Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Only 900 tickets for general sale per match at Amex

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No, the max capacity without moving the roof is more like 30,000.
I thought it was 30k with an additional tier and moving the roof? Can you honesty see 7,500 additional seats made available by filling in the current corners? They are fairly small at each end of the ground because the north and south stands don't appear to go very far back.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We were told 30k by the guy who took us on the viewing platform, that's corners filled and second tier on the east
Indeed. I think they'd have to increase the size of the stands behind the goals to increase it to 35,000 which I can't ever see happening.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Fun and games getting 35,000 in and out and to and from Falmer ,eh!

Be worse than getting away from Stoke, Wycombe or MK because there'll be thousands waiting for a train or bus instead of sitting in our cars listening to the phone in!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I thought it was 30k with an additional tier and moving the roof? Can you honesty see 7,500 additional seats made available by filling in the current corners? They are fairly small at each end of the ground because the north and south stands don't appear to go very far back.

The roof will NOT be moved.
If an extra tier is put in over the East, it will "slot in" under the current one.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Indeed. Surely they'll push the button that says "apply for permission" as soon as season tix sell out. I wonder what sort of additional capacity they will provide? I'm assuming it'll be around 2,000 extra seats, with another 5,000 if they ever add another tier to the East.

22,500 with the ability to fill in the corners and add a stand to the east making the maximum size of the ground 35,000 :) east stand sounds fairly big and you will fit about 1000 seats a corner i reckon

Please don't shoot the messenger: When my wife and I had the tour of the stadium a couple of weeks ago I'm pretty sure Martin Perry told us the corners can take the best part of 2000 seats each (I think he then said 1800 each), you have to see the corners to get a feel for how big they are. As for the tier on the East side, all the infrastructure is there, the stadium has been designed to accomodate it and the supports and stuff are already there, also the tier and the corners can be fitted without closing the stadium, meaning the work can be done without losing any seats during the process. The tier, I am sure he said, is between 4-5000 seats, so all in all, the potential is an extra 11K - 12K seats if all the work was done.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
In the approximately 60 years the Goldstone had a capacity of over 30,000, how many times did we go over the magic 30,000 barrier? My guess is less than 20.

Please don't shoot the messenger: When my wife and I had the tour of the stadium a couple of weeks ago I'm pretty sure Martin Perry told us the corners can take the best part of 2000 seats each (I think he then said 1800 each), you have to see the corners to get a feel for how big they are.

Really? Don't the entire North and South stands only hold around 2,500 each?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
What's the procedure for filling the corners once permission is granted? Will it have to be done over the summer? Or could we bosh them in, over say a two week period without any home games? Must be pretty quick I would have thought.

Edit, just seen Superphil's post which sort of answers this

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Yes,but the direct debit option is so good that I've bought ten for myself.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think Simster was about right with his earlier guesstimate. 500 seats per corner = 2000, plus about another 5,000 on a 2nd tier for the East, taking us up to around 30k.

The corners, when filled, are designed to go back as far as the back of the lower West tier, and the north and south tiers, creating one entire lower tier going round the whole stadium.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

I know what you mean, but if you look at the corners they are very big spaces, and as I said, I think he rounded it down to 1800 per corner, which is quite a lot less than the north and south stands, perhaps they can go up higher at the back of the corners. Looking at the photos of the corner areas you can see what I mean, they really are quite big saces. Then again, if I am wrong then I apologise, but surely it's more than 1800 in total for all the corners, looking at the photo, mmm, they are big, but they aren't that big are they?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 672
Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Exactly. Actually, they hold even less than that don't they? Superphil's information doesn't sound right to me at all. I'd have thought the corners filled in woudl be an addition 2,000 or so in total plus the additional tier. ???

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
In fairness, the ones adjoining the west are quite big:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Less convinced about the opposite side though:

attachment.php

There may or may not be many tickets on general sale if we do sell as many season tickets as now looks likely, which I'm sure is more than the club thought.

But there are quite a lot of people who bought season tickets - like me - who will only go to a relatively few games due to where they live.

Yes the first few games will sell out but as the novelty wears off I'm sure there will be a fair number of season ticket holders who will be looking to sell their tickets for some of the games, especially the less attractive ones or if, heaven forfend, we are not doing very well.

My advice would be to identify a season ticket holder who lives a long way away and be VERY nice to them :whistle:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The corners aren't just the corners - the north and south stands don't extend all the way along the ends, probably not as far as the corner flag. The corner with the vehicle access gate can't be fully filled in obviously.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I would have thought they'd be a lot more than 500 seats per corner, closer to 1000 I would have thought. Would be very surprised if you could fit 1800 in each one. Needs someone like JS who has been inside recently to have a good idea exactly how much room there is there

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here