Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ot children being attacked in the classroom

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Ok just to clarify I have been told once about his behaviour in the last two years which was about 5 weeks ago He would not stand stil lduring a firedrilll he was taken out of his dinner break and told to write a letter of apology . which he did and the teachers had told me the were pleased with the way he excepted blame
I was talked by his teacher twice when he was in the kinder garden part of the school Other than that i have never had any contact from the school concerning his behaviour
Like i said i'm sure he's no angel But i just think that someone going into a class full of kids to kick off should not be taken lightly

Thanks for your honesty, but I am not sure you needed to be so specific, non of my business etc ;-)

I agree with you that another adult should not do that, but I would guess that the teacher did not know or could not stop her actions.

The focus should remain on the conduct of the parent, the school would have very little jurisdiction over a parents actions, yes they will make it clear to the parent that it is unacceptable blah blah, but cannot sanction her child and if not seen as an ongoing threat will not ban her from the school.

Undoubtedly it shouldn't have happened, but the poor teacher didn't expect it or encouraged this womans behaviour, she left home this morning in good faith to come in and teach.

The school no doubt will have a procedure that will not please both parties, they will even be having an earful from that mother of how the school didnt protect her child from your child etc and so it goes on.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Thanks for your honesty, but I am not sure you needed to be so specific, non of my business etc ;-)

I agree with you that another adult should not do that, but I would guess that the teacher did not know or could not stop her actions.

The focus should remain on the conduct of the parent, the school would have very little jurisdiction over a parents actions, yes they will make it clear to the parent that it is unacceptable blah blah, but cannot sanction her child and if not seen as an ongoing threat will not ban her from the school.

Undoubtedly it shouldn't have happened, but the poor teacher didn't expect it or encouraged this womans behaviour, she left home this morning in good faith to come in and teach.

The school no doubt will have a procedure that will not please both parties, they will even be having an earful from that mother of how the school didnt protect her child from your child etc and so it goes on.

My point still stands. The school had no right to allow a parent into the school buildings unless that parent had specifically been invited by the school and more importantly, the schools owes a duty of care to every pupil to not have to face the wrath on school premises of anyone not authorised to be there. That will be in the school plan, or school statement.

If this has failed and this parent was allowed through the front door on any other pretext then the school has failed and needs to be brought to account.

perhaps this may be in one of your policy documents?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It does in all seriousness strike me as odd that an aggressive parent could gain access not only to the school but to a specific classroom. That would genuinely worry me.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It does in all seriousness strike me as odd that an aggressive parent could gain access not only to the school but to a specific classroom. That would genuinely worry me.

exactly. what does seem a trivial issue to some, may actually be a very serious breach of security and if I was still a governor, that would be the first question to ask the head

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
My point still stands. The school had no right to allow a parent into the school buildings unless that parent had specifically been invited by the school and more importantly, the schools owes a duty of care to every pupil to not have to face the wrath on school premises of anyone not authorised to be there. That will be in the school plan, or school statement.

If this has failed and this parent was allowed through the front door on any other pretext then the school has failed and needs to be brought to account.

perhaps this may be in one of your policy documents?

Utter rubbish, you obviously do not spend time around schools.

Parents are actively encouraged to approach teachers and therefore have access to the school building, yes during teaching time this is discouraged but there are meetings, pick ups from after school clubs, parents trying to find lost clothing, new intakes, parent readers the list goes on, teachers themselves would love to omit parents from their life, but I am afraid they are part of the dynamic of schools.

Any determined parent could easily act in the way that that mother did, however thankfully this rarely happens and the alternative of 'lock down' is far more unattractive.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

It was a parent of another child ( I am guessing of the same class ), when she became aggressive we do not know.

She doesn't sign in 'aggressive parent' she cheeringly says hi ive come to collect 'Chardonnay'.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Utter rubbish, you obviously do not spend time around schools.

Parents are actively encouraged to approach teachers and therefore have access to the school building, yes during teaching time this is discouraged but there are meetings, pick ups from after school clubs, parents trying to find lost clothing, new intakes, parent readers the list goes on, teachers themselves would love to omit parents from their life, but I am afraid they are part of the dynamic of schools.

Any determined parent could easily act in the way that that mother did, however thankfully this rarely happens and the alternative of 'lock down' is far more unattractive.

really. as someone who has first hand knowledge of local schools I would challenge that. Please enlighten me with schools who have an open door policy.

i agree with your arguement but where this appears to have been a confrontation between a parent and a child, with no teacher present ( didnt the OP suggest the supply had left) then this appears at face value to be a failure

macky

Dec 28, 2004

Part of the problem is that the teacher seemed t oside wit hthe parent at first Before changing her story I can understand that she may have been affraid especilay as the woman too ka friend along Which is something else that should be addressed Maybe she did go with the intention of seeing the teacher and doing things the right way But why did she feel the need to drag a friend along ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Part of the problem is that the teacher seemed t oside wit hthe parent at first Before changing her story I can understand that she may have been affraid especilay as the woman too ka friend along Which is something else that should be addressed Maybe she did go with the intention of seeing the teacher and doing things the right way But why did she feel the need to drag a friend along ?

personally I think you should take this up with teh management of the school

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It was a parent of another child ( I am guessing of the same class ), when she became aggressive we do not know.

She doesn't sign in 'aggressive parent' she cheeringly says hi ive come to collect 'Chardonnay'.

Yes, good point. However, for the safety of kids, teachers etc this should be reviewed. My ex of ten years taught primary at Moulescoomb (that how you spell it?) for 6 years and I'm fairly certain parents weren't allowed aross the threshold during the day without prior arrangement.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

I agree, but surely it is the actions of those adults that needs confronting, yes with the help of the school, but without full-time security staff or lock down in your child's primary school any adult could find their way to a teacher.

It needn't sound so terrifying as luckily any serious incidents remain very rare and the benefits of openness are great.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
personally I think you should take this up with teh management of the school

[/I]
I im the process of doing that at the moment But it does not help that the teacher has Gone on the missing list

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
really. as someone who has first hand knowledge of local schools I would challenge that. Please enlighten me with schools who have an open door policy.

i agree with your arguement but where this appears to have been a confrontation between a parent and a child, with no teacher present ( didnt the OP suggest the supply had left) then this appears at face value to be a failure

Nearly every request from the need to speak to the teacher, to little johnny has left his coat, to a chat with a teacher about a personal matter would generally be accepted without an appointment and good for teachers for accommodating those requests, even if it isnt particularly helpful if they have tomorrows planning to do, but typically they see them.

We all try and assess risk and teachers have access to files upon files that might indicate such.

In this instance it seems that an aggrieved mother has wrongly berated another child, the teacher is likely to be particularly upset, you might want to go after the school and the teacher, I would prefer to address the behaviour of the adults first.

macky

Dec 28, 2004

The supply teacher was there at the time But from what a can gather was rather imtimidated by the parent and her friend
Which made me wonder Just how would up the woman was The school when i last spoke to them said that they could not reach the teacher So was she so traumatised that she feels she cant answer her phone ?? becuause i know that if iwere in her postion i would be making myself avaliable to the school ?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The supply teacher was there at the time But from what a can gather was rather imtimidated by the parent and her friend
Which made me wonder Just how would up the woman was The school when i last spoke to them said that they could not reach the teacher So was she so traumatised that she feels she cant answer her phone ?? becuause i know that if iwere in her postion i would be making myself avaliable to the school ?

The teacher has a right to feel safe and secure as does your child, focus on the adult, the teacher didnt flee the scene of your child's incident !!!

The reason she hasnt picked up her phone we just dont know.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
A supply teacher ain't gonna bother getting involved in this quarrel unless ordered to by an authority. It's just not worth their while and I can see their side of it.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
The teacher has a right to feel safe and secure as does your child, focus on the adult, the teacher didnt flee the scene of your child's incident !!!

The reason she hasnt picked up her phone we just dont know.

Sorry what im trying to get across is that if she felt fear How do you think the child felt All of which im guessing But there are ways of shouting at a child and there are ways And if (as seems to be ) The teacher was scared then this is much than the woman just telling my son off As i said im guessing because so far threee days later the school still have'nt updated me

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
[/I]
I im the process of doing that at the moment But it does not help that the teacher has Gone on the missing list

They do that. One left my son in class with a broken arm for 3 hours a couple of years back. When I went up the school to complain she was no where to be seen and didn't even have the decency to ring us even though the head told me she was horrified with what she had done. " He was too brave, we didn't realise how bad it was" they told me.
How we laughed.
The point is that the teachers are not always right.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
A supply teacher ain't gonna bother getting involved in this quarrel unless ordered to by an authority. It's just not worth their while and I can see their side of it.
welll i dont know what auththority you mean ? the school who were her employers ? She's not answering there calls The angency ? she was not speaking to them either And also lets not forget the her version of what happened changed by the time she reported it ??

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
welll i dont know what auththority you mean ? the school who were her employers ? She's not answering there calls The angency ? she was not speaking to them either And also lets not forget the her version of what happened changed by the time she reported it ??

Don't know enough about school authorities to answer but I'm guessing if she is required to relay her version of events she will be told to do so. Otherwise, as a supply teacher I really can't see her bothering to get involved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here