Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Scottish pound notes

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
i get them quite often in the bookies, but i believe when they get taken back to the bank they get destroyed as theyre not making them anymore.

so i was told anyway :shrug:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If all goes well I am selling my car to someone who is travelling down from Scotland on Saturday. They will be paying with Scottish pound notes, which is all they can get locally.

I have not seen Scottish notes for about 25 years and have no idea what they look like (could be Bank of Toytown money!). They come in £5, 20, 50 and 100 and I can google images.

But what else should I check. Do they have the metal strip, a hologram, a watermark or all of these?

Cheers

I'm sure they sold cars in Scotland last time I was there.

Unless this is some kind of superspecial collector's item car, I'd be very wary of a scam.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It sounds very dodgy to me, why pay that much in cash ?

It makes me wonder whether the notes are a)forged or b) stolen c)from the proceeds of crime like drugs money and being laundered.

Also it wouldn't surprise me if your car were to turn up on crimewatch a few days later after being used in a major robbery or other crime and you find a few coppers on your doorstep wanting to ask you a few questions.

Just thought i'd put your mind at ease :thumbsup:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I'm sure they sold cars in Scotland last time I was there.

Unless this is some kind of superspecial collector's item car, I'd be very wary of a scam.

that was my immediate thought, what type of car are you selling - is it really worth someone's round journey from Scotland to buy when they havn't even seen the car before

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Watch out for the old Scottish notes as well , these were replaced by notes with castles on the back. Its not unusual to pay for a car in cash as it takes the worry out of a cheque bouncing or the bank suspending a bankers draft.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i get them quite often in the bookies, but i believe when they get taken back to the bank they get destroyed as theyre not making them anymore.

Scottish notes not printed any more? fairy story, they'd choke on their IrnBru and rise up at the mere suggestion.

It sounds very dodgy to me, why pay that much in cash ?

It makes me wonder whether the notes are a)forged or b) stolen c)from the proceeds of crime like drugs money and being laundered.

everyones having a laugh but i think its quite normal to pay cash for a car, especially from a distance. say you get there and you dont want to pay the full price because xyz? a bankers draft has you rather snookered. i have bot paid and been paid substantial wads of cash for a car. its only been raised because its scottish funny money.

on the other hand they could have made live a litte easier for themselves: a bankers draft for 90% plus cash for the rest.

D

Deleted User X18H

Indeed, that is about the value of the Royal Bank of Scotland!

An accountant friend of ours told us to hoard a similar sum in the house about 18 months ago, when it was still possible certain banks could go under.

I still can't find where the missus has put it. I think she moves it round every Cheltenham, Ascot, Goodwood etc.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
that was my immediate thought, what type of car are you selling - is it really worth someone's round journey from Scotland to buy when they havn't even seen the car before

happens all the time.

oooh i cant take scottish money! ooh i will meet him in a bank! oooh its a scam no one travels from scotland to buy a car!

this has got to be the most parochial and paranoid thread i have seen on nsc and its up against some stiff competition.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
happens all the time.

oooh i cant take scottish money! ooh i will meet him in a bank! oooh its a scam no one travels from scotland to buy a car!

this has got to be the most parochial and paranoid thread i have seen on nsc and its up against some stiff competition.

Thought you were enjoying the summer sunshine and looking forward to England v Germany? Sounds more like you're working yourself into a right old lather for no good reason at all and it's only Saturday morning :lol:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Thought you were enjoying the summer sunshine and looking forward to England v Germany? Sounds more like you're working yourself into a right old lather for no good reason at all and it's only Saturday morning :lol:

I am it does not get much better than this. The bloods up and I am ready to kick the day right in the f***ing plums any minute. Come on England!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

And you mate. Have a good one.

And just remember all you jockos this weekend. That strange orange ball in the sky is DANGEROUS.

zz5690.jpg

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Thanks to all those that contibuted to this debate.

The deed is now done and you can all sleep at night again.

The couple travelled over 700 mile round trip to get the car.

They arrived with a mixture of Sterling and Scottish notes and I took his wife into town to pay the notes across the counter at Halifax.

Not one forgery amongst them - somehow I felt just a little cheated:whistle:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Good a place as any I suppose...

Mrs Reid goes into the office of the Peterhead Advertiser in Aberdeenshire and asks to take out an obituary notice for her husband who has recently died. Asked what message she'd like for the obituary she replies: 'Reid. Deid. Peterheid.' On being informed that she can have up to six words for a pound in her obituary notice, and would she like to amend the notice, she replies: 'Reid. Deid. Peterheid. Volvo For Sale.'

Oct 25, 2003
An accountant friend of ours told us to hoard a similar sum in the house about 18 months ago, when it was still possible certain banks could go under.

I still can't find where the missus has put it. I think she moves it round every Cheltenham, Ascot, Goodwood etc.

what's your address again?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
happens all the time.

It is common practice for people who make large transactions, in cash, drafts or transfer to do so in a bank.

I don't think because he's Scottish he's dodgy, just a large transaction with someone you don't know at all.

It's all so very paranoid until it is you who gets conned out of a couple of grand eh? Then yuo wish to God you had been more careful. But as you say this NEVER happens. They are no people at all who make a killing conning peope out of money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here