon's strike rate wqould improve considerably too.

Yeah i aggree with that. Not too long before we find a balance and start to look a good team. If we find a striker that can finish and a decent LB than we will be laughing next season.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Guy has had two great seasons for us but the years are catching up with him and he must be replaced.
El Abd shouldn't have been out of contention for so long and can clearly do a good job.
Perhaps we should try five at the back at Cardiff.
We miss the physical presence of Virgo and also the athleticism of Harding. Neither player has been replaced and so teams are outmuscling us which they didn't do last season.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Dougal said:
a striker as a right back
a midfielder as a left back

Can't get away with that week in week out in the championship.

And that is the problem. Reid is a good player who looks comfortable on the ball and can pass well, but at left back he just looks shit. Too many times players will get by him. Hart was the same, being beaten down the wing on numerous occasions.

McGhee needs to find a left back quickly, but as he hasn't been able to do that so far, I won't be holding my breath.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I think where we have suffered this year is with a lack of pace at the back, particularly at left back and in the centre, with forwards too often running through us. You can say a lot of things about Harding as a player, but the one thing he certainly wasn't lacking was a turn of speed.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Is Mayo injured? he can be so bad in training that McGhee thinks a right midfielder is a better option.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
I think Butters has done wonders since he joined us, not least shedding a few stone, but some of his weaknesses are starting to show at this level. I still think he's an automatic starting defender for us until we are in the cash windfall position to do otherwise (as if), but we are where we are working with what weve got and if Guy commands an automatic starting place that says alot about what we have to play with.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I think Butters is indespensible at the moment. It's on the flanks that we have trouble. I think Hart's done a decent job on the right, but Reid's best position isn't the left.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
butters is great in the air but desperately lacks pace now.
el abd and mcshane would be a good CB partnership...roll on the return of hinsh.

but, as suggested we MUST get some full backs in. i think reid can do a job at right back but i dont have faith in mayo, hart or dodd. we should pull out all the stops to sign a young, pacey fullback on loan from a prem club.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Last year, I thought we had the potential of a good defence with Reid, Virgo, Hinshelwood and Harding.

Now we need four new defenders.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
But what about a defence of El-Abd at right back, McShane (if we can keep him on loan) and Hinshelwood at centre half and a new left back. Stong, mobile defence that is good in the air.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think it is time for McGhee to stick with Dodd at right back.

Harty has done his best but yesterday again showed his limitations, so the time is right to give Dodd a run in the team.

I'd also like to see Reid in the middle of the park with Hammond.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Putt Didd in at right back and Mayo at left back. We cannot continue playing players out of position.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Love to see Nicolas get a run along side Hammond, those two together could really start to dominate midfield with Frutos and Carole on the wings.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Butters is most definetely not the player he was last season. Reid needs to go back into midfield.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Reid always looks lightweight in midfield, he tends to go missing in games in that position. We have skill on the wings, so the fullbacks need to be able to defend.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I suppose if we got a new midfielder (the player I recommended, Matt Bloomfield of Wycombe is now coming good for them) Chippy could then play at right back!

El Dabd will replace Butters: when?

So it looks like El Dabd and Hinshelwood. Somehow I do not think it is going to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here