Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscars / Avatar ?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Avatar isn't a classic because it's completely predictable.

It's visually nice to watch sure, but the storyline is average and the acting sure isnt anything special.

Not a film you wanted recorded in the annals of film history as a truly great film.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
The fight scene,the shootout in the desert the pursuit down alleyways the solo foray into town and the lead characters macho behaviour all seemed a bit silly in what was a very long and at best very average film.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think the Oscars needs modernising with a few more categories of relevance to people. I don't care who wins the Oscar for "Best make-up in a period drama" or other such bollocks. But I'd be tuning in if they were running through the short-list of "Films most likely to get you cracking one off."

And the winner is Barb Wire.

Pamela_Anderson_Barb_Wire.jpg

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I haven't seen it but $ 2 600 000 000 at the box office suggests to me lots of people thought it was very good.

It suggests to me lots of people felt they had to see it, and had to pay more than a regular ticket to pay for the 3d experience.

The criticisms of Avatar are not film snobbery.

The oscar gets award to "the best film" not "the best cinema experience". Avatar was the latter. It was predictable, cheesey, but it was a fun experience. Everyone I've spoken to about the film have said "the effects were amazing, alright it's not the most original story/it's a bit predicatble/cheesy/etc, but wow, it looks great!"

Oscar awarded the film accordingly. It got rewarded for its effects, for the wow factor.

The story, the acting - the "meat and potatoes" of a film - were not oscar worthy. Not because it was a popular film, but because the acting and writing wasn't good enough. It would be a crime for a film that contains neither writing or acting of a standard deemed good enough for oscar nomination to win "best film".

Avatar will, I'm sure, clean up at the MTV movie awards.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I can't believe the last Harry Potter didn't win Best Film...that was excellent!!!

I went off the Oscars when James Bond Films constantly were overlooked.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Yes, it is also true popularity does not necessarily mean it is gash either.

So box office takings are the mark of a good film? Titanic was the biggest film of all time and by your logic that makes it the BEST FILM EVER MADE. Now the samw for Avatar. You are seriously telling me that Avatar and Titanic are the " BEST FILMS IN THE WORL EVER MADE EVER?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Box office takings are never a good indicator of how good a film is. All it shows is how much money is made. The tickets for avatar were all much more expensive because you're paying for 3D. I heard reports of some tickets at imax 3d places being close to $50 - that's 3-5 times the typical ticket price.

Also, ticket sales don't indicate who bought them. Is it 100 people going to watch it again and again, or 20 million watching it twice?

Why are people watching it? Because they are taking their kids? Because they're boyfriend wants to? Because they've been told it's good by friends? Because it looks good? Because it's the hip film and they don't want to miss out on the conversations?

100million people could have gone to see it once, payed the $20 for the 3d tickets, and walked out with motion sickness after 30mins, and the film would still be said to have taken $2bn

All a box office figure tells us is how much money was made.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So box office takings are the mark of a good film? Titanic was the biggest film of all time and by your logic that makes it the BEST FILM EVER MADE. Now the samw for Avatar. You are seriously telling me that Avatar and Titanic are the " BEST FILMS IN THE WORL EVER MADE EVER?

FFS Nibble get off my f*cking case and stop trying to make me look like a c*nt with your pseudo intellectural bullshit. Where exactly did I saw Avatar and Titanic were the best 2 films ever made as they are the top 2 in the box office ?, where exactly, er you can't because I didn't f&cking say it did I. I have just offered the outrageous counter argument to your " if a film made any money it must be shit " argument. And Cobra is the biggest slice of turd ever made so its a bit rich having a pop at Cameron.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Cobra!!! HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAA! You numpty. You put so much faith in takings that it stands to reason the natural conclusion of your bumbling, incoherant idea is that the bigger the takings the better the film ergo the biggest takings mean the best films. You should try and understand your own argument before posting.

I never had a pop at Cameron or that if a film makes money it's shit. Aliens, loved it, prime example. You just have the same taste in films as a twelve year old schoolgirl.

However I would like to take you out to the cinema US and show you a film that may open your eyes up to other options. We can sit on the back seats and feed each other Haribo with our fingers up our bottoms. I can bring a 12 yr old with me if you like. Oui?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I give up. All I said is that a lot of people liked Avatar, I haven't even f***ing seen it. It makes their opinon no less valid than yours just because you happen to have been an extra in a few films half a dozen people in the UK have seen. I think you may have a hugechip on your shoulder mate.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I give up. All I said is that a lot of people liked Avatar, I haven't even f***ing seen it. It makes their opinon no less valid than yours just because you happen to have been an extra in a few films half a dozen people in the UK have seen. I think you may have a hugechip on your shoulder mate.

You think what you like. I KNOW you are a lonely, out of work, divorced alcoholic who can't keep a girlfriend for toffee with a gambling problem and a penchant for mail order brides who takes this forum way too seriously so glass houses etc US. :)

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
gareth...chill.

You must remember that Nibble is an actor himself so he can see himself in some way alligned with those of his profession who are receiving awards...which is fair enough.

I don't go along with all of this analysing films....at the end of the day, you either like it or don't....I go to the cinema ( not often mark you) to be entertained...I don't go for some deep thinking stuff, or horror as I don't find it entertaining ( I get enough of that at the Albion)

As I said, man for All seasons IMHO is a marvellous well acted film

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This may come as a shock to you but the Cinema industry is a business. Like any business it needs to make money to survive. They likes of Avatar making billions is good news for the industry. If it relied on all the " worthy " films which make no money every cinema in the USA and UK would close.

I think a mixture of box office hits and less mainstream films is about right.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Where did I say that the industry making money is a bad thing. I just happened to state that because a film makes money it doesn't mean it is good. That seems to have upset you for some reason. You get personal way to quickly on these film threads and get all weepy when it is dished back to you. Idiot. I shall go and play with adults

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You think what you like. I KNOW you are a lonely, out of work, divorced alcoholic who can't keep a girlfriend for toffee with a a gambling problem and a penchant for mail order brides who takes this forum way too seriously so glass houses etc US.

Is this Slander , lonely - maybe sometimes, divorced- yes, can't keep a girlfriend for toffee well 2 stuck with me for 17 years in total so I must have something going for me, alcoholic - my 50 units is about what you consumed on the other thread, gambling problem - not likely as I have no money at the moment, mail order brides - do you mean my Malaysian partner who has lived in the UK for 35 years and has brought up 2 children here ?, try again

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Oh forgot out of work , nope, its been tough beyond anything you could have imagined for the last 2 years but I am still trying very hard.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This may come as a shock to you but the Cinema industry is a business. Like any business it needs to make money to survive. They likes of Avatar making billions is good news for the industry. If it relied on all the " worthy " films which make no money every cinema in the USA and UK would close.

I think a mixture of box office hits and less mainstream films is about right.

Quite. But oscar more than any other awards will help bump a film's takings. DVD sales, box office takings etc will go up based on the nominations and wins. The american football biopic will sell more tickets in britain because it is sandra's oscar winning performance, the film about a country music guy will sell a lot more tickets because it's jeff bridge's oscar winning performance.

Rental and sales of the hurt locker will go up now it's an oscar winner and the idea of a political bias has been somewhat dismissed with the show and the speeches that will be replayed on news and entertainment shows for the next few days.

Does avatar need the oscar bump?

Another argument that it isn't about film snobbery, it's more about giving attention to the smaller films.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Fair enough Acker. You can at least offer a reasoned argument.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Oh forgot out of work , nope, its been tough beyond anything you could have imagined for the last 2 years but I am still trying very hard.

Yes, you see. Not always the most accurate thing is it US, to presume things about a person's life that you have never met? Quite. :p:love:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here