Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Online dating

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Good for you if you can pick and choose. You must be a hot date my friend. I have had a quick look at the dating site I went on 2 years ago and reactivated it. Dozens of pages within 10 miles of Brighton but not one suitable and by the looks of it a lot of bunny boilers. It's like finding a grain of gold amoungst a mountain of coal. There is no chance here, hopeless. Reading the profiles they all want the " shining knight in armour to save their lives " but do they ?, once they get that it would not be enough I would think.

You,re acting mad again aren't,t you ?

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
I am in the planning stages of getting married to a lovely young Russian lady (16 years my junior 1 year older than you Sergei's Celebration) I met on a free dating site (OK Cupid) as the others say try a few sites, be careful, be selective, look to make friends first and let things grow from there. I was on a few tried a lot of different things made some lovely friends around the globe.

Nothing different to online dating really to meeting strangers at a club or in a pub or anywhere else and you need caution in both but it is a global society now the Internet and other instant communication systems have seen to that.

Now to convince the UK govt of this fact :)

For the record Sergei's Celebration one of the possibles I looked into further for want of a better phrase was a Sargent in the US military, (Military Intelligence, yes I know an oxymoron where the US are concerned) also 1 year older than you, so as far as I was concerned no it would not have been a barrier being in the military it is the person not what they do for a living that matters.

I am in the planning stages of getting married to a lovely young Russian lady (16 years my junior 1 year older than you Sergei's Celebration) I met on a free dating site (OK Cupid) as the others say try a few sites, be careful, be selective, look to make friends first and let things grow from there. I was on a few tried a lot of different things made some lovely friends around the globe.

Ok, and how did you communicate....does she speak fluent English, and did you and she go on looks or personality?

missrussia.jpg

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You,re acting mad again aren't,t you ?

No mate. I am quite philosophical about the situation. I have too much baggage and too much going against me now to have any realistic chance of having a successful relationship in the future. That was proved to me when the last one managed nearly a year with me. Fair play to her I say. You have to go into a relationship with something on the table to have a chance. So I will watch from the sidelines and good luck to everyone. There are a lot of successful stories it seems.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
No mate. I am quite philisophical about the situation. I have too much baggage and too much going against me now to have any realistic chance of having a successful relationship in the future. That was proved to me when the last one managed nearly a year with me. Fair play to her I say. You have to go into a relationship with something on the table to have a chance. So I will watch from the sidelines and good luck to everyone. There are a lot of successful stories it seems.

Jeez man - you really can find the cruddy end of the stick in any situation - and please - sometimes you have to give up the whole 'Woe is me' shit. You post a lot insightful stuff on here and then seem to go tino a downturn every few weeks where everything is just shite.

If you carry on doing what you are doing then you will get the same result. Try quitting the blame culture and look at what you could change. There are so many people out there (me included) who have lost everyhting in recent years - companies going bust, people leaving you in a relationship and loved ones passing on.

But it's down to you old fruit - start loving yourself, start thinking about what you are going to do to change - honestly - even if it's only small things you change the feeling of empowerment and accountability becomes a huge energy for bigger change.

Or of course you could sit at home, staring at the internet perpetuating the myth that it's not your fault, it's everyone else and it's all so dreadfully unfair.

MAN the f*** UP!!!!! And I mean that in a nice way. :)

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Jeez man - you really can find the cruddy end of the stick in any situation - and please - sometimes you have to give up the whole 'Woe is me' shit. You post a lot insightful stuff on here and then seem to go tino a downturn every few weeks where everything is just shite.

If you carry on doing what you are doing then you will get the same result. Try quitting the blame culture and look at what you could change. There are so many people out there (me included) who have lost everyhting in recent years - companies going bust, people leaving you in a relationship and loved ones passing on.

But it's down to you old fruit - start loving yourself, start thinking about what you are going to do to change - honestly - even if it's only small things you change the feeling of empowerment and accountability becomes a huge energy for bigger change.

Or of course you could sit at home, staring at the internet perpetuating the myth that it's not your fault, it's everyone else and it's all so dreadfully unfair.

MAN the f*** UP!!!!! And I mean that in a nice way. :)

I have not said " woe is me " but unless people know the facts facts about other people's situations they can't possibly comment. Infact I am accepting of my situation now. You need to have something behind you and a bit of mojo for any chance. That is just the way it is. Good luck though.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Why are you accepting of your situation - and yet consistently post hugely cynical stuff........8 inches and £40k per anum????? You cannot have it both ways. One the one hand you believe that its all about material things and that is all women are interested in - and yet you claim to be accepting of your situation - clearly you aren't!

Either re-invent yourself if you believe that is the problem or stop telling everyone that the world is a dark place but you accept that. You have posted countless times about the disasters in the mortgage industry. You post some frankly appalling sweeping statements about women - but then claim you accept all this.

I don't get it. Not that its your place to explain to me - you dont know me from Adam - but posting this in a forum is designed I suspect to get a recation - and it does. You flounce, you come back, you moan, you accept - so many contradictions.

Its completely down to you. You can change if you want to change. But I cannot help but feel that there is some strange self-destruct button that you seem to enjoy hitting,. perhaps the truth is you actually enjoy an element of the morose in your life - or that you are in danger of becoming a real-life version of your NSC caricature. Who knows.

Good luck as you say.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Why are you accepting of your situation - and yet consistently post hugely cynical stuff........8 inches and £40k per anum????? You cannot have it both ways. One the one hand you believe that its all about material things and that is all women are interested in - and yet you claim to be accepting of your situation - clearly you aren't!

Either re-invent yourself if you believe that is the problem or stop telling everyone that the world is a dark place but you accept that. You have posted countless times about the disasters in the mortgage industry. You post some frankly appalling sweeping statements about women - but then claim you accept all this.

I don't get it. Not that its your place to explain to me - you dont know me from Adam - but posting this in a forum is designed I suspect to get a recation - and it does. You flounce, you come back, you moan, you accept - so many contradictions.

Its completely down to you. You can change if you want to change. But I cannot help but feel that there is some strange self-destruct button that you seem to enjoy hitting,. perhaps the truth is you actually enjoy an element of the morose in your life - or that you are in danger of becoming a real-life version of your NSC caricature. Who knows.

Good luck as you say.

That's your opinion, fine.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
That's your opinion, fine.

Digweeds Trousers' straight-talking could potentially make a big contribution to you. It's not The Truth but perhaps more than a modicum of truth in there. Please stop fighting and resisting what he is saying, and try it on for a week or so. If it doesn't work for you at the end of that time, then fine. Go back to your usual ways of relating to yourself and others. The fact you are not willing to even consider what he is saying suggests he's on the money.

In my opinion.

seagurl

Mar 21, 2012
I met the current Mrs Shearwater online (well, we're not married but its been 11 years now and we have bought a house together).

She was the only non-nutter on the website though. And that includes me.
Interesting that this was your only search criteria One up from just having a pulse! .

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Just don't beat yourself up US. I know the world can really do that for you sometimes, seemingly saving you the energy to do so, but in its heart the planet recognises you are decent enough and isn't out to get you. Best to think how sickening a ride in the helix of doom is and slow the journey down down with some thrusting of the thoughts of what's been on your side, of what you've been lucky to experience, of those unforgettable moments laced with pleasure and pride. There should be plenty and they ought be able to help silence the more despairing ones. We need a process when we notice a problem, so find yours and stick to it as best you can until you forget why you're on it and it all seems natural. Then women won't seem such rotters-in-waiting and you can live or die without them, hopefully.
Sorry if i seem condescending.

Lush

Mods' Pet
If you need support, a shallow relationship is probably not the answer, but counselling might be. And you're more likely to get it from a trained counsellor - who will listen, help you find your own answers, and not judge you - than on here.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
If you need support, a shallow relationship is probably not the answer, but counselling might be. And you're more likely to get it from a trained counsellor - who will listen, help you find your own answers, and not judge you - than on here.

A friend of mine has a hot, fresh out of college psychologist who i was partly agog at when he and i bumped into her on a bus a few weeks ago. I can see why he's booking so many sessions, but can also see why he seems no better. :)

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Just don't beat yourself up US. I know the world can really do that for you sometimes, seemingly saving you the energy to do so, but in its heart the planet recognises you are decent enough and isn't out to get you. Best to think how sickening a ride in the helix of doom is and slow the journey down down with some thrusting of the thoughts of what's been on your side, of what you've been lucky to experience, of those unforgettable moments laced with pleasure and pride. There should be plenty and they ought be able to help silence the more despairing ones. We need a process when we notice a problem, so find yours and stick to it as best you can until you forget why you're on it and it all seems natural. Then women won't seem such rotters-in-waiting and you can live or die without them, hopefully.
Sorry if i seem condescending.

I am learning and need to correct quite a few facets about myself and better my position first and to realise I do not need a Woman on my arm to validate who I am. Until and if that happens I am out of " the game ".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here