Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscars / Avatar ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Although I have yet to see The Hurtlocker I`m glad it beat Avatar to win the main awards last night. OK give Cameron`s film an award like ''Best blue character in a CGI movie with a budget of over 300 million'' by all means but if it had won best film or best director I would have lost all respect for the Academy.
Glad to see 'Inglorious' get recognition.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Film snobbery is one of my main hates. its the" Kermode " school of criticism. If it makes a lot of money and lots of people watch it and enjoy it I will say it is shit as it makes me feel superior. It was a shu in the Bigelow would win as the academy usually go for the " serious " films and do not follow the box office apart from the techincal awards usually. I am pleased as it will open up her back catelogue and the criminally underrated Strange Days may be looked at again which is much better than the Hurt Locker which whilst good was probably the weakest Oscar winner for many years. I am glad Bridges won as he is one of my favourite actors and should have first landed the oscar in Starman. Overall the winners were very predictable.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Film snobbery is one of my main hates. its the" Kermode " school of criticism. If it makes a lot of money and lots of people watch it and enjoy it I will say it is shit as it makes me feel superior. It was a shu in the Bigelow would win as the academy usually go for the " serious " films and do not follow the box office apart from the techincal awards usually. I am pleased as it will open up her back catelogue and the criminally underrated Strange Days may be looked at again which is much better than the Hurt Locker which whilst good was probably the weakest Oscar winner for many years. I am glad Bridges won as he is one of my favourite actors and should have first landed the oscar in Starman. Overall the winners were very predictable.

Do you think maybe Sam Worthington should have got the best actor award then for his deep and yet sympathetic portrayal of the character Jake Tully in Avatar.
And as for wanting to open up Ms Bigelow`s back catalogue.......... well.
Bridges is always good to watch though and for the record I think Kermode is just a prick and not a snob at all.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Patton_Scott.jpg

George C Scott after refusing the Oscar in 1970:

"The whole thing is a goddamn meat parade. I don't want any part of it."

A truly puke-inducing spectacle, only surpassed in crassness by the two-bob "BAFTAS", "Brits" and Robbie Williams winning the "outstanding contribution to music award". Or maybe that was an ironic in-joke? If it was it certainly was, to quote a man more talented than 99% of luvvies, "a cracker"

Who really cares about the increasingly myriad different ways out of touch squillionaires can fellate themselves and their egos in public?

Who cried this year then dedicated their "win" to Greenpeace/Palestine/Mom/Blacks/Obama/Wimmen/dead Aunty Nellie? (delete where applicable)

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
the hurt locker divides opinion like no other film i have known. my dad and brother liked it , while i thought it was rubbish. avatar was a better film in my opinion. yeh it was cheesy but visually the most stunning film ever made imho

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Hahahah. The old Spielberg Film Snobbery Defence. face it US you like gash films. While some may have enjoyed Avatar, anyone with any taste thought it was cornhole. You know it, I know it and every bubble headed freak that crash lands to earth knows it.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I haven't seen it but $ 2 600 000 000 at the box office suggests to me lots of people thought it was very good.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I haven't seen it but $ 2 600 000 000 at the box office suggests to me lots of people thought it was very good.

That's okay, you judge a film by what others thought of it, I judge a film by what I thought of it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I must have missed something here, rather like Brokeback Mountain The Hurt Locker is remarkably tedious.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

The number of people who went back to see it again would suggest to me how good it is, the advertising budget got people to see it the first time and the "its not been done before so it must be brilliant", broke all the records and generated much of the figure you quote.

I cannot pass judgement personally as I havent seen it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Oscars is such a tedious, contrived, backslapping snoozefest I'm surprised anyone bothers with it any more, let alone gives any credence to it. Expanding the nominations for Best Picture from 5 to 10 was such just blatantly cynical excercise to double-up on the number of film posters which can subsequently carry the "Nominated Best Picture 2010" banner, as if this is some kind of stamp of proven quality.

Avatars good (although not really groundbreaking or lifechanging as the hype would have you believe). Best film for me was undoubtedly Inglorius Basterds, but I dunno what they judge these things by. They lost me forever when Forrest Gump trumped Pulp Fiction and Shawshank for Best picture in 94.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
I am pleased as it will open up her back catelogue and the criminally underrated Strange Days may be looked at again which is much better than the Hurt Locker which whilst good was probably the weakest Oscar winner for many years.

I saw Strange Days in Seattle on the week of release.

Back at the hotel afterwards, I was telling a friend how good (note: not great) it was.

But he reckoned the new movie he'd seen at the same time was even better. One of the greatest of all time, in fact.

It was called Se7en. And he was right. :(

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But he reckoned the new movie he'd seen at the same time was even better. One of the greatest of all time, in fact.

It was called Se7en. And he was right. :(

Yes, he was bang on. Se7en is superb, with fantastic performances from Paltrow, Pitt and Freeman. Not even nominated though.
The 1995 nominations were:

Braveheart (winner)
Babe
Apollo 13
Il Postino
Sense and Sensibility

:facepalm:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Yes, it is also true popularity does not necessarily mean it is gash either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here