Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscars / Avatar ?

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
You think what you like. I KNOW you are a lonely, out of work, divorced alcoholic who can't keep a girlfriend for toffee with a gambling problem and a penchant for mail order brides who takes this forum way too seriously so glass houses etc US. :)

Obviously I don't know you Nibble, but you do come across as a nasty, strange, bitter and rather sad man.

I think you deserve an oscar Nible for your outstanding contribution to binfestery. Step forward that man and take a bow.

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
I think its pretty sad that everytime someone mentions who wins is by mentioning the budget, it has nothing to do with what makes a film the best. I did not like the hurt locker, thought it was crap like ladder 49. Having a massive budget would not make it better. When titanic swept the boards with its massive budget I did not hear anyone screaming to give the award to some film no one has heard of just to show them. Avatar is a good film. In this modern film era where every successful movie is just tedious boobs and explosions (transformers and dark knight) or some kind of rape ham horror, I was pleasantly surprised with the Avatar and will watch more movies like that than what has been served up in the past. As many people point out award shows like do not serve much of a point as really we all have our opinions of what was really the best each year. The hurt locker will become some forgotten war movie played on some redneck american tv channel on repeat all day with the blue collar comedy tour. whereas avatar will live forever.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I dont like science fiction, and Avatar is described as a science fiction epic. Probably not my cup of tea. Was it on at The Duke of Yorks?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I enjoyed Avatar as it something different and visually appealing but the dialogue was TOILET. All the money was spent on it looking good and the writing certainly suffered, some of it was really quite cringeworthy.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The hurt locker will become some forgotten war movie played on some redneck american tv channel on repeat all day with the blue collar comedy tour. whereas avatar will live forever.

I disagree. Not about hurt locker necessarily.

But Avatar is a film experience. It will lose a massive amount or its sparkle when watching at home for the overwhelming majority of people.

By the time 3d, 7.1 dolby digital surround sound, high definition, home cinema systems are common place enough for Avatar to impress at home, the amazing special effects will be passe, and will be far eclipsed by future technological advances.

It will be just another old film which was great for it's time, but now has to rely on it's story and it's performances and while they may be decent, they are not generation crossing performances.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In this modern film era where every successful movie is just tedious boobs and explosions (transformers and dark knight).

How can you possibly group those films together?! They are nothing alike. The Dark Knight is a stunning film with an excellent plot and a superb performance from Heath Ledger. Transformers is one of the worst films of all time.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Strange really that if you look at the list of Best Picture winners over the years they have plumped for some total dross but on the whole get it right when a REAL classic comes along.(Apart from Pulp Fiction obviously) Not so many great films being made nowadays though in my opinion.
3 of my favourite films of all time are included in the following 5 year block and the other 2 - The Sting and The French Connection are both excellant.

1971 (44th) The French Connection
1972 (45th) The Godfather
1973 (46th) The Sting
1974 (47th) The Godfather Part II
1975 (48th) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Then you get a run like this and think maybe they should be scrapped.

1995 (68th) Braveheart
1996 (69th) The English Patient
1997 (70th) Titanic
1998 (71st) Shakespeare in Love

I mean BRAVEHEART for fucks sake.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think the English Patient is a fabulous piece of film making personally.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
'Moon' was the best film over the last 12 months imo.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Although I have yet to see The Hurtlocker I`m glad it beat Avatar to win the main awards last night. OK give Cameron`s film an award like ''Best blue character in a CGI movie with a budget of over 300 million'' by all means but if it had won best film or best director I would have lost all respect for the Academy.
Glad to see 'Inglorious' get recognition.

Crikey, who would have thought that after your missus bought you Halliwell's Film Guide for your birthday 4 years ago we would end up here ? Stop being so eliteist and snobby, Avatar was not perfect but is visually stunning....I'm going to buy you some Harveys for your next birthday if you don't stop moaning !

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
A lot of pretencous wank in this thread. A film is supposed to entertain you nothing more.

I f***ing loved Avatar but some of it was so comical that if it won best picture then so should have the 6 star wars films.

It is politicly contrived, ego fluffing dross on a stick. The only reason the smurfs do terminator was in the running was its evil whites/americans analogy.

I doubt ive seen many oscar winners for best picture in recent years as I'm not into leftwing wankfests, the last one I saw was American beauty and that was pointless yawn inducing shit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here