Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Old Brighton Postcard

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
To the west of that, I think was Fiat dealer's Tilley’s, the site later became Oakley who sold high end Volva Penta powerboat engines. Dull information for the day :smile:.
I took a pale blue Fiat 127 for a test drive from that garage. Fortunately, I came to my senses.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Brighton Grammar School 1914 (BHASVIC)

1721417465294.png

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
What a great photo, it captures an atmosphere perfectly.
Any idea what these two places are?
I don't know what was down Cheapside before the Technical college. This?
It's 20 years since I left Brighton so I might have my bearings way out.
I’m sure the nearest building is Pelham Street, the old technical college building, on Google Earth from above you can see it’s been demolished, but still there on Street View.
I went there when I did my plumbing training and there was another entrance / exit onto York Place with two doors and old signs saying Girls / Boys. I was told it was a school before the technical college.

The other building could be Coleman Street, now a children’s nursery but looks like an old church.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I’m sure the nearest building is Pelham Street, the old technical college building, on Google Earth from above you can see it’s been demolished, but still there on Street View.
I went there when I did my plumbing training and there was another entrance / exit onto York Place with two doors and old signs saying Girls / Boys. I was told it was a school before the technical college.

The other building could be Coleman Street, now a children’s nursery but looks like an old church.
Thanks I'll have a look at some maps. The building in the distance looks pretty big considering how far away it is.
(Where's Father Ted to explain when I need him)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Thanks I'll have a look at some maps. The building in the distance looks pretty big considering how far away it is.
(Where's Father Ted to explain when I need him)
The building in the distance maybe isn’t there anymore, but the one I mentioned in Coleman Street does stand out amongst the rows of terraced houses.

Father Ted :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What a great photo, it captures an atmosphere perfectly.
Any idea what these two places are?
I don't know what was down Cheapside before the Technical college. This?
It's 20 years since I left Brighton so I might have my bearings way out.

In the distance - Finsbury Road School? My mum went there.
Near - Fawcett and Margaret Hardy schools. Both relocated to Patcham in the 60’s.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
In the distance - Finsbury Road School? My mum went there.
Near - Fawcett and Margaret Hardy schools. Both relocated to Patcham in the 60’s.
Thanks.
I've looked on Google maps because Google earth doesn't work well on my IPad.
I think Finsbury Road School would be more in line and almost behind St Peter's.
It looks to me that it's further North toward or past Elm Grove?
I'm just curious that there's a quite large building over there and I can't think what it could be.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I've just discovered Southover underground reservoir over that way that I had no idea about.
Any idea if there was a large building on there before it was built?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I've just discovered Southover underground reservoir over that way that I had no idea about.
Any idea if there was a large building on there before it was built?
I didn’t know that was there until a couple of years ago when I saw this photo.
Not sure how I didn’t know it was there as I grew up not that far away and had friends in that area.

IMG_0335.jpeg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thanks.
I've looked on Google maps because Google earth doesn't work well on my IPad.
I think Finsbury Road School would be more in line and almost behind St Peter's.
It looks to me that it's further North toward or past Elm Grove?
I'm just curious that there's a quite large building over there and I can't think what it could be.

I drew a map line from that SE corner of the railway station, over the roof of Hardy/Fawcett and came up with the Islingword area. Isn’t Elm Grove further north, and the church/school further up Elm Grove wasn’t a big size?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

It was indeed a school at York Place. My dad went there. If he was alive today, he would be 111 next month!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here