perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Not Sexy Football.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Every time the commentator says the name Victorino I think of Ned Flanders :lolol:

I'm sure the bloke's just called Victor really.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
A Germany v Holland final would be SO epic.

Thing is, I don't want the Germans to have a sniff, so I'd sooner see Spain go through tomorrow, playing like they are capable of playing.

And then I'd be torn. Spain are EASILY the better footballing side BUT I'm an Englishman and a country working hard, getting a bit of luck and not necessarily wowing everyone with their skills to take the glory, thirty plus years since the last time a far more talented squad of theirs came close would just be some kind of poetry really.

Mind you, assuming the Spaniards do make it tomorrow (and it's by NO means a cert) it will be great to have a final between two teams who've never made it there in my life time, and in Spain's case, never even made it to a semi final!

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
watched the game in a beer garden in munich. pretty friendly atmosphere, about a 70/30 split towards uruguay but most folk seem pretty up for a holland v germany final!

would love spain to get through but a germany v holland match-up definitely has the potential for a cracking game!!

just gotta sit through the germany match in berlin tomorrow now hahah

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It is a tad depressing when you see teams (as in 2006) that don't look all that - but they get to the final. Is it so bloody difficult ? Why doesn't even the law of averages apply ?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It is a tad depressing when you see teams (as in 2006) that don't look all that - but they get to the final. Is it so bloody difficult ? Why doesn't even the law of averages apply ?

Didn't the commentator say that Holland are unbeaten in 26 games now and have won their last 10 matches (including one against Brazil)? That does imply they're more than just an ordinary team.

And as Germany have scored four goals against two top 10 teams, I certainly don't see how you can say they "don't look all that"

Spain, I agree, look ordinary but I think that both Holland and Germany look pretty good.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Meh. England would have beaten both those teams easily with the players we've got. Such a pity that once again a combination of managerial ineptitude and cheating foreigners has robbed us of our rightful place in the World Cup final.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Didn't the commentator say that Holland are unbeaten in 26 games now and have won their last 10 matches (including one against Brazil)? That does imply they're more than just an ordinary team.

And as Germany have scored four goals against two top 10 teams, I certainly don't see how you can say they "don't look all that"

Spain, I agree, look ordinary but I think that both Holland and Germany look pretty good.

I do appreciate they are a more than a decent team - and it was a semi-final so it wasn't likely to be free-flowing football - but they didn't look world beaters. And that should have been our side of the draw. It shows how poor we were. Another missed opportunity.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia

I think he said 28, and the last team to beat was........Australia, in Holland!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I do appreciate they are a more than a decent team - and it was a semi-final so it wasn't likely to be free-flowing football - but they didn't look world beaters. And that should have been our side of the draw. It shows how poor we were. Another missed opportunity.

But Uruguay have shown that they're a decent team and not easy to beat. As you say, in a semi-final against a good team, you wouldn't expect pretty football but they scored three goals, two of them pretty good ones, and you can't really expect more.

If England played Holland, I don't think we'd concede four but I think we'd be well beaten.

The disappointment for me is that this Dutch team could win the World Cup when their flair team of Cruyff, Rep, Krol, Neeskens, Haan, Rensenbrink, Van der Kerkhof etc (and how they trip off the tongue after more than 30 years) coudn't.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
But Uruguay have shown that they're a decent team and not easy to beat. As you say, in a semi-final against a good team, you wouldn't expect pretty football but they scored three goals, two of them pretty good ones, and you can't really expect more.

If England played Holland, I don't think we'd concede four but I think we'd be well beaten.

The disappointment for me is that this Dutch team could win the World Cup when their flair team of Cruyff, Rep, Krol, Neeskens, Haan, Rensenbrink, Van der Kerkhof etc (and how they trip off the tongue after more than 30 years) coudn't.

I agree with all that. They both look well drilled teams - both with two outstanding players. All credit to Uruguay for having two excellent forwards. And the big difference all players look comfortable on the ball - and know what they are doing.

As you say this Dutch team does not look a patch on previous era - even more recently with Gullit, Van Basten and Rijkaard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here