Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT How to reduce rush hour traffic problems on the M25

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
... and at the same time reduce my commuting time.

Solution:

Ban all trucks from the M25 between 7am and 9am and between 5pm and 7pm. Simple. Why has no one else thought of this? Does the country have to wait for me to come up with all the good ideas?

The motorway is jammed with trucks at rush hours when I and thousands like me need to commute to and from work. The trucks are not carrying commuters. They can use the motorway at other times of the day and night.
And truck drivers and haulage companies will just have to plan their schedules to avoid the M25 at those times. How they do it is not my problem.

And incidentally, what is it with trucks parked in those refuge areas under some of the overpasses on the M25? Surely they're not meant as parking lay-bys? Is it Johnny Foreigner drivers who don't know the rules of the UK roads? If so, why are there not large signs saying "No Parking" in a multitude of languages?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Where will they queue/wait?
What will stop them clogging up alternative routes?
How many people will die due to extra collisions and pollution on the alternative routes?
How will this fit into a lorry driver's day (taco, etc.)?
Also pretty sure that trucks are a very small part of the traffic on the M25...

Sorry!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is the M25 the only busy motorway - no, so do trucks get banned from several motorways twice a day? So when they're caught due to traffic delays elsewhere, they all have to come off the motorway and drive through villages for 2 hours. Smashing.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Better to sort out the cause of the problem maybe? Trucks don't cause the problem you nitwit, people like you all piling into their cars at one time do. Trucks run perfectly unhindered throughout the day until you lot descend. Better solution to the problem? Idiots like you use public transport?

It's like goin to the supermarket and sayin "God, all these people! If they weren't here there's be no queues". You are one of them fool!

Last edited:

simpleton

Apr 23, 2011
Ban all private cars from the M25 during rush hour so that the goods 1000s of people are waiting for get through and aren't jammed up by endless lines of one bloke per car.

edit. Just seen what Nibble posted - spot on.

J2 BHA

NSC Patron
Jul 28, 2004
Surely it would be better all round if UK drivers were educated so that they understand the inside/second lanes are perfectly usable...never ceases to amaze me just how many people sit in the middle lane (or third lane on 4 lane stretches) when there is over 1/2 mile or more of inside lane with zero traffic in it. All the while meaning everything behind them has to filter into one (outside) lane and causing a bottleneck.

Recently I've taken to sitting in the inside lane at 70 and undertaking on the M25, I've literally got from the Reigate turn (J8) to Leatherhead (J9) which must be 5 or 6 miles on numerous occasions doing so and only moving into the second lane to go round lorries.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Get people to car share!

I used to travel from central London along the A3 to get to Reigate and being the sad bastard I am, I used to count how many cars had one occupant in it. Miles of traffic coming into London and spreading onto the M25 and 90% of the cars had one person in them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Get the train?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Surely it would be better all round if UK drivers were educated so that they understand the inside/second lanes are perfectly usable...never ceases to amaze me just how many people sit in the middle lane (or third lane on 4 lane stretches) when there is over 1/2 mile or more of inside lane with zero traffic in it. All the while meaning everything behind them has to filter into one (outside) lane and causing a bottleneck.

Recently I've taken to sitting in the inside lane at 70 and undertaking on the M25, I've literally got from the Reigate turn (J8) to Leatherhead (J9) which must be 5 or 6 miles on numerous occasions doing so and only moving into the second lane to go round lorries.

If you get on at the A3 going anti-clockwise and stick in the inside lane you can quite often get most of the way to Junction 9 going at 70mph without changing lane.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
If people knew how to drive properly most traffic queues would never occur!

Sent from my iPhone using P+ R

simpleton

Apr 23, 2011
For me to get the train to Weybridge for 0900 by train is three times as much and almost twice as long in time. Blame Beeching for axing the Steyning and Cranleigh lines.

Obviously you were already committed to working in Weybridge and living in Worthing before Beeching cut the service in 1957........

Not my fault, its the others, someone is to blame but its not me etc etc..

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
live closer to work?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Where will they queue/wait?
What will stop them clogging up alternative routes?
How many people will die due to extra collisions and pollution on the alternative routes?
How will this fit into a lorry driver's day (taco, etc.)?
Also pretty sure that trucks are a very small part of the traffic on the M25...

Sorry!

They wouldn't have to queue/wait if the truck operators scheduled their journeys to avoid the rush hours.
It would not be cost/time effective for them to use alternative routes so, as I said above, truck operators would have to plan their journeys to avoid the rush hours. Not difficult.
Fitting into a truck driver's day isn't my problem. I'm sure the operators have computer programmes which can do that.
Based on my M25 commutes I can assure you that trucks are a very LARGE part of the traffic.

It really wouldn't be difficult once trucking companies accepted the fact that they just couldn't use the M25 in rush hours. In no time at all they would readjust their operations, the M25 would be far less busy in rush hours, and my commute would be far far nicer.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Surely the horse & cart is the answer?

Or scooters?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Build 4th Lane and make 1 person per car drive and stay in that lane only. Close some of the entry points on the smaller roads and make them exit only and allow entry from the major roads like A23, A3, M3,A30, M4 etc.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I saw the most dangerous piece of driving I have ever seen today.

It was 4:30 and wet on the m25 approaching the roadworks for the new service station....in the OUTSIDE LANE a f***ing brainless git in a huge artic truck with a Portuguese number plate hammering along...so it's the 50 mph zone, and as everyone was slowing down, he decides he didn't like this so he cut over three lanes, forcing one car to swerve out of his way and drove up the arse of another car, literally 2 feet from the bumper........the other car actually pulled out of his way to the right of him and he then did the same to a van.

Even when you watch police camera action now, the amount of foreign lorry drivers breaking the law is getting rediculous.

I have driven the m25 many times in the last 30 odd years and I have never seen it as bad as it is now.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Make it seven lanes and the speed limit 200mph :tosser: the middle lane of seven is a canal that can be used by hovercraft :facepalm: :moo:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Even when you watch police camera action now, the amount of foreign lorry drivers breaking the law is getting rediculous.

We are an island so all of the foreign cars or lorries have to pass through a port with customs so why cant we issue fines to foreign vehicles exactly the same as to UK registered and then through computer linking which must be available impound and refuse an exit to the ferry for any vehicles that have a fine outstanding against them.
When the fine is paid the vehicles is released and would then have to book another crossing. How many firms would allow their lorries to be impounded and refuse exit, not very many I wouldnt think. It wouldnt definitely make the driving better but could make the drivers think a little more and respect our laws and abide by them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here