Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OFFICIAL: We are a soft touch as 300,000 Polish gyppo's on way to England...

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
From today's Sun:

By OLIVER HARVEY in Kezmarok, Slovakia

GIPSIES determined to flee grinding poverty in Eastern Europe are preparing to flood into Britain in their thousands.

They are counting the days until May 1 when countries such as Poland and Slovakia join the EU, a Sun investigation has revealed.

Britain has pledged to welcome them with open arms — unlike EU partners such as France, Germany, Italy and Spain. And yesterday one grateful Polish dad-of-two told us: “We are all desperate to go to Britain. We want a better life.

“I will get the bus to London in May, definitely.”

Influx ... migrants from Eastern Europe to UK
A jobless neighbour — also a Roma gipsy — vowed: “I will sell everything I own and buy bus tickets for all the family.”

The gipsies we spoke to in Poland and Slovakia — among 1.5 million Roma who will suddenly become EU citizens — insisted they wanted to come to the UK to work.

Once here they will be entitled to the same health, education, pension and welfare benefits as the rest of us. Other EU countries like France and Germany have ruled out free access to jobs for up to seven years.

But Britain and Ireland will grant full rights from day one.

As many as five buses a day leave Warsaw on the 26-hour journey to London via Dover. A one-way ticket costs £40.

Father-of-two Daniel Dolinski told of his dream of a new life in Britain as he stood among 30 gipsies outside pitiful shacks in Mielec, Poland. The town’s 700 Roma are the poorest of the poor — discriminated against and unable to get jobs. Skinheads have daubed swastikas and racist slogans on walls.

Daniel, 27, said: “I can be a labourer in Britain. We’ll be treated better there. The housing is better.

Desperate ... Vladimir and family dream of UK
“We want to live like humans. We get £44 a month from the government. There are very few jobs and they all go to Polish people.

“The women make money by doing fortune telling. They make at most £1.50 a time. Roma are attacked by skinheads. The old people can’t walk the streets at night.”

A few doors away, two tiny rooms are home to the Bazalinski family — unemployed dad Ryszard, 28, mum Bozena, 35, and their six children.

They have been to Britain before — living in Liverpool until they were deported last year. Daughter Roksana, 11, was treated for a bowel condition on the NHS.

Ryszard, who sends his family to beg on the streets, said: “We will return to Britain as soon as we can.

“In Liverpool we were given a big house with nine rooms and the children went to school.” Gipsy leader Adam Andrasz, 48, said 50,000 Roma live in Poland — and ALL want to join the 6,000 already in the UK. He admitted: “Roma going to Britain may need some support from the Government. But once they have the education and skill they will work.”

Ready to move ... Daniel (second left) wants to support his family here
The British embassy in Warsaw has even produced a leaflet for the gipsies. Envoy Tim Simmons, 43, said: “We told the Roma they will be welcomed in Britain if they go there to work and pay taxes.

“But if they have no intention of working they will not be welcomed.”

The EU expansion will welcome 73 million former communist bloc citizens. Poland’s neighbour Slovakia is among the ten nations joining.

It has an estimated 650,000 gipsies — and Roma leaders predict 40 per cent will leave.

Near the town of Kezmarok we found dozens already getting ready.

Supply line ... villager collects water from communal pipe
The gipsy ghetto where 1,200 live in the village of Strane Pod Tatrami is like something out of the Dark Ages. The open sewers and filthy wooden hovels shame a nation about to become Britain’s EU partner. Drinking water is collected in buckets. Men scavenge daily for firewood.

Carpenter Milan Badzo, 28, a dad of two, said: “I am learning English and have saved for the fare.”

Woodcutter Gustav Baco, 37, shares a two-room hut with his wife, four children and their gran. He picks berries and mushrooms to feed his family. He said: “I dream of going to England to work.” Vladimir Badzo, 35, said through an interpreter: “I’ll take my family. I’ll do anything.”

Escape route ... daily buses
head to London for a £40 fare
Labour MP Paul Stinchcombe, 41, said last night: “I have written to ministers saying countries that do not improve their living conditions for their Roma people like Slovakia should not be admitted to the EU.”

But the exodus is not confined to gipsies. Other poverty-stricken Eastern Europeans plan to join it.

Warsaw cabbie Mariosz Wozniak, 28, said he wanted to come to Britain, explaining: “My wife Agata and I haven’t had children because we can’t afford to support them.”

What they get in Strane Pod Tatrami

HOUSING: Dilapidated wooden shacks. No central heating, no sewerage. No running water. Water is from a communal pipe.

The toilets for a village of 1,200 are a series of holes in the ground. Wood is chopped from the forest each day.

BENEFITS: Unemployment benefit is £83 a month. Unemployment among the Roma people in the village is 98 per cent.

EDUCATION: Schoolchildren walk a six-mile round trip in sub-zero temperatures.

They face discrimination in education and jobs.

CLIMATE: Winter temperatures down to -20° C.
What they get in Great Britain

HOUSING: Access to council housing. Housing benefit. Hot and cold running water, sewerage and public services.

BENEFITS: Income Support of £54.65 a week, Council Tax benefit, extra payments for children and a minimum of £105 a week for pensioners. Work prospects also much improved as UK unemployment is just 4.9 per cent

EDUCATION: Multi-ethnic.

HEALTH: Free health care. Free vouchers for glasses, free dentistry, free school meals, free milk and vitamins for pregnant women.

CLIMATE: Winter temperatures rarely much below -5° C.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Quite a few Polish people escaped to here during the Second World war.

I live opposite one in Portslade. He was an extremely hard working and decent bloke.

I know one or two Polish people in Huddersfield too. Valuable members of society.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
More bollocks from the Sun.

The only East Europeans that shouldn't have been allowed into the UK are the Cheeky Girls :)

Dandyman

In London village.
Any chance of swopping some of our brain dead Sun reading white trash for a few Poles/Roma ?

Nov 3, 2003

“But if they have no intention of working they will not be welcomed.”

more loony lefties in gov't - what about the millions outta work already over here?????:dunce: govern't

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
Good on the UK and Ireland.

Surely if you are letting countries join the EU, then citizens of these countries should be afforded the same rights as other EU citizens.

Excellent news. These people want to work and pay taxes.

We need more young taxpayers to keep layabouts like me in comfort when we get older and start draining the resources of the NHS.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There will be an increase in the numbers of people from the new EU countries arriving in the UK after the admission date, that fact is indisputable.There are all sorts of repercussions.

In the short-term the amount of work available will not change and so many of these people will be working illegally for lower wages than other UK workers. The increase in numbers, and the displacement of UK workers, is likely to increase the amount of crime and the size of the black economy.

Pavilionaire said:
In the short-term the amount of work available will not change and so many of these people will be working illegally for lower wages than other UK workers.
No. These people are EU citizens and will therefore be working legally.

Pavilionaire said:
The increase in numbers, and the displacement of UK workers, is likely to increase the amount of crime and the size of the black economy.
Is this because the people you describe as "displaced UK workers" are no good at working, or unwilling to take on certain types of employment?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Many of the influx will go straight into the Black Economy, so it doesn't matter that they're from the wider EU as they'll be working cash in hand which is illegal.

Secondly, if you're a low paid UK working class building site odd-job bloke earning £50 per day cash in hand and a Pole comes in and works for £40 per day what are you going to do?

Crime figures will, inevitably, go up as people have to make ends meet - same amount of jobs, more people, you do the maths...

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Despite all the immigration that has taken place over the last 40 years the UK population has remained roughly the same.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yorkie said:
Despite all the immigration that has taken place over the last 40 years the UK population has remained roughly the same.

It's gone up since I were a lad but that's more to do with people living longer than mass immigration. Until comparatively recently, more people emigrated than moved here.

But in principle Yorkie's right, the country assimilates large number of people from all parts of the world and it doesn't add greatly to the population.

And as Lord B said, we need these people to pay for our pensions.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
Excellent news. These people want to work and pay taxes.

We need more young taxpayers to keep layabouts like me in comfort when we get older and start draining the resources of the NHS.

:lolol: funny because its true!

Dandyman

In London village.
Pavilionaire said:
Many of the influx will go straight into the Black Economy, so it doesn't matter that they're from the wider EU as they'll be working cash in hand which is illegal.

Secondly, if you're a low paid UK working class building site odd-job bloke earning £50 per day cash in hand and a Pole comes in and works for £40 per day what are you going to do?

Crime figures will, inevitably, go up as people have to make ends meet - same amount of jobs, more people, you do the maths...

To which the answer is surely to prevent employers exploiting their workforce. Enforce minimum wage legislation, H&S rules, etc,etc.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
attila said:
The Sun is a toilet accessory masquerading as a newspaper.

Good to see Attila can still sum up the essence of a thread in under 10 words. "Jingo Bells" is a bit of a classic of his, if anyone requires clarification on his views on The Sun.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Dandyman said:
To which the answer is surely to prevent employers exploiting their workforce. Enforce minimum wage legislation, H&S rules, etc,etc.

What, you mean get rid of the Black Economy?

Let's get real here, there will always be cash in hand work off the books, particularly in semi / unskilled labour jobs. The expansion of the EU is great news for the unscrupulous contractor.

Talk to any employer and they all complain about the extra red tape since Blair came in, and higher taxes. It is tempting to pay cash in hand and tell the worker that they are responsible for their own taxation affairs so save time, money and effort.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here