Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
West Street, in Brighton

ws57.jpg

ws56.jpg

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
The Tesco shop there is interesting. I assume they must have bought up the neighbouring shops to build the old supermarket which is now the Komedia.

I don’t really remember the supermarket but used go there in the 80s when there were some great second hand record places in the building.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Gardner Street now Komedia
The Tesco shop there is interesting. I assume they must have bought up the neighbouring shops to build the old supermarket which is now the Komedia.

I don’t really remember the supermarket but used go there in the 80s when there were some great second hand record places in the building.
At one time it was an indoor market with different traders in there . There was a second hand record store called , I think Red Rat Records , run by a guy named Izzy .. I used to hang out there a lot and made my collection from there …

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Gardner Street now Komedia

At one time it was an indoor market with different traders in there . There was a second hand record store called , I think Red Rat Records , run by a guy named Izzy .. I used to hang out there a lot and made my collection from there …

Yep. Late 70’s and 80’s.

A bit like the one in Duke Street (with the Scientologists).

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I’m sure the nearest building is Pelham Street, the old technical college building, on Google Earth from above you can see it’s been demolished, but still there on Street View.
I went there when I did my plumbing training and there was another entrance / exit onto York Place with two doors and old signs saying Girls / Boys. I was told it was a school before the technical college.

The other building could be Coleman Street, now a children’s nursery but looks like an old church.
I used to live on Coleman St near the church and my daughter went to the nursery. The shape of the roof is different to the photo - it has 3 gable ends facing south west. There were quite a few other churches and schools in the area, some now demolished. I'm going to draw lines on a map to see if I can work it out.

By the way, the Golden Goose became The Geese have gone over the Water', now the Geese. It used to be (technically) my local.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I used to live on Coleman St near the church and my daughter went to the nursery. The shape of the roof is different to the photo - it has 3 gable ends facing south west. There were quite a few other churches and schools in the area, some now demolished. I'm going to draw lines on a map to see if I can work it out.
I did note the roof but thought as the photo isn’t really clear in the distance it may look different if the nursery was slightly side on.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I did note the roof but thought as the photo isn’t really clear in the distance it may look different if the nursery was slightly side on.
I might be wrong, but I think the building is the church (now flats) on the corner of Southover and Belgrave Streets.

The Constant Service pub on Islingword Road is so named because it's near the reservoir which provided a constant service of water to the relatively new area of Hanover. I don't think the site was ever built on. The old slipper baths are opposite the Constant Service - now also flats.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240812_103852_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240812_103852_Maps.jpg
    754.6 KB · Views: 31

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I might be wrong, but I think the building is the church (now flats) on the corner of Southover and Belgrave Streets.

The Constant Service pub on Islingword Road is so named because it's near the reservoir which provided a constant service of water to the relatively new area of Hanover. I don't think the site was ever built on. The old slipper baths are opposite the Constant Service - now also flats.
I didn’t know that’s how the Constant Service got it’s name, I’m sure it had a sign with pipes in a loop at one time.
Do you mean the reservoir mentioned on the previous page?

Edit - just found an old photo with the pub sign.

IMG_1500.jpeg

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Over at Portslade ,( it has aBN postcode) The old Rothbury cinema, Franklyn Rd. Personal memories of being taken as a small boy , then a bit later the Saturday morning kids shows where the man walked the aisle and shone his torch on you if you misbehaved.
IMG_0020.jpeg

Today it is just offices .

IMG_0021.png

Attachments

• IMG_0021.png
    IMG_0021.png
    230.4 KB · Views: 18

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Over at Portslade ,( it has aBN postcode) The old Rothbury cinema, Franklyn Rd. Personal memories of being taken as a small boy , then a bit later the Saturday morning kids shows where the man walked the aisle and shone his torch on you if you misbehaved.
View attachment 187108

Today it is just offices .

View attachment 187107
Was Southern Sound radio station for quite a while...used to live just around the corner in Norway Street and amusingly reception of the radio station wasn't fantastic, despite being so close. Clearly didn't transmit from there.

Dun Lurkin

Feb 20, 2023
Over at Portslade ,( it has aBN postcode) The old Rothbury cinema, Franklyn Rd.
That brings back memories. First cinema I took my girlfriend to (long since my wife) back in 1962. The film on was 'The Young Ones' with Cliff Richard (although I don't remember how much we saw in the back row!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Buckingham Rd / West Hill Place ?

Complete with an early Streamline cab

View attachment 187251

View attachment 187253

View attachment 187254
Back when taxis were a proper colour!

My dad worked on Brighton Streamline from the late 1950s until his retirement in the 1990s. From the front grill it looks like a Morris Oxford which was a popular model for cabs back then. My dad had a couple. The Streamline office is still in Clifton Hill and part of the building was a taxi only garage where "Uncle" Bernard used to work.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I didn’t know that’s how the Constant Service got it’s name, I’m sure it had a sign with pipes in a loop at one time.
Do you mean the reservoir mentioned on the previous page?

Edit - just found an old photo with the pub sign.

View attachment 186968
Yes, that's the reservoir I was referring to.

Edit: I was trying to find out more about this and came across this on My Brighton and Hove: https://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/topics/public-services/water-supply/water-supply-2

Bizarrely (for me), it also mentions the old Pumping Station at Saunders Park. The architect for the conversion of that to flats and the old Tesco in Gardner St to a cabaret venue was the same man - James someone or other - and I dealt with both planning applications.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here