Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Scottish pound notes

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I'm sorry, but surely they would have had to make special arrangements with their bank to withdraw 9.5k, and - given notice - the bank could have sorted English notes. Yes, a lot of the money up here is Scottish notes, but English notes are around. I'd say about a third of what I see is English, and I'm sure my bank could have done this for me if I'd asked.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
not being funny but on the threads when we ask why the jocks are so chippy about the English, it might be worth remembering this little saga as a case in point.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
This is the one you might have a problem with:-

rbs1.jpg

Who the hell wants a £1 note these days?

And there was me thinking it would have a picture of Jimmy Crankie on it !!

J2 BHA

NSC Patron
Jul 28, 2004
£9.5k in crisp Scottish notes from a jock? Are you mad?! How about i offer you £10k from the Bank of Monopoly and i promise they're real, not fake.

PM me if interested!

On a serious note, i would never accept Scottish notes from anything other than the bank, the counterfeit problem with Scottish notes is very well documented (fair play to the poster who offered links as opposed to my sarcasm!). If you think looking at a few pictures on t'internet and reading about what counterfeit money looks like will ensure you don't get turned over then fair enough and good luck!

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
9500 !!!!! Purely on the balance of probability there will be a couple of hundred quid of fakes!!!

Although I doubt there would be many from a bank.

All sounds a bit iffy to me.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I spent a Scottish fiver in a pub at on Wedenesday and they ahd no problem. If in doubt a good tip when selling a car is what my friend did and did the transaction in his bank in town. That way they can tell you there and then if the notes are Kosher and the whole transaction is on CCTV, maybe a bit paranoid but both the seller and buyer got peace of mind.

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
I'm sorry, but surely they would have had to make special arrangements with their bank to withdraw 9.5k, and - given notice - the bank could have sorted English notes. Yes, a lot of the money up here is Scottish notes, but English notes are around. I'd say about a third of what I see is English, and I'm sure my bank could have done this for me if I'd asked.

I agree with bhafc99. They would have to have gone to a bank to get 9,500 in cash. So they could arrange English notes. No-one should have 9,500 in cash lying about the house so I'd be very cautious. :facepalm:

Lewes pounds have a "Use Before" date. A good proportion of them get snapped up by collectors or forgotten about, leaving the organisation that sold them in the first place - Transvestite Town Lewes - literally quids in.

They work as currency because they can be exchanged for real money at Barclays Bank - but only before they reach their expiry date.

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
I spent a Scottish fiver in a pub at on Wedenesday and they ahd no problem. If in doubt a good tip when selling a car is what my friend did and did the transaction in his bank in town. That way they can tell you there and then if the notes are Kosher and the whole transaction is on CCTV, maybe a bit paranoid but both the seller and buyer got peace of mind.

Good shout! Problem solved! :bowdown:

D

Deleted User X18H

I agree with bhafc99. They would have to have gone to a bank to get 9,500 in cash. So they could arrange English notes. No-one should have 9,500 in cash lying about the house so I'd be very cautious. :facepalm:

Plenty of people have £9,500 laying around in cash and more. UK Banks aren't what they were.

But as I said earlier, in a case like this Bankers Draft or no sale. And if they can not get a Bankers Draft ask yourself why.

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
Plenty of people have £9,500 laying around in cash and more. UK Banks aren't what they were.

That's more than my annual ("gold-plated") civil service pension in cash lying about the house... :eek: Different thread... :lolol:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
If in doubt a good tip when selling a car is what my friend did and did the transaction in his bank in town. That way they can tell you there and then if the notes are Kosher and the whole transaction is on CCTV, maybe a bit paranoid but both the seller and buyer got peace of mind.

And I would guess that if the purchaser refuses to do this, there is fair chance he/she is a well dodgy geezer/geezeress

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here