Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Well that was session one for this week, (the 4th week) Now its up to 1 minute jog/ 2 minute walk, repeated 8 times in all. Works out as six laps of my local park and comes to 1.62 miles for the 24 minute session. Result? felt good but was a real test after about 1/3 of the way through for a couple of minutes, then reasonably ok. Did a 45 min session of Badminton last night so felt it in the joints a bit today. Overall am happy with it today though.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Does anyone use hydration belts/packs when they do the longer (non event) runs?

When I start upping my distances to approx 10-15 miles Im thinking that Ill probably need to invest in one.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Does anyone use hydration belts/packs when they do the longer (non event) runs?

When I start upping my distances to approx 10-15 miles Im thinking that Ill probably need to invest in one.

I use the Decathlon version of the Camelback (small backpack with a bladder/tube). Not only can you then get in all the fluid you want for the run, but its also important to get some energy in on longer training runs, so can put gels etc in back pack, along with phone (in case you break down miles from home-as I have in past)!

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Happy Christmas to all NSC's finest runners.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Happy Christmas to all NSC's finest runners.

You too LB et al, although on official post race slob down since Abingdon marathon in mid October. Will though be back pounding the streets in early Jan in an effort to break the 3'30 at Brighton in April.

So going to make the most of the mince pies and sherry over next couple of weeks before the hard yards start again!!

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
I'm running the Brighton maraton in April for the first time. It will be 16 weeks from Sunday and I've seen a lot of 16 week training plans on the web. Can anyone recommend a good one to use?

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I'm running the Brighton maraton in April for the first time. It will be 16 weeks from Sunday and I've seen a lot of 16 week training plans on the web. Can anyone recommend a good one to use?

I was recommended one of Runners Worlds programmes, different ones available for different standards. Go on their website, runnersworld.co.uk & under training you will find it. Good luck.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
[MENTION=5040]Dirty Dave[/MENTION]

Have you been running for any length of time or a JCL to running?

If it's the former try googling Pfitzinger & Douglas. You can put one straight onto a training log Here et Fetcheveryone.com

Otherwise as Lord B says Runners World have every variant possible

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Have been running for a few months, couple of times a week. 10k takes me about 44 minutes at the moment. I was having a look at the 3 days a week training programme on Runners World but will take a look at the other one you suggested, thanks

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was recommended one of Runners Worlds programmes, different ones available for different standards. Go on their website, runnersworld.co.uk & under training you will find it. Good luck.

This. I use them and they are great. They have a vast range to choose from to suit all target times and weekly commitment. I think you might have to subscribe to the mag to get them though. This is not a bad thing as the mag will have tons of marathon features and tips and races you can sign up for. On this latter point try and undertake organised races as opposed to pounding the streets for your long Sunday run.

Chamberpot

Jan 5, 2010
Will be competing in the Brighton marathon in 2012, and has been training since may this year and has lost a considerable amount of weight ;) I run a fair bit now, but when I was a member of my local gym I couldn't keep any stamina and stayed relatively chunky. I'm looking forward to next year

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Will be competing in the Brighton marathon in 2012, and has been training since may this year and has lost a considerable amount of weight ;) I run a fair bit now, but when I was a member of my local gym I couldn't keep any stamina and stayed relatively chunky. I'm looking forward to next year

Good luck to you and everyone else running 2012.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I shall be taking a roundabout route back home from work this morning thus completing week 2 of my 4 months to a 4 hour marathon training schedule. If all goes to plan that'll be shaving over 35 minutes off last years time. The new route looks like it may be a little faster? Not half an hour faster though :(

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Just about to go out for my last run of the year.
It's also my31st daily run of december!
Base training done, marathon schedule starts next week.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Just about to go out for my last run of the year.
It's also my31st daily run of december!
Base training done, marathon schedule starts next week.

Ditto

Apart from the 31st daily run!

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Did anyone (Lord Bamber / Chimneys?) ever hear back from the club about running vests?

I still reckon they'd be popular. Runners would buy 'em in the correct size whilst if you brought an enormous one, they'd be like a BHA Basketball top!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have now got a place in the 2012 NYC marathon, and just been put through my paces by Fred at Run in Hove in the name of new shoes. Three times around the block and I ended up with some Brooks. I'm rather knackered now. Thanks for the Run tip...they're good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here