Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT How to reduce rush hour traffic problems on the M25

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Why is there a 10k difference in salary between BH and New Maldan?

Proximity to London I guess? The point I'm making is that commuting is sometimes a necessity rather than a choice. So saying work closer to home is not the answer.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Must admit I rarely do that swerve across three lanes thing if someone is hogging the middle at 65mph. Just have a really good look at them to make sure they're not coming back into the inside lane any time soon and cruise past in the inside lane at 70....

Was in the States in the summer and dreaded the idea of driving on the freeways where there is no overtaking lane as such. 'Undertaking' is perfectly fine. As it turned out, once you get used to checking both mirrors if you're switching lanes, it seemed a good system. I'm a convert. Surely a lot of accidents are caused as slower vehicles change lanes? Over there, they don't need to. If you're pottering along you can sit in one lane and let people go round you. And if you're in a rush, there's less frustration and road rage potential. If there's a slower car ahead you just go either side, no problem. Apart from the odd car weaving in and out, it seemed to work fine (and even then you knew they were allowed to do that so it was less annoying). Possibly need to be on your toes a little more if you're in a hurry but those happy to cruise don't have to put up with mad drivers on their bumper, flashing lights etc

While we're at it can we have left turns allowed on red lights too. So much better for traffic flow.

The only proviso on all this is that American drivers seem more courteous generally. But I think the removal of some needless frustrations probably helps that.

American freeways (and all their roads in fact) are more than twice as dangerous as British ones.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Proximity to London I guess? The point I'm making is that commuting is sometimes a necessity rather than a choice. So saying work closer to home is not the answer.

What is it you do?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The answer to reducing rush hour traffic does not involve banning lorries or single occupancy cars but in fixing public transport.
At the moment I drive to work because it is quicker and cheaper than getting the train. There is no incentive for me to use public transport. If they can do something about that then I may well leave the car at home.

Same with me. I live next to Brighton station and the office is next to Haywards Heath station, but the cost of the train is ridiculous. If the prices were halved I would get the train... Having said that, when I have commuted on the train before I've found then I have a constant sucession of colds throughout the winter caught from other passengers, whereas when I drive I stay healthy.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
To the poster suggesting banning HGVs from the roads at peak times...presumably you don't mind if your local Tesco has run out of milk or your nearby McDonalds has no burger buns because they have to wait for the delivery truck which isn't allowed to arrive until after 10am...

What rubbish (with respect!).

If Tesco and Mc Donalds knew that their trucks could not use the M25 in rush hours they would just have to schedule their deliveries for a different time. Not too difficult.

And another thing, if trucks were banned from the M25 during rush hours, when they did use the motorway their journey times would be much reduced thus saving time and fuel.

My suggestion is making more and more sense the longer I consider it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Application Support.
Anything else you'd like to know about me? Shoe size? Favorite colour?

Height?

You could move further away from home if you like. The guys and girls who support the apps I use are based in South Africa and Canada and Ireland. We have a small handful of hardware chaps at the office which I sometime go to but everything else is remote. I think you can see where I'm coming from.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What rubbish (with respect!).

If Tesco and Mc Donalds knew that their trucks could not use the M25 in rush hours they would just have to schedule their deliveries for a different time. Not too difficult.

It is when the are not allowed to deliver between specific hours due to planning terms.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Same with me. I live next to Brighton station and the office is next to Haywards Heath station, but the cost of the train is ridiculous. If the prices were halved I would get the train... Having said that, when I have commuted on the train before I've found then I have a constant sucession of colds throughout the winter caught from other passengers, whereas when I drive I stay healthy.

There is a lot more the government needs to do to tempt people out of their cars onto public transport including:
- free parking for commuters at train stations
- more seats on trains at rush hours. On the occasions I do use the train to commute I have to stand all the way both ways. Hardly the way to encourage use of public transport. I would rather sit in my car in traffic.
- lower train fares

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Inside lane - HGV's, OAP's & cars over 10 years old
Middle lane - Vans & women drivers (that's where they drive normally)
Outside lane - All other traffic with priority for BMW's

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
One of my favourite quotes ever, don't remember who said it:

"Never complain about the traffic. You are the traffic."

Dec 18, 2003
Haywards Heath
I spend a lot of time on motorways and as someone else posted a lot of problems are caused by those who belong the to middle lane owners club. A special badge should be made for these idiots that can then be displayed on the rear of their cars so other motorists know that its their right to be there. They really f***ing annoy me as do tossers who drive with their fog lamps on even when its not foggy :annoyed:
This! Spot on!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am quite fortunate that although I am based in Crawley, I can wfh when the traffic is bad, but I also work in hounslow and leatherhead. Certainly getting a train to hounslow is impossible to get ther at a decent time, I have tried a few times and it took three trains and a taxi. I drive to Crawley and leatherhead as again it's easier than public transport ( I commuted from portslade to London bridge for 8 years)

I think if you have to work far away from home, certainly for me, using the car is preferred option.

Pt is certainly more relaxing especially if you are doing a long trip up north.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The number of cars on the motorways and in fact all roads could be reduced at a stroke just take the costs of the car out of the tax system so that they are not tax deductable but this would present other tax problems. If a company could not claim the cost back against tax they would be less ageeable to give a company car to employees hence the nos of 2 or 3 car families would reduce. The allow public transpoort season tickets to be a tax deductable item in its place. A lot of companies would then give their employeees a season ticket rather than a car unless the car is really essential to their job,

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5
The lorry drivers are mainly out on the road at night; what heavy tonnage traffic left on the motorways after 7 am is normally just what has been held up elsewhere. Plus lorry drivers at least have proper lane discipline, signal to their colleagues, get back to the inside lane ASAP etc..

Other drivers just waste the massive investment in extra motorway lanes by sitting in the outside 2, 3 or 4 lanes leaving the inside lanes empty in most cases.

It is best practice to get back into the inside lanes behind the lorries when you can as speeding vehicles are less visible/exposed to mobile police cameras, rather than being a sitting duck in the outside lane. The trick with the M25 is ideally being on and off it by 7 am, after that you are part of the problem.

Familiarity with the cut-throughs between every junction is useful plus Radio 2 provides audible and accurate information - most London radio travel reports are a consonant-free zone in comparison.

Having had to get to Bournemouth, Manchester, Reading, Glasgow, Milton Keynes, Tamworth, Bradford, Chelmsford, Birmingham and Edinburgh for work ( or meetings - not really the same thing as work) at 0830 on a Monday morning you can't afford to get held up on the M25 or any of the other multi-lane car parks these days.

Same approach applies to getting into airports early in the morning before the approaches are clogged, especially Gatwick, Heathrow and, worst of all, Luton, where the cut-off before chaos reigns is 0530.

Government wants people in their cars due to the huge amount on duty on fuel.......

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

Are you sure on the cost? Annual season works out about 60% of a daily peak ticket. And if you allow for mileage related car costs not just petrol? Quicker by train for this journey too, and you can stop for a drink after work on occasion? The route is valid via Lewes so you would get free travel to/from the Amex too. Can't rebut the colds point though!

PG

Dec 18, 2003
Haywards Heath
For me, poor lane discipline is a major cause of traffic on motorways! You should always 'Keep left unless overtaking!'

The Highway Code states the following in relation to lane discipline: 264 You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past. Slow-moving or speed-restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The number of cars on the motorways and in fact all roads could be reduced at a stroke just take the costs of the car out of the tax system so that they are not tax deductable but this would present other tax problems. If a company could not claim the cost back against tax they would be less ageeable to give a company car to employees hence the nos of 2 or 3 car families would reduce. The allow public transpoort season tickets to be a tax deductable item in its place. A lot of companies would then give their employeees a season ticket rather than a car unless the car is really essential to their job,

Great idea, but the problem with encouraging more commuting by train is that the trains cannot cope with the existing rush hour traffic.

I get really really pissed off when I have to stand for a 45min journey having paid a fare which entitles me to a seat. At the very least there should be reduced fares for standees. How to enforce it is another question!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When I was a lad they did a workmans ticket on the trains which meant you had to be at your London station by 8.00am and couldnt return between 4.30 and 7.00pm, I think it was, but the price was about 20% of a normal day return. With many people working flexi hours would not more people travel at these times if a similar ticket was made available again, thus filling the trains at what are now less busy periods. I am sure a lot of commuters would leave home in West Sussex at 6.00am if they could finish work and be back home by 5.00pm or work later on 4 days until 7 or 8pm and have Friday or Monday off.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Great idea, but the problem with encouraging more commuting by train is that the trains cannot cope with the existing rush hour traffic.

I get really really pissed off when I have to stand for a 45min journey having paid a fare which entitles me to a seat. At the very least there should be reduced fares for standees. How to enforce it is another question!

You ARE 'entitled' to a seat, just as you're 'entitled' to drive a 70mph in the inside lane of the motorway. Just because it isn't possible doesn't mean you've lost your entitlement to do so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here