Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** Official World Cup 2010 Semi-Final Thread: Netherlands v Uruguay ***

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I assume that wasn't a response to my post.
Not at all. I had to check back because I thought your post was something to do with Ned Flanders, but then I realise you made an earlier one about how teams get to the final who aren't all that and when will it be our turn? Totally agree, but that's football for you. Before the W.C. started I think about 99% of the people on here accepted that if it went to form and taking each team on its merits we weren't going to win. FIFA have (had) us ranked 8th in the world, so the quarter-finals is where we 'should' have got to. However as we all well know football doesn't work like that and consequently I genuinely believed we had an outside chance - but it required our preparations to be spot on (which they weren't), our players to play to their potential (which they didn't), and it would also need the luck and the rub of the green to go our way (which it didn't).

Now I'm just trying to explain away our failure. Maybe next time eh?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
More importantly than all this DRIVEL about the relative merits of the teams, how GREAT did the Dutch WAGS look, when the camera panned on them during that game? :love: :love: :love:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Paraniod ? Me ?

I can't see it. I don't mind that we don't win - just not embarrassing will do. Just play as a team and look as though we know what we are doing can't be too much to ask. And ideally - show a bit of spark.
It is the little things that make the difference at this level. One of the main differences I've noticed is that the good sides are able to keep possession even when on the verge of losing it, by a series of little passes (often in vulnerable areas) where the ball is never quite under control, but where the opposition don't have it either, and in the end the space is finally created for a player to actually put his foot on it. With England you'll get one or two of these touches before someone hoofs it clear.

The basic principle of football seems to be forgotten with our lot. You can only score if you have the ball, and your opponents can't score if you've got it.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It is the little things that make the difference at this level. One of the main differences I've noticed is that the good sides are able to keep possession even when on the verge of losing it, by a series of little passes (often in vulnerable areas) where the ball is never quite under control, but where the opposition don't have it either, and in the end the space is finally created for a player to actually put his foot on it. With England you'll get one or two of these touches before someone hoofs it clear.

The basic principle of football seems to be forgotten with our lot. You can only score if you have the ball, and your opponents can't score if you've got it.
I would still maintain (despite all the apparent evidence to the contrary) that on a player-for-player basis the German team was not better than England. However if you watch the Germans when they have the ball they nearly ALWAYS seem to pick the right option. They know when to go long, they know when to go short, they know when to pass backwards, pass sideways or pass forwards. They know when to shoot or when to pass to a colleague who's better placed. Our lot just don't seem to have that tactical awareness, indeed it was interesting to hear Joe Cole say that teams he's played in, including England, just like to hit the front players early and that simply doesn't work at top-level football.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I would still maintain (despite all the apparent evidence to the contrary) that on a player-for-player basis the German team was not better than England. However if you watch the Germans when they have the ball they nearly ALWAYS seem to pick the right option. They know when to go long, they know when to go short, they know when to pass backwards, pass sideways or pass forwards. They know when to shoot or when to pass to a colleague who's better placed. Our lot just don't seem to have that tactical awareness, indeed it was interesting to hear Joe Cole say that teams he's played in, including England, just like to hit the front players early and that simply doesn't work at top-level football.
Yes but knowing when to pick the right pass, and when to keep hold of the ball is part of being a good player.

So for example, Wayne Rooney should know that he can turn and run at Danny Shittu, but might have less joy when up against Phillip Lahm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here