Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ouch!

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Mistimed but not malicious. Its to Wengers credit that he withdrew his emotional post-match remarks. I saw it "live" and thought it was a hard tackle but not a dirty one. 999 times out of 1000 Eduardo would have walked away from that with a sore ankle - there is NO WAY Taylor went in to do that, it was just mistimed.

I feel desperately sorry for Eduardo though. His whole career must be hanging by a thread, I can't imagine what he's going through tonight. I've watched the replay of the tackle once on TV tonight, I won't be watching it again. It made me feel physically ill. I suppose its too much to ask for the Sundays to avoid publishing pictures. NOTW is a gimmee, hopefully the Times and the mail will refrain.

The NOTW have it as one of their main pictures on their website

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
It wasn't until MOTD had finished with the replay and discussion about the tackle last night that I realised I had my own ankle clamped in my hand in a kind of protective way!

I think it was bad enough to knock the Gary Busst images off top spot in terms of horrendous football injuries.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Horrendous Pictures. Quite why people keep posting thm on this forum is beyond me. I hope the guy makes a ful recovery, as i fear he will never play again. Croatia will miss him at Euro 2008 and the first fiew quallifiers later this year.

Btw, I think taylor should have been sent off. If you watch it again he is nowhere near the ball!

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
I noticed the beeb showed the replay on motd this morning but froze the image before contact. Quite right I say, there will be a lot of kids who watch on Sunday morning and they or anyone else doesn't need to see that again.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
If you want one to make you wince, however, I reckon THIS one is worse than Martin Taylor's, no idea what happened to the victim though...
YouTube - New Zealand Football Final - Horror Tackle

RIKI VAN STEEDEN
Currently a defender for Auckland City in the New Zealand Football Championship.
THIS site says he didn't break his leg, Wiki said he did! Go figure.

That was a lot worse that Taylor's though, a lot higher. Some say he was getting revenge for a tackle beforehand.

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Just bad luck from what I've seen of the tackle. One of those rare instances where the player has been caught when his foot is firmly planted in the pitch - Taylor was going for the ball, Eduardo nicked it away, and his leg was then precisely where the ball was, just one of those things...

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
it was a bad tackle, its getting more common now for some reason, but i wonder what wenger would be saying if its the other way round, one of his players breaking an oppenets leg with a bad tackle, proburaly claim he never saw it like usual

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Does anyone think he went into the tackle thinking, "If I catch him just right, I'll end his career"?

Yoda

English & European
I can’t believe some people are just saying it was ‘miss-timed’ and ‘just unlucky’ or ‘one of those things’.

Look at where Taylor’s foot make initial contact with Eduardo’s leg.

Stud’s up, halfway up his shin and way over the top of where the ball would have been.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I think it's a pretty disgraceful tackle having seen the pictures. It takes force to literally go through someone's leg like that. Rush of blood to the head, lack of concentration, whatever - extremely careless and career-threatening in my view, Taylor should be ashamed of himself.

Sorry I can't agree with that. Having seen the tackle live, I don't see any way it was intended, it was slightly over the top, but not malicious. Show-mos and stills look much worse, the actual tackle happened in a fraction of a second. Not a good tackle but a very unfortunate result.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
yeah, I was there and it was bad.

As was Whitesides tackle on Ramsey in the Cup Final. Ramsey did "walk away", but what the f*ck Whiteside though he was doing we'll never know.

I'm sure I remember reading in Whiteside's autobiography that his challenge on Ramsey was the only one in his career where he went in to hurt the other person on purpose. If my memory serves he also stood on Ramsey as he got up to walk away from what he had done.

Feckin nasty piece of work.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Sorry I can't agree with that. Having seen the tackle live, I don't see any way it was intended, it was slightly over the top, but not malicious. Show-mos and stills look much worse, the actual tackle happened in a fraction of a second. Not a good tackle but a very unfortunate result.
It's normally to tackle a player at mid-to-high shin level with a straight leg then? Don't think I'll be playing football against you.

I'm amazed he may be back in 9 months. I think he can consider himself quite luck it was only a broken fibia and dislocated ankle. The photos make it look much worse.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It's normally to tackle a player at mid-to-high shin level with a straight leg then? Don't think I'll be playing football against you.

I'm amazed he may be back in 9 months. I think he can consider himself quite luck it was only a broken fibia and dislocated ankle. The photos make it look much worse.

Any tackle that goes over the ball is bound to be "mid-to-high" shin level. My point wasn't that it wasn't a bad attempted tackle, rather that slow-mos and stills make things that happen very quickly look much worse. I was just repsonding to someone who hadn't seen the incident live.

Yoda

English & European
Any tackle that goes over the ball is bound to be "mid-to-high" shin level. My point wasn't that it wasn't a bad attempted tackle, rather that slow-mos and stills make things that happen very quickly look much worse. I was just repsonding to someone who hadn't seen the incident live.

But on the other side of the coin, any tackle that is over the ball is dangerous and potentially carer threatening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here