Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Scottish pound notes

D

Deleted User X18H

what's your address again?

Newick Road Brighton. Do wear a floppy sun hat, flip flops and spectacles on a string so I recognise you.

When the door is opened say Ohh hi Timmy sweetie, I've come to help you search out the back. Thats the password.

Look forward to seeing you.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I served a customer today who paid with a Scottish £20 note who asked why I hadn't called over a supervisor to check it , to which I replied that I knew what the notes looked like. She had been trying to get rid of this note for the last week to no avail as all the shops she had been into refused to take it saying it wasn't legal tender. She thought I was extremely knowledgable when I told her this was correct on a technicality. (thanks LB :thumbsup:)

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
It is common practice for people who make large transactions, in cash, drafts or transfer to do so in a bank.

I don't think because he's Scottish he's dodgy, just a large transaction with someone you don't know at all.

It's all so very paranoid until it is you who gets conned out of a couple of grand eh? Then yuo wish to God you had been more careful. But as you say this NEVER happens. They are no people at all who make a killing conning peope out of money.

i know nibble selling cars cash is not the most stress free transaction in the world, agreed. I am not knocking anyones cautiousness over that its fair enough.

its the scotch money thing that makes me laugh though. have you ever got in a cab in kings cross with a wallet full, had a cab ride where he bangs on about britain going down the pan and then he freaks out when you try and pay with money that is used every f***ing day in large parts of the country he loves so much. makes me die. let alone NI money. i can forgive a recently arrived tamil newsagents assistant to a certain extent but not british to their bootstraps cabbie or anyone else who has lived in the UK for any length of time. I am no massive fan of the jocks but you can see why they get the needle with the english sometimes.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
i know nibble selling cars cash is not the most stress free transaction in the world, agreed. I am not knocking anyones cautiousness over that its fair enough.

its the scotch money thing that makes me laugh though. have you ever got in a cab in kings cross with a wallet full, had a cab ride where he bangs on about britain going down the pan and then he freaks out when you try and pay with money that is used every f***ing day in large parts of the country he loves so much. makes me die. let alone NI money. i can forgive a recently arrived tamil newsagents assistant to a certain extent but not british to their bootstraps cabbie or anyone else who has lived in the UK for any length of time. I am no massive fan of the jocks but you can see why they get the needle with the english sometimes.

You know dear chap, I think we may actually agree with each other!

Northern Ireland notes are far more difficult to shift. I have a First Trust Bank £10 note and a Bank of Ireland £5 note in my wallet. And there they stay, unspent, until my next trip over the water.

Bank of Ireland notes are particularly problematic. "Haven't they joined the Euro?" is the usual response. No they bloody well haven't. It's a Belfast bank. Belfast is part of the UK. "Five Pounds STERLING", as written on the note, is Five Pounds STERLING, in anyone's language.

Except shopkeepers, it would seem.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
I'm sorry, but surely they would have had to make special arrangements with their bank to withdraw 9.5k, and - given notice - the bank could have sorted English notes. Yes, a lot of the money up here is Scottish notes, but English notes are around. I'd say about a third of what I see is English, and I'm sure my bank could have done this for me if I'd asked.

This. English notes are very common up here, and are given out as a routine by some banks, Barclay's for one.

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
It is common practice for people who make large transactions, in cash, drafts or transfer to do so in a bank.

I don't think because he's Scottish he's dodgy, just a large transaction with someone you don't know at all.

It's all so very paranoid until it is you who gets conned out of a couple of grand eh? Then yuo wish to God you had been more careful. But as you say this NEVER happens. They are no people at all who make a killing conning peope out of money.

Spot on! :thumbsup:

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
Thanks to all those that contibuted to this debate.

The deed is now done and you can all sleep at night again.

The couple travelled over 700 mile round trip to get the car.

They arrived with a mixture of Sterling and Scottish notes and I took his wife into town to pay the notes across the counter at Halifax.

Not one forgery amongst them - somehow I felt just a little cheated:whistle:

Good for them. :thumbsup:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Northern Ireland notes are far more difficult to shift. I have a First Trust Bank £10 note and a Bank of Ireland £5 note in my wallet. And there they stay, unspent, until my next trip over the water.

Bank of Ireland notes are particularly problematic. "Haven't they joined the Euro?" is the usual response. No they bloody well haven't. It's a Belfast bank. Belfast is part of the UK. "Five Pounds STERLING", as written on the note, is Five Pounds STERLING, in anyone's language.

Except shopkeepers, it would seem.

Moto services seem to take nordie notes no bother, although I've had the "I need to get my supervisor..." a few times there too. And I suspect you'll NEVER be able to get a plastic Northern Bank fiver accepted.

Bank of Ireland's actually based in Dublin btw :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here