Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ouch!

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I think it's a pretty disgraceful tackle having seen the pictures. It takes force to literally go through someone's leg like that. Rush of blood to the head, lack of concentration, whatever - extremely careless and career-threatening in my view, Taylor should be ashamed of himself.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
For those that really want to see the worst of it, i'll provide a link for you. However it's pretty sickening so I won't put the image up in the thread.
http://www.index.hr/images2/LomNogeV.jpg
:(

That is really quite unbelievably bad.

Suddenly I can under the reactions of Wenger, and even Gallas. If you saw that live, OMG, where would your emotions be?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That is really quite unbelievably bad.

Suddenly I can under the reactions of Wenger, and even Gallas. If you saw that live, OMG, where would your emotions be?

I can more than understand the reactions having seen it at first hand and know my lands team went mad when they realised what had happened.

However it is very much heat of the moment and usually when things have calmed down sense prevails.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
What was the challenge like?.

If it was a 2 footed lunge he should be sacked.

Five Live this afternoon were saying it was no worse a tackle than some Arsenal put in against Man Utd last weekend. But, Eduardo happened to break his leg this week.

Wenger's slated the bloke who made the tackle, but from what I've heard he needs to calm his own players down, too.

Busst, Cisse and those other horrific leg breaks came without a tackle even being made, so challenges don't have to be that nasty to cause a break.

rusty redeyes

Feb 26, 2007
Portslade, The Blue Anchor
having seen the tackle on MOTD, I believe that it wasn't intended and this is an unfortunate accident from a slightly late challenge. The pictures make it look worse than it was, though that's no consolation for Eduardo. Wenger retracting his earlier statement about Taylor would indicate that on reflection he now thinks it was unfortunate..

Accidents happen, fortunately for Man U last week, Arsenals attempts at thuggery on Evra and Nani didn't cause injury and having seen the way Eboue flies in for challenges, now there is an accident waiting to happen!!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think I said on another thread- these things are decided by the finest of margins.

Another hundredth of a second and Eduardo avoids any contact at all, a hundredth of a second the other way and he winds up with a slightly bruised shin, like players do every single game. Every player mistimes tackles.

It just so happens on this occasion that unfortunately the contact has come at precisely the spot and precisely the split second where both players are exerting the maximum force- the problem being that Eduardo's studs were presumably caught in the turf so his leg didn't move away when Taylor's boot collided with him, as it would have done had it been half an inch higher.

Feel tremendously sorry for him, but it's just one of those things all players risk having to confront at some time or other, occupational hazard I suppose.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Busst, Cisse and those other horrific leg breaks came without a tackle even being made, so challenges don't have to be that nasty to cause a break.

That's the strange irony isn't it, that the worst injuries I've ever seen have come from pretty innocuous challenges. The only horrific looking challenge that I can think of that also produced an horrific injury was Schumacher on Batiston, and yet I beleive the ref didn't even give a foul on that one.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's fortunately rare that a career threatening injury comes from a hideous tackle.
With many of the worst challenges, players seem to miraculously walk away, while they seem to pick up more problems doing things like catching their own studs in the turf, or twisting knees.

Trying to think of a few exceptions- never seen it myself, but plenty on here must have been there when Gerry Ryan got his leg broken against Palace. Wasn't that suppose to be a bit of a shocker?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It's fortunately rare that a career threatening injury comes from a hideous tackle.
With many of the worst challenges, players seem to miraculously walk away, while they seem to pick up more problems doing things like catching their own studs in the turf, or twisting knees.

Trying to think of a few exceptions- never seen it myself, but plenty on here must have been there when Gerry Ryan got his leg broken against Palace. Wasn't that suppose to be a bit of a shocker?

yeah, I was there and it was bad.

As was Whitesides tackle on Ramsey in the Cup Final. Ramsey did "walk away", but what the f*ck Whiteside though he was doing we'll never know.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There was a Sheffield Wednesday player back in the 80s, who broke his leg in about seven places, if memory serves me correctly.

That must have been some tackle.

Kenneth Wattle

Aug 31, 2007
Wenger has now apologised for his comments, in all honesty as a manager of a player who may well now have ended his career this afternoon- heat of the moment comments, surely anyone would have said the same?

You can't disagree that it was a horrendous tackle, whether intentional or not. Absolute disgrace to the game.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ah, have found it.

Ian Knight was his name, he did indeed break his leg in seven places, following a tackle by Gary Bennett of Chester. Knight later sued him for £1.5 million in court. One article I read about it stated you could hear the crack from the top of the away stand at Hillsborough.

If you want one to make you wince, however, I reckon THIS one is worse than Martin Taylor's, no idea what happened to the victim though...
YouTube - New Zealand Football Final - Horror Tackle

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Very sad to see as Eduardo was emerging as one of the most talented forwards in England. We hadn't yet seen the best of him and may never do now. :(

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Mistimed but not malicious. Its to Wengers credit that he withdrew his emotional post-match remarks. I saw it "live" and thought it was a hard tackle but not a dirty one. 999 times out of 1000 Eduardo would have walked away from that with a sore ankle - there is NO WAY Taylor went in to do that, it was just mistimed.

I feel desperately sorry for Eduardo though. His whole career must be hanging by a thread, I can't imagine what he's going through tonight. I've watched the replay of the tackle once on TV tonight, I won't be watching it again. It made me feel physically ill. I suppose its too much to ask for the Sundays to avoid publishing pictures. NOTW is a gimmee, hopefully the Times and the mail will refrain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here