Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Olympic torch arrives in Sussex tomorrow

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Saw it twice in Worthing – outside the Guildbourne and then a few mins later at the top of Steyne Gardens. The first time it was being carried by a young girl and the second time by an old and obviously disabled woman. Didn’t know either of their backgrounds but the old lady was walking (with difficulty) with a stick in one hand and the torch in the other. Right behind her was a helper with her wheelchair. She was obviously in some discomfort but she had such a broad smile and was really enjoying herself. I felt quite uplifted seeing her determination to complete her stint on her own – you could almost describe it as Olympic spirit.
OK, so you have to go to these things with the right attitude of mind (and I’m someone that used to enjoy the Worthing Carnival on August Bank Holiday – even though the reality was a few dressed up coal lorries and the Sally Army band) but I believe you have to get what you can out of life. The alternative is to close the curtains and curl up in the corner muttering ‘bah humbug!’ - or stick to your virtual reality gaming.
For those people that ‘wouldn’t go to see it even if it was at the end of my street’ I just wonder what you would go to see.

Last edited:

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
VG family event at the County Ground tonight- some local celebs about

Just hope we get some sunshine for cricket at Hove- it is meant to be summer!!

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Saw it twice in Worthing – outside the Guildbourne and then a few mins later at the top of Steyne Gardens. The first time it was being carried by a young girl and the second time by an old and obviously disabled woman. Didn’t know either of their backgrounds but the old lady was walking (with difficulty) with a stick in one hand and the torch in the other. Right behind her was a helper with her wheelchair. She was obviously in some discomfort but she had such a broad smile and was really enjoying herself. I felt quite uplifted seeing her determination to complete her stint on her own – you could almost describe it as Olympic spirit.
OK, so you have to go to these things with the right attitude of mind (and I’m someone that used to enjoy the Worthing Carnival on August Bank Holiday – even though the reality was a few dressed up coal lorries and the Sally Army band) but I believe you have to get what you can out of life. The alternative is to close the curtains and curl up in the corner muttering ‘bah humbug!’ - or stick to your virtual reality gaming.
For those people that ‘wouldn’t go to see it even if it was at the end of my street’ I just wonder what you would go to see.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Saw it twice in Worthing – outside the Guildbourne and then a few mins later at the top of Steyne Gardens. .

Both from the Warwick Arms ? Good planning :lolol:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
1746: Our last torchbearer here is Clare Forbes who contracted meningitis when she was 17 years old and lost both legs, some fingers, and suffered a brain injury to the cerebellum which has left her with a condition called downbeat nystagmus which covers balance and speech.

In 2005, she completed the London marathon in 19 hours and 10 minutes and in November 2005 she completed the New York Marathon in 12 hours and 19 minutes.

She has also completed the Great South Run and many 5k and 10k runs, all for charity, raising many thousands of pounds.

Clare was able to do this with the aid of her stepfather as her eyes and for balance.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I may be an old softy but I find this to be very emotional and makes the whole torch relay worthwhile. Good for you, Clare.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
1746: Our last torchbearer here is Clare Forbes who contracted meningitis when she was 17 years old and lost both legs, some fingers, and suffered a brain injury to the cerebellum which has left her with a condition called downbeat nystagmus which covers balance and speech.

In 2005, she completed the London marathon in 19 hours and 10 minutes and in November 2005 she completed the New York Marathon in 12 hours and 19 minutes.

She has also completed the Great South Run and many 5k and 10k runs, all for charity, raising many thousands of pounds.

Clare was able to do this with the aid of her stepfather as her eyes and for balance.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Taking 7 hours off your best time for the marathon in 8 months is quite an achievement.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
It was fantastic in Arundel. On another aspect, anyone see the front of today's Argus, I thought the copper was Adam el Abd, at first glance.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Taking 7 hours off your best time for the marathon in 8 months is quite an achievement.

Indeed. It was very moving to watch her run knowing a little of all the challenges that she's faced in her life.

From what I saw over the live stream before the signal went down, everybody who was there seemed to be having a wonderful time.

The flame will be over the North Seven Sisters Cliffs today with Beachy Head in the background. Weather permitting, it should be a great sight.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I keep trying to buy a genuine torch from ebay but they are all currently going for £4k+

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went to see it in Hove yesterday. Whilst it was fun I was quite surprised/shocked by the level of corporate advertising; all the kids were either waving Coca Cola disc things or banging these blue Sanyo objects together. A bit wierd really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here