Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT How to reduce rush hour traffic problems on the M25

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
To the poster suggesting banning HGVs from the roads at peak times...presumably you don't mind if your local Tesco has run out of milk or your nearby McDonalds has no burger buns because they have to wait for the delivery truck which isn't allowed to arrive until after 10am...

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Obviously you were already committed to working in Weybridge and living in Worthing before Beeching cut the service in 1957........

Not my fault, its the others, someone is to blame but its not me etc etc..

Fair enough, I will quit work and go on benefits. I was pointing out that the Beeching cuts might have been damaging to transport, not asking for career advice.

brightonbaz

Feb 22, 2009
I spend a lot of time on motorways and as someone else posted a lot of problems are caused by those who belong the to middle lane owners club. A special badge should be made for these idiots that can then be displayed on the rear of their cars so other motorists know that its their right to be there. They really f***ing annoy me as do tossers who drive with their fog lamps on even when its not foggy :annoyed:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Fair enough, I will quit work and go on benefits. I was pointing out that the Beeching cuts might have been damaging to transport, not asking for career advice.

You are quite right in your observations about Beeching. That was a decision typified by successive governments that have been in the thrall (and pocket) of the road transport lobby, so that mass movement of goods by rail & water has all but disappeared.

Still, I suppose it could be worse. In parts of America at the start of the 20th century, car companies bought up rail companies dug up the tracks as they saw trains as a barrier to the success of the automobile!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I spend a lot of time on motorways and as someone else posted a lot of problems are caused by those who belong the to middle lane owners club. A special badge should be made for these idiots that can then be displayed on the rear of their cars so other motorists know that its their right to be there. They really f***ing annoy me as do tossers who drive with their fog lamps on even when its not foggy :annoyed:

Spot on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For me to get the train to Weybridge for 0900 by train is three times as much and almost twice as long in time.

Blame Beeching for axing the Steyning and Cranleigh lines.

It's an interesting situation though, people who contribute to congestion moaning about congestion.

I used to commute, thought it was (literally) a waste of time and did something about by setting up work at home. I'm probably an extreme case as I find sitting in a car frustrating and totally hate driving so something had to give. I appreciate not everyone can make a change but I'm convinced more people could make some sort of change for the better if they put their mind and wit to it and took some ownership of their direction in life. At least try.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Why do drivers get so stressed and impatient? And why don't drivers get so stressed and impatient in other areas of their lives? I mean when stood behind someone at the bar you don't cosey up to them and breath down their neck until they move out of the way do you?

D

Deleted member 22389

Whats the issue?. I was in the middle lane of the m25 doing 70mph which I think is an acceptable speed, then some arsehole in his chelsea tractor came steaming up behind me, he was nearly touching my bumper, high beaming me, asking for me to get out of his way. I could not get out of his way because there was a car in front of me, and there where cars coming past in the outside lane. So why the hell did he not use the outside lane in the first place?

It's these type of fing arseholes that cause accidents and kill people and I wish they would be removed from the road period. There is no need for it. There is enough stress and hassle in life as it is, without adding to it.

For some reason when some people get in to the safety of their metal shell, they turn in to Grade A arseholes. The truth of the matter is, everyone drives in the middle lane. Eventually we will have no choice but to use public transport. We wont be going anywhere due to the amount of new traffic being added to the road everyday.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whats the issue?. I was in the middle lane of the m25 doing 70mph which I think is an acceptable speed, then some arsehole in his chelsea tractor came steaming up behind me, he was nearly touching my bumper, high beaming me, asking for me to get out of his way. I could not get out of his way because there was a car in front of me, and there where cars coming past in the outside lane. So why the hell did he not use the outside lane in the first place?

It's these type of fing arseholes that cause accidents and kill people and I wish they would be removed from the road period. There is no need for it. There is enough stress and hassle in life as it is, without adding to it.

The dumb-nut behind you has shown you his weakness, my advise would be to slow down to 60 or maybe 50 and really crank him up.

The dumb-nut behind you has shown you his weakness, my advise would be to slow down to 60 or maybe 50 and really crank him up.

All that will achieve is making said driver angrier, this will almost certainly result in a confrontation while driving increasing the likelihood of a high speed crash.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All that will achieve is making said driver angrier, this will almost certainly result in a confrontation while driving increasing the likelihood of a high speed crash.

Agree, it makes the said driver angrier, and this is the point. In fact the last time I did this the impatient driver went totally mental in his car when he eventually overtook me. He had the look and composure of how I imagine [MENTION=11956]bushy[/MENTION] reading a story about immigrants. But, I just smiled at him as he passed. I've done it a few times and it works a treat it really does; it presses the right button every single time.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Surely it would be better all round if UK drivers were educated so that they understand the inside/second lanes are perfectly usable...never ceases to amaze me just how many people sit in the middle lane (or third lane on 4 lane stretches) when there is over 1/2 mile or more of inside lane with zero traffic in it. All the while meaning everything behind them has to filter into one (outside) lane and causing a bottleneck.

Recently I've taken to sitting in the inside lane at 70 and undertaking on the M25, I've literally got from the Reigate turn (J8) to Leatherhead (J9) which must be 5 or 6 miles on numerous occasions doing so and only moving into the second lane to go round lorries.

Must admit I rarely do that swerve across three lanes thing if someone is hogging the middle at 65mph. Just have a really good look at them to make sure they're not coming back into the inside lane any time soon and cruise past in the inside lane at 70....

Was in the States in the summer and dreaded the idea of driving on the freeways where there is no overtaking lane as such. 'Undertaking' is perfectly fine. As it turned out, once you get used to checking both mirrors if you're switching lanes, it seemed a good system. I'm a convert. Surely a lot of accidents are caused as slower vehicles change lanes? Over there, they don't need to. If you're pottering along you can sit in one lane and let people go round you. And if you're in a rush, there's less frustration and road rage potential. If there's a slower car ahead you just go either side, no problem. Apart from the odd car weaving in and out, it seemed to work fine (and even then you knew they were allowed to do that so it was less annoying). Possibly need to be on your toes a little more if you're in a hurry but those happy to cruise don't have to put up with mad drivers on their bumper, flashing lights etc

While we're at it can we have left turns allowed on red lights too. So much better for traffic flow.

The only proviso on all this is that American drivers seem more courteous generally. But I think the removal of some needless frustrations probably helps that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And a message to all impatient drivers....if you're going to be late...just leave a little earlier.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
The answer to reducing rush hour traffic does not involve banning lorries or single occupancy cars but in fixing public transport.
At the moment I drive to work because it is quicker and cheaper than getting the train. There is no incentive for me to use public transport. If they can do something about that then I may well leave the car at home.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The answer to reducing rush hour traffic does not involve banning lorries or single occupancy cars but in fixing public transport.
At the moment I drive to work because it is quicker and cheaper than getting the train. There is no incentive for me to use public transport. If they can do something about that then I may well leave the car at home.

Out of interest, what and how far is your commute?

And a message to all impatient drivers....if you're going to be late...just leave a little earlier.

I've spent a good amount of time driving up and down motorways visiting clients, I have been late several times due to jams, in all this time only once did a client refuse to see me. I would rather get there late than not at all, and so it seems would my clients.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
... and at the same time reduce my commuting time.

Solution:

Ban all trucks from the M25 between 7am and 9am and between 5pm and 7pm. Simple. Why has no one else thought of this? Does the country have to wait for me to come up with all the good ideas?

The motorway is jammed with trucks at rush hours when I and thousands like me need to commute to and from work. The trucks are not carrying commuters. They can use the motorway at other times of the day and night.
And truck drivers and haulage companies will just have to plan their schedules to avoid the M25 at those times. How they do it is not my problem.

And incidentally, what is it with trucks parked in those refuge areas under some of the overpasses on the M25? Surely they're not meant as parking lay-bys? Is it Johnny Foreigner drivers who don't know the rules of the UK roads? If so, why are there not large signs saying "No Parking" in a multitude of languages?
As somone who drives daily on our road network to/from work all I can say to this is - don't complain about the traffic if you ARE the traffic

Herr Tubthumper - you are absolutely bang on about slowing down when tailgated. Someone suggested this to me a couple of years ago and I find that generally it makes the tailgater back off (which is what you really want) but when they don't they get really mad and you can see them bouncing around in their seat. The closer they get the slower I go as if I'm going to get hit by one of these idiots I'd rather it was at 30mph than 70mph

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Herr Tubthumper - you are absolutely bang on about slowing down when tailgated. Someone suggested this to me a couple of years ago and I find that generally it makes the tailgater back off (which is what you really want) but when they don't they get really mad and you can see them bouncing around in their seat. The closer they get the slower I go as if I'm going to get hit by one of these idiots I'd rather it was at 30mph than 70mph

Thanks.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Out of interest, what and how far is your commute?

Burgess Hill to New Malden, about 45 miles.

And before you say it yes it is my choice to do that but I really dont have an alternative. I could work in Burgess Hill but would probably have to drop £10k or I could move to New Malden but would probably have to trade a 3 bed house for a 2 bed flat not to mention being further away from the three F's (friends, family and Falmer).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Burgess Hill to New Malden, about 45 miles.

And before you say it yes it is my choice to do that but I really dont have an alternative. I could work in Burgess Hill but would probably have to drop £10k or I could move to New Malden but would probably have to trade a 3 bed house for a 2 bed flat not to mention being further away from the three F's (friends, family and Falmer).

Why is there a 10k difference in salary between BH and New Maldan?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here