Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oh. So Liverpool fans can STAND on the Kop then.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
But you ignorant arrogant twat that is the FOOTBALL LEAGUE ruling BUT being a leeds fan i guess you don't give two fucks about them.

As for wannabe dictator the steward was probably following orders from his supervisor whom in turn was probably following orders from the control centre.

It is NOT safe to stand in a seated area and until the League recind the ruling and install SAFE terracing areas then we stewards are just doing our jobs.

If you don't like it f*** off and watch Rugby League :tosser:
Can you please explain why it isn't safe to stand in a seated area? Is it because your supervisor told you so.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Can you please explain why it isn't safe to stand in a seated area? Is it because your supervisor told you so.

No if one person at the back falls forward and the people in front start to fall a dominoe effect can happen and a lot of people get injured

EG an italian game circa 97 i think

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
No if one person at the back falls forward and the people in front start to fall a dominoe effect can happen and a lot of people get injured

EG an italian game circa 97 i think
Ok so that's one example. I've stood in hundreds of seating areas and never seen anyone injured. Accidents happen, if one person falls on a crowded train or platform the result is the same but there's no scaremongering about that.
Standing at football grounds is NOT dangerous.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Ok so that's one example. I've stood in hundreds of seating areas and never seen anyone injured. Accidents happen, if one person falls on a crowded train or platform the result is the same but there's no scaremongering about that.

Until 96 or so people get crushed to death:tosser:

Yes you are quite correct must have really hurt your intellect to figure that one out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IN SPECIALLY DESIGNED AREAS

And as a postscript yes i believe terraces should be brought back into the game

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Yes you are quite correct must have really hurt your intellect to figure that one out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IN SPECIALLY DESIGNED AREAS

And as a postscript yes i believe terraces should be brought back into the game
Well done, you've managed to shoehorn people getting crushed to death into your arguement, my point on scaremongering well and truely proven.
If I was you, I'd try and construct a sentence that makes sense before questioning someone's intellect.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Well done, you've managed to shoehorn people getting crushed to death into your arguement, my point on scaremongering well and truely proven.
If I was you, I'd try and construct a sentence that makes sense before questioning someone's intellect.

And what part of that didn't make sense??

So it's obvious two things
1 You do not know anyone whos life has been affected by a loss at a disaster
2 You have the "it'll never happen to me mentality"

Not an arguement at all!!!!!!!!!!! The League rules are there as part of the Taylor report and clubs can be fined for persistant breaking of the rules. Would that be a good thing for the club??

Scaremongering NO

As part of my main job I do risk assesments for a Large international company so i think i maybe slightly qualified to speak on this subject thanks

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
I went to THIS Liverpool messageboard last night:

Football Forum - LFC Online

Still, I got a few rants in on their "tonight" thread before they banned me. Touchy bunch of wankers though arn't they.

I was looking at that thinking 'he's not looking good on here, a few too many Stella's, but luckily he hasn't mentioned BHA yet...maybe he won't..' BUT then you did.. :dunce:

To be fair, you went in, shouted the odds, got stomped on, started to be nice and even had a supporter of your views :lol:

This reply just cracked me up:

What a fuckin' wool.

It's not our fault you support an absolute fanny of a side, is it?

And a sell out? If your footballing allegiances are parallel to your geographical location then you live in the biggest wannabe, iniquitous, borgeouis shithole in the country so don't even talk about "selling out" lad cos no doubt you've only ever bought in.

Cry me a river over your skinny latte you f***ing hom

nothing personal like but Brilliantly funny :thumbsup:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

It's the potential (as a lot of these things are). I can't really give an opinion to be honest, but the point of view is such.

The terraces (even in the old days) had crush barriers. By standing in a seated area, you are basically turning the seating area into a terrace without such a barrier.

Added to that, not only is there no crush barrier - but there is a low level sharp barrier (the seats) in front of you, right below your knees.

Imagine a terrace with low level barriers like that ? Look odd wouldn't it ?

There is another interesting issue which doesn't affect Withdean, but in the newer stadium (particularly in the high cheap seats) the gradient is so high, that you would never get away with creating a standing area there, it would be against the law. Completely different issue about what's deemed a safe gradient to stand on.

So complicated on the seating front. You could never allow everyone to stand everywhere, you would possibly have to apply for licences in areas where it was deemed safe.

Now of course, one thing that seating does is limit the amount of people you have in an enclosed space and of course, we've gone some years now without a major problem.

What I can't accept is the argument that standing in seating areas is inheritantly safe. By design (the areas are designed to be sat in) it can't be.

The other issue which is rarely mentioned is that basically it's easier to identify people in seated areas. That's wanted by the police and is a major reason why terraces will probably never return.

In response to crowded platforms they shut the platform, happens in London all the time. Problem with just thinking "accidents do happen" is that it opens the club up to somebody taking legal action against them. If that happened and were were unable to fulfill out fixtures while the authorities checked the stadium.. well I don't want to think about it.

Like it or not, the club have to be seen to be carrying out the rules - as well as simply carrying them out.

Last edited:

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
I was looking at that thinking 'he's not looking good on here, a few too many Stella's, but luckily he hasn't mentioned BHA yet...maybe he won't..' BUT then you did.. :dunce:

To be fair, you went in, shouted the odds, got stomped on, started to be nice and even had a supporter of your views :lol:

This reply just cracked me up:

What a fuckin' wool.

It's not our fault you support an absolute fanny of a side, is it?

And a sell out? If your footballing allegiances are parallel to your geographical location then you live in the biggest wannabe, iniquitous, borgeouis shithole in the country so don't even talk about "selling out" lad cos no doubt you've only ever bought in.

Cry me a river over your skinny latte you f***ing hom

nothing personal like but Brilliantly funny :thumbsup:

link?

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
It's the potential (as a lot of these things are). I can't really give an opinion to be honest, but the point of view is such.

And that is what risk assesment is for to minimise risk

What I can't accept is the argument that standing in seating areas is inheritantly safe. By design (the areas are designed to be sat in) it can't be.

Is correct and it would be the height of the barrier as you mentioned

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
And what part of that didn't make sense??

So it's obvious two things
1 You do not know anyone whos life has been affected by a loss at a disaster
2 You have the "it'll never happen to me mentality"

Not an arguement at all!!!!!!!!!!! The League rules are there as part of the Taylor report and clubs can be fined for persistant breaking of the rules. Would that be a good thing for the club??

Scaremongering NO

As part of my main job I do risk assesments for a Large international company so i think i maybe slightly qualified to speak on this subject thanks
The Taylor report is massively flawed, and was as much about combating hooliganism as it was about safety. The post from starry, which you decided to have a pop at, proves that the league rules are a contradiction. Why is it that everyone accepts that it's safe to stand at a rugby match, when it is considered unsafe to stand at a football match in the same stadium?

There's a good reason I have the 'It'll never happen to me' mentality, because statistically it never will happen.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
The Taylor report is massively flawed, and was as much about combating hooliganism as it was about safety. The post from starry, which you decided to have a pop at, proves that the league rules are a contradiction. Why is it that everyone accepts that it's safe to stand at a rugby match, when it is considered unsafe to stand at a football match in the same stadium?

There's a good reason I have the 'It'll never happen to me' mentality, because statistically it never will happen.

Lets hope it never happens to another fan of any sport at any stadium anywhere in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How is the Taylor report flawed??

Secondly if I was in charge of the super league rugby then i would also ban standing in seating areas as NOT SAFE but i would also install SAFE standing areas.

Just reread the taylor report and hardly a worthy mention of hooliganism at all

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Sorry, but where does "everyone accepts that it's safe to stand at a rugby match"

And how can you prove statistically something will never happen ?

Statistically you could say that smoking on the underground was safe until the Kings Cross disaster.

I'm all for the return of terraces by the way, what I wouldn't argue for a blanket rule that said you can stand in seating areas.

It you want that, it becomes very complicated as mentioned above.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The other thing about standing in a seated area is that it can be a selfish activity, particulary if those behind find it difficult.

( Just to reinterate I'd prefer to stand )

I had a bit of a run in with a infamous poster on here, because he was standing (the only one standing :) ) in the South Stand in front of an elderly couple.

They asked really nicely if you could sit down (not ALL the time, just SOME of the time) and he ignored them.

I stepped in and was abused.

Quite simply I like to see standing areas and seating area and those who choose to sit for the vast majority of the game are allowed to do so.

Those wanting to stand should also be allowed to do so, but in a different area.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Lets hope it never happens to another fan of any sport at any stadium anywhere in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How is the Taylor report flawed??

Secondly if I was in charge of the super league rugby then i would also ban standing in seating areas as NOT SAFE but i would also install SAFE standing areas.

Just reread the taylor report and hardly a worthy mention of hooliganism at all

Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind.
Terry Pratchett

I really don't understand the efforts here by some to get at steward433.

Do people really think it is inherently safe to stand in an area with seats? Where one person falling could cause serious injury not only to themselves but to others around them? Especially given the amount that some have to drink before going to the football! :lolol:

The enforcement of all seater stadium has made the problem worse, not better, as now it is a lot harder to control. The answer, of course, is to bring back some terraces. Unfortunately, it looks like that will never happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here